Wumpy

Right sport for me??

My Question: Is skydiving the right sport for me? How do I know?

My Story: I'm 21, and came to HI this summer for an internship. One of my fellow interns wanted to go skydiving. I had never before considered skydiving, and my fear of heights caused me to auto-reply "no f-ing way". Later, after some thought, decided it may be a fun experience and an awsome view, a great way to end the summer. The 3 of us went to a place and did tandem skydiving. I was terrified, (was playing the "what would happen if..." game in my head). As soon as we exited the plane, everything I thought changed. It was amazing. It was awsome. The view was breathtaking. I still sorta had that sorta of "what if..." in the back of my mind,but everything was so fast I just trusted my tandem master and enjoyed it. Now more than 24hrs later I dont think I've stopped smiling/thinking about it. I have never before experienced a feeling like this before... I think I may want to become certified, but honestly am not sure. Just thinking about it still leaves me scared, but also causes too much smiling. I want to know how to do everything. As soon as I was done all I could think was "wow, I kinda want to abandon everything I've been doing and do this all the time" but am not sure if it was just like, a one time shock and awe due to the experience and view type of feeling, or if this is a sport I should try to pursue. Also, I will admit, I couldnt even make myself jump of a 20ft cliff into the ocean more than once... how can I jump out of a plane??

I also love photography (my current subjects being ultimate firsbee and my dog) but think it would be beyond amazing to get good enough at skydiving to do photos.

Wow. Sorry, this ended up way longer than intended. Long story short, I dont know if I should maybe save up and do another tandem jump to see if I feel the same? Or if I should save up and just start lessons? I mean, at this moment, I feel like I would be happy taking my college loan, postponing a semester, and using it to learn how to skydive (though this extreme wont be taken, the parents would kill me, haha). But how do I know? How did you all know? I mean, this isnt exactly a cheap thing to get into.... Thanks for all your help! Feel free to reply to post, email or aim (ForTheLoveOfAudi)

Thanks again all!
Beth

A certain amount of fear is good. It'll make you a safer skydiver. You'd be suprised the number of people in this sport who hate heights. There is an instructor at my DZ who has no problems jumping out of that plane 20 times a day. However, he won't even go up a single step of a ladder if his life depended on it. :D:D:D:D

The rush wears off after about 40 jumps.

I would honestly wait a few years; till you’re more established with college out of the way and a decent paying job to support your new very expensive hobby.

There is a lot at stake in this sport. Don’t for a second let others sugar coat the severity of what 1 simple mistake can cost you.

Think I’m full of shit?

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIjdvNo65s&fmt=18

Still wanna fly? If not, run along now skippy!

Take a day next weekend and go hang out at the DZ. Watch some more people skydive and talk to skydivers. I started when I was 18 and a starving college student, I had to pack a LOT of parachutes to get my first 100 jumps in but it was so worth it:D

I got nuthin

yeah its scary but isnt that the whole point...if its something you cant stop thinking about then i think you should just do it, save up for another tandem so you dont have that first time overload. On the other side, plenty of people go straight to AFF without even doing a tandem

Im 21 and in college and it is VERY expensive, and its not like you can just do it all at your own pace because it forces you to keep spending money. You have to keep current so you have jump every week or so, you have to rent gear until you know what you want so you can finally put your money towards something you're going to own, i dont know how close you are to the dz but theres gas costs, and other gear like jumpsuits, helmet ,altimeter, audibles, blah blah blah its all money

but if you compare it with other sports, its often equally expensive.. fancy bikes, kayaks, rock climbing gear whatever...its all going to cost you money but in the long run, you cant take it with you, its just fun tickets...

i dont know if that helped or i just rambled, but either way, good luck

:)

There is a lot at stake in driving a car as well. And while there are a ton of AFF fanboys theres nothing wrong with static line, not that I'm saying anyone has a problem with it just that its usually a little less expensive to get those jumps inbetween 30 days as opposed to the sticker shock of AFF.

