skittles_of_SDC

pull altitude for more advanced jumpers.

Too many variables for me to vote.

I've been on jumps where i pull at 3500, others below 2500.

Just depends.

Im happy saddling around the 2300ft range though, id say thats my average.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

When I first got my D-license at 200 jumps I thought it was really cool to pull at 2k. Then my canopy choices kept going higher and higher performance and I found myself with a canopy that would go from zero to wild screaming malfunction very quickly. Those canopies loose a lot of altitude during something that would be trivial on a Spectre 190. So my deployment altitudes went back up to the 3-3.5k range as preferred.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nothing changed when I got my C license about my pull altitude. I still prefer to toss by around 3K on most jumps. What's changed is that I've begun participating in larger and larger jumps, and on those, group separation often dictates lower opening altitudes depending on where I am in the formation. So while I'm comfortable with a lower altitude if necessary on a larger jump, on a smaller jump I'll still choose to open by 3.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I used to pull right at 2000 feet all the time. Back then I did a lot of big ways and being on the outside edge, just track as far as I can and pull at 2000.

Eventually, a few forays into flat-line territory got me thinking maybe I better pull a little higher and pay more attention to where I am relative to the DZ. So the last few years I have been pulling at 2500 or 3000 feet and I'm still pulling lower than a lot of others.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I usually pull at 2k. My canopy takes 400-600 ft to open. Depending on the jump I may pull a little higher 2500-3000.

The only issue I've had (so far) was when I jumped an accuracy canopy that someone else packed for me and it took 1k to open, that scared the crap out of me.

I would adjust my opening for a different DZ that I was not used to jumping at but for solos at my home dz it's 2k.

I used to pull right at 2000 feet all the time. Back then I did a lot of big ways and being on the outside edge, just track as far as I can and pull at 2000.

Eventually, a few forays into flat-line territory got me thinking maybe I better pull a little higher and pay more attention to where I am relative to the DZ. So the last few years I have been pulling at 2500 or 3000 feet and I'm still pulling lower than a lot of others.

is that because you are deaf and can't hear the gasps of people watching you pull that low?:D

I pull anywhere from 2500 - 3500 . depending on the jump, who I'm jumping with, etc. I think i have gone a couple times below that, for safety reasons... saw someone above me
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I usually pull at 2k. My canopy takes 400-600 ft to open. Depending on the jump I may pull a little higher 2500-3000.

The only issue I've had (so far) was when I jumped an accuracy canopy that someone else packed for me and it took 1k to open, that scared the crap out of me.

I would adjust my opening for a different DZ that I was not used to jumping at but for solos at my home dz it's 2k.

I'm confused here, so you say you pull at 2k?? Counting in some time before the pc actually pulls out the bag I would say you loose atleast 300 ft, ad 600 ft for your chute to fully inflate and you're in the saddle at around 1100 ft :o . Or do you mean you are under a fully inflated canopy around 2000 ft, in which case you probably pull alot higher then you have stated

I have a larger slider on my sabre(never liked the hard openings) because of this i have a fairly long open time, usally 600ft so i like to pull high to give me more time to deal with any kind of mals
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I guess I could have been more clear. If I start my deployment at 2k I am under a fully inflated canopy around 1600-1400. Yes it is a brisk opening but it has never hurt me.

Maybe I really start at 2100 feet. I have a pullout (pulls pin and is attached to base of pilot chute) on my Racer. I don't roll the nose of my canopy or push it in, I just wrap the tail around my flaked out canopy. If I ever get around to installing jumptrack again and downloading my altitrack data the graphs show it. Not that the data is exact or perfect but it matchs what is in my head pretty close.

My home DZ is mostly corn fields, very little tress or other tall hazards. The only 2 times I've used my reserve it took about 300 feet to open each time.

Here is one of them.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2822601;page=unread#unread

I think it depends on the canopy and the type of jump more than licence. EPs are the same for jumpers with D and A licences. You can't pull super low just because you have a higher licence or more experience, the same physical laws apply. I D-licence holder who cuts away too low is just as dead as an A licence holder doing the same.

All norwegian parachute clubs have a rule that says that you should have an open main canopy by 2000 ft, wich means that I with my fast opening Silhouette can pull at 2500 ft, while someone with a large Pilot or Spectre has to pull higher because that canopy takes longer to open.

I go down to 2500 if I'm jumping a bigger formation, but I normally pull at 3000. And I've been at DZs where the spotting was so consistently bad that I had to pull higher all the time.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

i've gradually raised my pull altitude, over time.

back in the times before AADs and snivelly mains,,, we all pulled around 2 grand... some Lower...

of course then, we were only getting 7-5, or 8-5, outta the cessna, and so we all grabbed a little "extra" freefall time, at the bottom,, ( Dumb idea) :S:o:|

malfunctions on round mains, were not so dramatic, as they can be today, with highly loaded wings...
However as age and wisdom, began to prevail, AND as we started getting Real altitude
13 k or higher..... And as my "reflexes" have slowed,, I've adjusted deployment altitudes,,, to something more sensible...:|

I usually like to pull above 3 grand, as long as circumstances allow for it to be done safely...( which is usually the case)...
If i'm doing video, and have been granted "the center",, I am THERE,,, and deploying, shortly after breakoff.. providing that the skydive was complete ( i.e. there are no people Out, and "unaccounted for".. ( worse thing for a video person is when a fun jump does NOT complete, and the question becomes, "where the hell is EVERYone/ usually those unable to fly into a formation, could be the very ones, who freak out, and can toss a Pilot Chute, right in your face... while doing video, i am more tuned in to, who is NOT there, than i am to, who is IN... )

Parachuting has always been a favorite of mine, and I enjoy time under canopy, so why steal 5 seconds more, in freefall??? if it means a Minute or so LESS, under canopy??

skydive safely, skydive often, skydive with friends

jmy

I jump in South Africa and the rule is simple you HAVE to be under a fully inflated canopy by 2200ft, what is the rule in other countries then? most of my jumps are 4-way from 11k, we work to 4k, break and track as if you life depends on it (simply stated it does) and dump in the region of 3k. On average I am normally in the saddle by about 2.4 and 2.5

The 2200ft is something that is monitored by ground staff (at my home DZ) all the time, a quick check on the Pro-Track can be the difference between the next load or sitting your ass down for the rest of the day, and this counts for anybody regardless of license of jump numbers

The only exception on the rule that I am aware of is the last jump for Pro-Rating, they have to clear and pull from 2k.

I like to pull around 3. Occasionally if I'm reserve side AFF I, it's a shade under that, but not much, depends on if there's video or not as to how much extra I'll need to track. I did lurk a tandem last week and pulled at 2200:) The video guy and I did a nice little 2 way after the tandem pulled and we broke at 3500. But that's not something I make a habit of. I can only think of one other jump I pulled that low... AFF student with a pilot chute in tow that I fixed for him before going away.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

FS - I pull at 3k.
Solos, it varies. I love canopy time; especially now I got a new canopy that I haven't completely figureed out yet.

Regardless of canopy, when jumping solo from the Porter, i like opening at 5k so I get to go out last and can sit on the seat in the back rather than be squashed to death on the bench or sity on the floor having to perform all kinds of acrobatic manoeuvres prior to exit :D

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom