chrismgtis

Funny stuff you or other jumpers have done

So many of you guys always have these whacky stories to tell about other jumpers. I want to read some of them. And there are always these inside jokes that no one else can understand. I don't know wtf you guys are talking about half the time anyway. :P

Guess I'll start off by making fun of myself.

So I was at the DZ one day maybe 6 months ago. There weren't a lot of people in the packing area. I'm a bit nervous about packing no matter how many times I do it and a few people I didn't know were watching me so it was like stage fright. :D I drop my rig and start walking the lines backwards.

Then I trip over a water jug and land on my butt.

:ph34r:
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Being peer-pressured into making the next load, I packed the rental sabre 190 even less neat then usual. It was going to be a H&P anyway.. it wouldn't matter if the opening would be a little brisker than usual.

Once in the plane, the pilot called out to say we'd go to twelve rather than five - H&P's at five are allowed, at twelve they aren't. SO I had to take my trash pack to terminal..

I exited, fell to five and reached for my hackey with my right while closing my eyes and crossing my left index and middle finger thinking "oooohh shit - this is gonna hurt!"
I threw my pilotchute and was amazed by the nicest opening ever with that canopy.

I never put any effort in packing that canopy neatly from that point on, that's for sure :D

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Oh yea and I forgot my altimeter on a load last weekend. I hadn't jumped since Skyfest in June so I was a little out of whack. I realize this when the green light comes on and I wait for everyone to start leaving so their backs are turned. I look at the pilot with a "Shit! No alt!" look on my face. I'm pulling at 10 anyway. So I get out, count to 10 thinking I'll burn about 2k and pull.

Then I buy a camera helmet from the DZ store. You know the Optiks that come with the long chin straps that you have to cut to size. I just get on the plane with 12 inches of strap sticking out of my face.

This kind of crap happens to me all the time.
:D

Oh yea and I forgot my altimeter on a load... I'm pulling at 10 anyway. So I get out, count to 10 thinking I'll burn about 2k and pull.

Rule of thumb:
It takes about 12 seconds to descend the first 1,000 feet.
Then about 5½ seconds for every 1,000 feet thereafter.
(Assuming belly-to-earth attitude)

So to burn up 2,000', you could actually wait 17-18 seconds.

Around jump 33, rushing to catch a load.. hadnt put my altimiter on ( was inside my helmet with my gloves ) @about 11k as we're all getting ready, I cant find my altimiter! Oh Sh**!!! Had accidently slipped out the face shield opening and fallen onto the floor...thanks to a fellow skydiver on the same load.

Lesson: Put on and do the gear check BEFORE you get on the plane!!!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Once in a while someone would inadvertly have a high opening in the middle of a rw jump. ;)Usually happened if someone was doing a milestone jump and the pullee usually suspected it. I've also seen it done just for shits and giggles. The others on the jump were of course briefed that someone might have a premature. Sometimes it caught the person off guard and the look on their face was priceless but they usually knew it was coming. Sometimes they even managed to track off just before it could be done just to spite us all.

(fyi-This was a cessna dropzone and we were the only ones in the air of course - but flame away)

Around 400 jumps or so I had got pretty used to waiting on the Dytter for break off and wouldn't look at the altimeter when freeflying. One of my friends got my audible and adjusted it by setting it really high with out me knowing. We go through the jump and at the beeps I break off and watch everyone falling away looking at me. I flatten out and track and look at the altimeter and its only 7500 feet so I have to track off jump run from 7500 to 3000 to pull. That was long lonely track all since I didn't look at my altimeter. :D

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

So.. I did my first AFF jump when i was 18 for a birthday present using an older model rig that used a spring loaded pilot chute im assuming and the ripcord. I remember being told "If you drop it you bought it" so I held on to the cord.. 7 years later I do aff1 at skydive city and come pull time.. throw my pilot chute and hang on to it... TK ever so helpful took it from my hand. (I have video of this if anyone would like to see)

1 other I can think of.. my first jump with a full face helmet.. green light is on im next and think.. oh shit "i've forgotten something" rig- check, alti- check id gotten so used to walking to the plane with goggles that i thought i'd forgotten something.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Climbing to alt one day with these two tandems that are really, really nervous. A fun jumper doing a solo leans over and tells me he's going to hang his head out the door when the light comes on and to kick him out when it goes green. There he is on his hands and knees, head out the door... green light and I yell "GET OUT" when I kick him in the ass. Those girls screamed louder than any tandem I've ever heard... the look on their faces was priceless, almost like I had just killed him.

Left my jumpsuit out one Saturday night, next morning it’s hanging from a tree in a duct tape cocoon... took me 10 minutes WITH scissors to get it out of the duct tape.

CAP-3... nuff said.

Rule of thumb:
It takes about 12 seconds to descend the first 1,000 feet.
Then about 5½ seconds for every 1,000 feet thereafter.
(Assuming belly-to-earth attitude)

So to burn up 2,000', you could actually wait 17-18 seconds.

Nice. I was wondering about that. Thanks. B|

green light and I yell "GET OUT" when I kick him in the ass. Those girls screamed louder than any tandem I've ever heard... the look on their faces was priceless, almost like I had just killed him.