Depends on how you drive, what your driving, where your driving, when your driving etc and lets face it how often/long you do it for. And skydiving is no more optional than driving. The difference is the risk your willing to take vs. the rewards for the action taken. It's like saying the risks of dying from skydiving far outweigh the risks of breathing or screwing. Statistically doing either introduce you to a host of risks we don't think about that on average kill more for less enjoyment. Furthermore to offer a video like the one suggested to someone asking about whether the sport is for them is like offering a new recreational diver a video showing Andrea Doria dive fatalities. Why not just post some videos of jump planes crashing before 1000'. Too much ego.

My Question: Is skydiving the right sport for me? How do I know?

Jump until you've done normal skydiving things like building formations in the body position of your choice. If you still like it once you're past the student phase, can live with a sport that's unforgiving of the wrong mistakes and may still kill you if you do everything right, have the time, and have the money (used gear isn't too out of line with things like inexpensive motorcycles, and definitely beats sports like boating) or can find it (really motivated people have paid for their skydiving habit packing parachutes for $60 an hour) it's a sport for you.

I'm 20 and in college as well. I went through the IAD/static line course and it is definitely cheaper to stay current. In the long run it will cost about the same amount as AFF, but allows you to pace yourself more. Also plan on gear after getting your license. I got everything used for about $2,200 and it is all in great shape! After paying last semester's tuition, books, etc etc I was having alot of trouble affording jumps. I decided to go out to the DZ and just pack for a day or 2 to pay off a couple jumps, but now I consistently pack tandems/students rigs and still make 3-4 jumps a day. Its alot of work but in college there isn't alot of options! ;)

Oh, and I did my first tandem in HI too! B|

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Now more than 24hrs later I dont think I've stopped smiling/thinking about it.

If you still feel this way next Monday...think about it some more. Right now, just bask in the afterglow.

This experience could be a call to skydiving, or perhaps a call to start doing more experiences that your mind told you were too scary. I certaintly don't think you should skip a semester of school to pursue it, and if the costs will prevent you from doing anything else (as it would for nearly all college students), I'd suggest doing everything else now, and return later. One can dabble in a lot of recreations for the upfront cost of licensing and first gear purchases.

Trust me, the fear goes away... it took me ~20 jumps before I could stick my hand up and say with confidence "put me on the next load" with no doubt in my mind.

I'm 21 and go to University, it's definitely possible to start now, you will just progress slower.

It's taken me 7 months now from AFF stage 1 to A license (25 jumps). Don't just think of it in jump numbers though, I could only afford to do 1 jump a week but I still got to spend an entire day at the dropzone with friends.

Go do AFF stage 1, you will have a good idea after that if you're really hooked.

Really, don't worry about being scared... I nearly didn't complete AFF because of my fear (solo exits :)), but at about 10 jumps I started getting semi-comfortable. Once I learnt how to pack and check my own gear, I cut out another random element of safety and started trusting myself.

Go jump!

20 here, wish I would have started at 18. At my DZ they just graduated an 18 year old from AFP last week. Like everybody else said it gets easier. When I was going through AFP I was so scared and tense that i actually managed to fail level 2...twice. Now after 103 jumps im still anxious sometimes but not scared. I think being anxious on occasion is good though, it'll make you do your gear checks, keep you thinking about what you have to do on the jump and therefore improve your safety.

I've spent a lot of my college money on skydiving. Good thing I'm going the community college route. you wouldnt be the first one to use a loan though. I've heard stories about people who have done that. Oh yeah and my parents don't know that I've been spending my college money.:)

Do you have the thrill seeker gene?
If yes, welcome.

Were you the last one to be picked in dodge ball?
If yes, this sport might not be for you.

