Sabre2ooth

What to write in log book?

Hi guys,

This make seem like a strange question, but what do you guys write in your log book in terms of the description of the jump?

Do you break it down to individual maneouvers or just in general what was worked on that jump. i.e. fall rate adjustment, forward & backward movement etc.

Cheers,

Ryan.

I do a bit of both - what the planned dive was (2-way, fall rate, etc), and narrative on what happened during the dive and thought on improrvements.

So it might look like this:

Solo dive, fall rate work. Climbout/exit ok, went a bit head low (remember to watch the plane fly away). Hard arch felt good/stable, bit of rocking when reverse arched/slow (try to stay relaxed). Good stable pull at 3.5k, control checks good. Practiced rear riser flares in playground. Pattern entry good/as planned, adjusted crosswind/final due to wind changes. Good flare/landing 3m from peas.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In 30 years you will wish you had written more, however much you write now. I am a religious logger, and have been since the beginning, and I still wish I had more details, especially who I jumped with, but it would also be nice to have the N-number of the airplanes, so I could see where those planes are now. Google is your friend.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I typically cover these points.

Type: 2-way, tracking, (attempted) freefly etc... then I add in either "solo" or the peoples names I'm with

Exit: Dive exit, poised exit, linked exit... whatever I can write. I also write how the exit went, whether it tumbled or the linked exit screwed up etc.

Dive: I typically cover everything I can in the dive in as much detail as possible. How many points, where we stuffed up, anything particularly good we did, I also record breakoff altitude.

Deployment: I record whether it was soft, hard, snivelly linetwists, onheading... I got an altitrack so I record my saddle height too.

Landing: Hard/soft landing, turbulence, I try to comment on my pattern or what I typically did (flying my pattern on rears or in deep brakes). Whether I PLFed or not, whatever I can think of.

One additional thing I do is add in special comments if I'm on a special load. On saturday I got to be on the same load with my AFFI that trained me. He was doing a flag jump with a tandem rig and MASSIVE (must have been 30 x 60ft) Australian flag, so I was under canopy watching him fly around... when I look back I will enjoy reading it, even though it didn't directly influence my jump.

I got a few jumps in the 182 next to naked 100th jumpers so I typically right that in also.

It's a small dropzone, we're all good friends, when (if ) I'm old and senial it might bring back memories.

Just don't leave your log book unattended at the DZ. :):DYou could be quite surprised at what others can write in there for you!

At my DZ, it's safe as long as the bar is not open.....

but as soon as the beer gets served, it's game on! I've done my fair share of "adjustment" to ppl's log books. In saying that though, i've been stupid enough to leave mine out...
Some ppl can get very creative when drunk
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

I agree with all the other comments. I don't have an extensive jump log, but I really enjoy looking back in my aircraft logbook and I occasionally look through my dad's old logbooks and it is a history of his 40 year flying career. He was an old school "logger" with alot of details about weather, specifics of the flight, passengers, etc. Always interesting and entertaining. B|

Just burning a hole in the sky.....