Hehe. Was wondering if anyone has ever pulled that prank before.

I'm planning on pulling something like this soon.. more like.. falling out on accident rather than being pushed

Skydive city tandem with someone doing the exit joke.. sorry if it's not clicky dunno why my links don't show up

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvTfXHwrz0s
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

After landing on my aff1 I was so pumped up I managed to drop my glasses and didn't realize it till I was almost back to the tent.I landed a good ways out on the landing area.I had a few people help me look for them at the end of the day but no luck.Thanx to everyone who helped!
"Never go full retard"

After landing on my aff1 I was so pumped up I managed to drop my glasses and didn't realize it till I was almost back to the tent.I landed a good ways out on the landing area.I had a few people help me look for them at the end of the day but no luck.Thanx to everyone who helped!

If your eyes were as bad as mine you would KNOW you didn't have them on. The fact that you couldn't see anything clearly if it isn't 3 inches in front of your face is a clear indication. :D

I'm glad I have contacts too.

I was flying a 182 hauling jumpers. I was just about to taxi out with only 3 jumpers when Paul shows up, quickly gears up and gets on to make it a four way.

After landing I notice there is a thick wallet stuck under the aft most seat belt attachment. I check and it's Paul's. Evidently he still had it in his jeans when he pulled his jumpsuit on over them so he had taken it out and jammed it in the plane. I put the wallet in the map box and walk into the hangar where the jumpers are packing. I go over to a friend (within earshot of Paul) and start telling him that as they exited I had notice something fly out of the door -- couldn't tell what it was just something small and brown. Paul looks up with a look of concern on his face and goes out to the airplane where he looked to see if his wallet was still where he had left it. He walked back into the hangar and was looking rather stressed until I busted out laughing and he realized he'd been had. :)

SmugMug

At the time my wife had around 30 jumps, had been flat packing very well but had just learned to pro pack. We had some clouds that day and she was not overly comfortable jumping so she said she would stay on the ground and practice packing and unpacking her rig. After the first load I tell her she can pack my rig instead, that way her efforts would not be wasted and I was jumping a spectre so she could not hurt me. After her first Pro Pack that would be jumped, I slip on the rig and head to the plane as she tries to go to kitchen, because she didn't want to watch. However, the DZO has different ideas and takes her out in the landing area so that the two of them can watch and see how the opening looks. Now, with the desire to show my lovely wife just how much I trust her, and after verifing a perfect spot (right over her head), I sucked it down to 2grand (she said my wave off looked as if I were waving at her) and dumped. The opening was nice and on heading, however slow enough that I was compelled to pump the rear risers for inflation. Of course this only made my opening look even lower. Yeah, I caught shit from her, and the DZO, but it was still all good fun.

Messing with the students is always fun!

On an Otter load, 3 of us were first out. We put my girlfriend in the middle and did a mock AFF exit. She pretended to freeze and started screaming. My friend and I hoisted her up by her harness and threw her out the door screaming!

The looks on the AFF and Tandoom students' faces were priceless!:)

Here's one of mine:

Gold Coast Skydivers at Moss Point, MS, back in the mid to late 90's when they had the Pink Flamingo Porter from the movie Drop Zone. They'd offer bomb bay door exits from time to time, just like the movie. I did the first one just as normal as anybody would. Then I had a chance to do a 2nd jump, (the only one who did 2 jumps that day) so I talked smack into the camera (videoed by Miami Mike) and all of a sudden the door opens and I fall away flailing my arms and legs like crazy. Got a huge laugh from everyone in the video room. Pulling my hamstring muscle was worth it. :D

I still have both jumps on video...

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I fall away flailing my arms and legs like crazy. Got a huge laugh from everyone in the video room. Pulling my hamstring muscle was worth it. :D

That's awesome. And now you need to find the video for us to see.

Man I've not seen Drop Zone in so long. I bet I would laugh at it if I saw it now.

Definitely man! You gotta post your flailing exit!

My first bomb bay exit was a B-25 over Corpus Christi, TX in '85. Nobody fucking tells you that bomb bay doors slam open and close slowly.

So, I'm sitting on the ledge above the doors. My partner (Jay Upinghaus, I think) was strattling the bomb bay with his feet and had his hand gripping my chest strap. At about 12,500 feet, the pilot yells, "Door!" So, we wait with anticipation for that Hollywood style slow opening bomb bay door.

Fuck NO!! Boom! Bam! We go from the 'relative' quiet of a B-25 to roaring slipstream at 120+ MPH in about .5 seconds! Jay freaked and lost his balance, but not his footing. He still had both feet firmly planted as he went back first through the bomb bay doors. Remember that little part about the chest strap (mine, that is)? :$

As Jay jerked me off my seat above him, I had just enough time to pull into a cannon ball and follow him through the doors!:o We tumbled like hell until he let me go. The rest of the guys followed us out. Nice 4 way and CRW on the bottom end.

The picture is from a later B-25 jump with most of the same crew. I couldn't find the other one.