taffclarke

twin otter question (for a pilot )

i had an interesting question today from somebody interested in a -27 what does it cost per hour for fuel?
and how much per hour for skydiving anybody have an answer on what the fuel consumption is
thanks
safety enjoyment learning, sel the sport. dont kill it.

There is also some good information regarding typical jump aircraft here:

http://www.utilityaircraft.com/acbuyercomparison2008-9prices.xls

Although, this is from the PAC 750XL webiste, so it may be a little biased and errors may exisist. But, it should give you a rough estimate.

580 sounds a really high. I wonder what size engines the NOAA Otter has and if it is carrying a full load of equipment when it flies?

Cimbing on a typical jump run at 30 gals is around 210 lbs, if there are 3 loads per hour that would be 630 lbs hr. But this is up and down with no cruising.

Maybe Chris can help us out with his fuel burn/hr when he sees this.

And please don't flame me...I know it is not exactly 7 lbs per gal, but was to lazy to look it up again.

Blue skies,

Jim

Rule of thumb is 33 gallons per load at 2 to 3 loads per hour. At altitude cruising, it is about 200 lbs (US) per hour or roughly 28 gal per hour.

Maintenance accrual runs $125 per hour.

33! Holy cow. I was running sub 25 average. Of course airspace constraints will very and we owned the airport so pretty much the airspace was ours to do what we wanted in Ottawa.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

From memory I think I planned a cruise at @10k of 600pph total but it may have been slightly less than that. That was max cruise I believe and not max endurance.

When I was cranking loads I would land in about 1,000 feet and pull off into the ramp/boarding area. If I was cranking loads I would be rolling on my takeoff as the last tandem I dropped at 13k AGL was landing.

Most loads I did in one day was 37. Most loads I know having been done to full altitude in a day is 42 (done same day I did 37). That was a 10 dollar boogie years ago. Mark got a one hour jump on me that day. The bastahd.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

22-25 gal per load sounds right to me as well. 600 pounds per hour at 10K also sounds correct if the handles are all the way forward but you can get it back to 500 or less without sacrificing much airspeed.

By the way, if we could get another dawn to dusk day here I'm convinced I could beat Marks record. In fact I think 50 loads is well within reach....with 10EA...with -34's

-Dave;)

Skydive Radio

22-25 gal per load sounds right to me as well. 600 pounds per hour at 10K also sounds correct if the handles are all the way forward but you can get it back to 500 or less without sacrificing much airspeed.

By the way, if we could get another dawn to dusk day here I'm convinced I could beat Marks record. In fact I think 50 loads is well within reach....with 10EA...with -34's

-Dave;)

No comparrison. You changed the rules. Nope record stands. Will have to put an asteric next to your 50!

LOL...B|
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Rule of thumb is 33 gallons per load at 2 to 3 loads per hour. At altitude cruising, it is about 200 lbs (US) per hour or roughly 28 gal per hour.

Maintenance accrual runs $125 per hour.

Cause every one understand the hourly accrual :P

An accrual is like a savings account that you use to pay maintainance expenses and to give you a base to be able to estimate future maintainance expenses.

In our case, we add money to a maintainance account each month based on the number of hours flown. Over the years we have adjusted the amount needed to keep the cash balance constant after paying repairs, maintainance inspections, and general maintainance expenses.

Some years it runs $75 per hour and some years higher because of expenses that you don;t incur every year (eg., engine hot sections).

This year it is running at $125 per flight hour.

This makes it easier to estimate costs.

Blue skies,

Jim