showithers

Dropzone That Accept Skydivers Under 16

I know that it isn't illegal to go skydiving under 16, but just against the USPA policy; I was wondering if anyone knows of a dropzone that would take someone under 16. (I don't care where as long as it is in the US).

Also, please keep this discussion out of wind tunnels!

Thanks for your posts ahead of time.

The only DZ that will take kids that I know of is those guys over at the Russellville, Kentucky Airport. I don't know much about them, but I took my kid over there last year and had a lot of fun. The last I heard they were having some kind of problem with their airplane. A guy that I know in Alabama told me that they are scheduled to get going like the first week of Sept. I live in Mississippi and don't get around much, but the only other one that I've heard of is I believe, in Oregon, or Nevada or something like that.
Hope that helps.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

I was just on the website, and can't tell if it means that you need to be 16 to make just a tandem, or make a skydive at all; it says...

Due to equipment limitations, tandem students must weigh no more than 230 pounds. You must be 16 years or older, and be in good physical health to skydive. Physically challenged people may skydive. Persons taking prescription drugs or having a recent injury or illness that would require a doctor's evaluation, must have a doctor's certificate stating that no adverse effects would result from vigorous activity or making a skydive. Minors must have a notarized waiver before the day of your jump. Please contact us at 910-904-0000 for details.

All of the DZs in Oklahoma, to my knowledge, will take jumpers at 16 with parents consent form signed.

We have one that just made her first jump on Sunday and another one who is set to get off the static line and make his first freefall next weekend.

Blue Ones,
Gump

Most dropzones that offer skydives for 16 year olds only allow them to do Static Line or AFF. Tandems usually are required to be 18.

Raeford allows 16 year olds to do AFF.

Where grographically located are you? We may be able to find closer DZ's for you at 16, under 16 (ie 12 or 15) you will not have any real options.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If the airplane keeps breaking it might be in your best interests to look at other dropzones. ;) Start Skydiving in Ohio takes 16 year olds on AFF with notorized form as does Raeford in NC. Skydive Greensburg in IN will take tandems at 16 and AFF at 18.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Most dropzones that offer skydives for 16 year olds only allow them to do Static Line or AFF. Tandems usually are required to be 18.

That is because tandem manufactures (especially the Relative Workshop/Vector and Sigma factory) fear massive massive lawsuits if a minor is injured while doing a tandem.
An instructor risks losing his certificate if the factory hears of him/her doing tandem jumps with minors.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

Start Skydiving in Ohio takes 16 year olds on AFF with notorized form as does Raeford in NC. Skydive Greensburg in IN will take tandems at 16 and AFF at 18.

Why bother with the notarized form if it has no legal weight in court?

I guess at least it may deter the parents, but it won't do anything if the jumper decides to sue.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P