I would disagree with this. I was always the last chosen for every team in school. 40 years later I have a sport I love and am good at.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

You can't really know until you do it. I didn't know until I had the responsibility for saving my own life and had some idea of all the things that could possibly go wrong. The fear of heights is natural for most human beings, and so is the fear of death. My insides still do flip flops at heights under a mile. At 2 1/2 miles up height becomes abstract, only your brain knows your that high.

You can always do 1 AFF or static jump and decide it's not for you. For that matter you could go thru First jump class and decide it's not for you. My pet name for FJC is Death School AKA "here are all the ways you can die skydiving". Think your imagination bugs you now see how it is after getting all the malfunction information.

All that being said. I love this sport!!!!!!

"Don't let the fear of dying keep you from living."

I played Ultimate for a long time(3 Nationals, 1 Worlds ). I'm just too lazy and old to play anymore. Thats why I took up skydiving, really. You can only get horizontal for a second at max. Skydiving you get horizontal for 60 seconds. How sweet is that

Hey Everyone,
Thanks so much for all your input. I sill havnt stopped thinking about skydiving, so I think I will def be trying to save up for another tandem to see if it still seems as awsome when I get home... Its weird because just thinking about it still scares me, but remembering it is just...wow. For now, I'm just going to continue remembering those few amazing minutes, and try to learn by reading around the forum/site... any other opinions would be welcome, because I've never felt like this before about anything, but the thought of having to do it myself and possibley fuck up scares the crap outta me.... is that normal? Well, thanks again!
Beth
Beth
=)

As someone else mentioned being scared will make you a safer jumper, and knowledge dispels fear! I get really nervous when I have to open the door, but the more I do it the easier it is for me to do it. I was so scared when I started my aff that I thought this was not for me but the more I learned about it the more fun I was having and now I am hooked!

I sill havnt stopped thinking about skydiving, so I think I will def be trying to save up for another tandem to see if it still seems as awsome when I get home

From a newbie to a newerbie, I would recommend you save up a little more and do AFF1 instead. Yes, you're going to have to repeat it unless you suddenly come into a lot of money, but it usually costs only a little more than a tandem, and the experience is so much more . . . "there", for lack of a better word. Plus it will give you a taste of what it's like to do it on your own, and maybe give you a better idea of if it's something you want to pursue when the timing and finances are right.

the thought of having to do it myself and possibley fuck up scares the crap outta me.... is that normal?

Of course it's normal. In every day life, you fuck up, you look stupid, you get fired, you get a bad grade. You fuck up in skydiving, and serious injury or death could easily result. I think it's rarer NOT to be scared shitless the first time.

But part of the wonder of skydiving, besides the awesomeness of flying through the air, is conquering that fear, trusting in yourself, and going for it.

Beth,
Do the right thing and set your goal to finish school. Take up skydiving ONLY if it does not interfere with your education. You will need a life outside of skydiving...make it the best one possible.

Yes, the rush and excitement of making your first skydive is in your brain...don't let that cloud your mind as to what's important to you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

so I think I will def be trying to save up for another tandem to see if it still seems as awsome when I get home...

You've done the tandem, if you're going again for another jump do AFF1... that's where the real skydiving starts.

Don't stress about the other stuff, just go do a jump and take it from there. Check out the dropzone and chat to a few people, you will have a good indication then if you want to continue.

Beth,
Do the right thing and set your goal to finish school. Take up skydiving ONLY if it does not interfere with your education. You will need a life outside of skydiving...make it the best one possible.

Yes, the rush and excitement of making your first skydive is in your brain...don't let that cloud your mind as to what's important to you.

This coming from the guy that lives on the dropzone.:D

Do the right thing and set your goal to finish school.

Well, I deff plan on finishing school... am a senior in college this year, but if I dont get into grad school (which there is a good chance I wont...) then I just want to move somewhere cool and have fun. I mean, my whole life has focused on school. But thanks for all the good info. Cause youre right, I will need a life, and a job, so I can buy my dog treats to keep her happy.

Beth
=)