showithers

Skydiving Without Jumpsuit

Your biggest concern is your top (shirt/jumper) flying up and covering your emergency handles.

I wear a tight long sleeve shirt, tucked into jeans with a very tight belt and have no problems so far.

That being said, I'm just waiting for my custom rel suit to arrive.

Road rash on body parts that are usually protected by the jumpsuit.

Don't forget to leave your wallet and keys and cell phone on the ground.

Amen to the wallet advice. I still have a rather nasty bruise from my wallet and a hard landing on a windy day.

I have a couple of places on my suit I need to repair, the knees mostly, that would be skin repairing if I were wearing shorts.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Wear one. It saved my butt at Skydive Atlanta a few weeks ago. I slid in on the runway and tore my suit up but not a scratch on me.

Those of you that want to say I shouldn't be on the runway......you're right but just proves you should wear a jumpsuit. Anything that will protect the skin. You never know what the next landing may bring.

Anything can happen. I have done many jumps without my jumpsuit. I've jumped in shorts and t-shirts with no problems. Just got to make sure the shirt tails are tucked in your pants securely. One of my favorite jumps is a 10 way no-touch proximity star where everyone was wearing shorts and t-shirts. We all were close enough to take grips, but didn't by plan, and that was a beach jump to boot. It was a lot of fun. We all had shit-eating grins.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Went out last weekend and decided to try to jump without a jumpsuit for the first time. Noticed allot more drag since I was wearing baggy sweatpants and I must admit sunset run was pretty cold in a T-Shirt (well tucked in) other then that it went pretty well. This also coincided with some canopy downsizing so the DZO warned me about getting my clothes dirty... I did not!!!;)

Your biggest concern is your top (shirt/jumper) flying up and covering your emergency handles.

Of course there is a way around that problem, too. ;);)

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Just be careful your belt buckle isn't a snag hazard.

Re: cell phone & wallet, I don't usually carry my full wallet (but often do when visiting or at a boogie), I do always carry a bit of cash, & a credit card with me, in a tight little bundle in a small ziplock bag - just in case I have a very-out landing. Also carry 1 peice of ID on me... just in case, you know? I also carry my cell phone. Yes, I know it might bruise me or get broken, but if I've got an out landing (or am injured) I want to be able to call, or be called by, the folks at the DZ. Also like to have it on hand in case I need to call 911. Personally, I think everyone should jump with a cell phone...but that's just me.

that is a very good idea, its a good thing i have dog tags, heres another thought in that line, when i deploy overseas, i place a dogtag on my boot string at the bottom lace of my boot and tuck it under the rest of the laces, it doesnt bother me under my armor and its there for ID, in my pocket is a set of dog tags. so maybe having a set made for yourself is maybe a good idea

whats the concensus on pulling your blue tooth out under canopy and trying to make a phone call... :S

Fly it like you stole it

I wanted to know if there was really anything bad that can come out of making a jump without a jumpsuit? Is it any worse?

If you have clear access to your main pilot chute, cutaway handle and reserve handle, jumping without a skydiving designed jumpsuit is perfectly fine.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I had a fun experience during aff with a jump suit. It was the type that had 2 zippers down the front, and I guess they didn't like staying zipped because midway through the jump it opened up and completely covered my handles. In my limited experience, I didn't try to mess with it and just pulled like normal (my pc was still fine) but I made sure when I got down to get some safety pins and attach them to the zippers, for the next guy. So, T shirts aren't that scary for me, just gotta be tight fitting.

The jumpsuit is not protective clothing, it might prevent some road rash, but that's it.

Normal clothing has it's dangers, it has been discussed here earlier: Pocket linings and strings to tighten pants or jackets can cover or otherwise interfere with the main handle and shirts can cover the emergency handles, so make sure none of these things can happen. (there are lots of pants without pockets or with zipper pockets only, and a tight singlet or t-shirt might be tucked into the trousers). I would also not jump with a red T-shirt, as my cutaway handle is red. Covered or blocked handles has caused fatalities in the past.

If you jump naked, you will of course be completely free of snag points and fabric that can cover your handles. And if you don't feel comfortable landing your canopy naked, then you need a bigger canopy.

;)

But the normal jumpsuit is a lot better to fly in than shorts or naked, so I recommend the jumpsuit.:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Road rash on body parts that are usually protected by the jumpsuit.

Don't forget to leave your wallet and keys and cell phone on the ground.

I personally like to take my cell phone with me, in case i have a off DZ landing and no one saw where i landed that way i can call the DZ to let them know i have landed off site and i don't have to walk my ass back home! Gotta love the cargo pockets on!!!
Wanna Hug It Out, Lets Hug It Out..Bitch!

I wanted to know if there was really anything bad that can come out of making a jump without a jumpsuit? Is it any worse?

With the advice in mind here, do it anyway. It's a great feeling to have all that wind blowing on your skin, and feeling the hairs vibrate on your arms and legs.

And if you don't feel comfortable landing your canopy naked, then you need a bigger canopy.

Bravo !! Most excellent advice! Even if a person has no intention to jump naked, that is excellent advice.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

If you jump naked, you will of course be completely free of snag points and fabric that can cover your handles.

Well, not completely.

I will, at any rate. I don't think a line can snag on a boob.

:D
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?