NewGuy2005

Car Battery in Trunk

I've always heard that you should not put gear in a car's trunk that has carried a car battery. I had a battery in my trunk for 5 days.

1) How true is the above statement?
2) If it is true, does 5 days count?
3) If it does, can I still carry gear if I have it in a suitcase?
4) Most important: Do you think this would make a good mythbusters episode?

>1) How true is the above statement?

Fairly true. If the battery has ever been overfilled, or has sprayed electrolyte during an overcharge (not uncommon) then there's acid on the case, and it will get on the carpeting. The insidious part of it is that it won't dissolve anything (carpeting or nylon it touches) until it gets wet six months later.

>If it does, can I still carry gear if I have it in a suitcase?

Sure, just stick it in a bag.

I would be careful, you can get sealed cell batteries though that won't discharge. If you want to be sure your carpet is cool, get some baking soda and scrub it into the carpet with water, that should neutralize it. Use a wet vacuum cleaner to get it out. Gear bag has to be the safest way though.

i lost my first canopy to this. battery acid eats the fabric. leaves acid burns in material. the acid even messed up the paint under the carpet. since then i always make sure my rig is packed and in the gear bag and i never trans port a battery in the trunk without putting it in a plastic bag.

if the car has the battery mounted in the trunk i would only put the gear bag in the back seat.

if the car has the battery mounted in the trunk i would only put the gear bag in the back seat.

That's the situation wtih my car...why they chose to mount the battery in the trunk makes no sense to me, but hey, thats a topic for a different thread. From now on, i will carry my gear bag in the backseat. Thanks for the info.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

> Hrm, my car battery is in my trunk.

So's mine, but it's a sealed AGM battery _under_ the bottom of the floor in the back. So we haven't had any problems. The problem comes about if:

1) the battery is above the floor
2) it's not in a closed compartment
3) it's flooded (i.e. has liquid water in it)
4) you ever put a regular battery in the trunk.

my car battery is mounted in the trunk as well, but it's mounted in a recess below the level of the trunk floor. i have my gear in a bag as well, so i'm not concerned about contamination.

not sure what kind of car you have sunshine, but i was told mine was in the trunk for balance. if i didn't have air conditioning, the battery would be under the hood. [unsure] i just know it's convenient if i give someone a boost, i have access to power from either end of the car!

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001