chrismgtis

Does anyone have hyperthyroidism?

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a few months ago. Prior to that for about two months I was experiencing a very increased heart rate and a few other symptoms (my heart rate was constantly around 110-120 and about 125 while resting). One being that I was shaky a lot. One time I really noticed this was when I tried to hold an AR15 and a pistol and tried to fire at a target. I had trouble aiming because I couldn't hold my hand still. Eventually I went to the emergency room when it got bad enough.

I was wondering if any other skydivers have hyperthyroidism and if it affects skydiving at all. At times I get bad enough that my entire body shakes. It gets really bad in social situations. I'm always nervous around a lot of people, but it never effected me in that way until I started experiencing symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Another problem I started having, and at first I blamed this on my ex girlfriend because she jumped on my back one day. After that my knees hurt for a while and I could barely walk up stairs. Now I seem to have some issues doing anything that requires tension in my knees. It feels like my knees aren't very strong and I have a hard time lifting my self with them. This was never a problem before, because my legs and knees were the strongest part of my body.

Because the body's metabolism is increased, patients often feel hotter than those around them and can slowly lose weight even though they may be eating more. The weight issue is confusing sometimes since some patients actually gain weight because of an increase in their appetite. Patients with hyperthyroidism usually experience fatigue at the end of the day, but have trouble sleeping. Trembling of the hands and a hard or irregular heartbeat (called palpitations) may develop. These individuals may become irritable and easily upset. When hyperthyroidism is severe, patients can suffer shortness of breath, chest pain, and muscle weakness. Usually the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are so gradual in their onset that patients don't realize the symptoms until they become more severe.

That's right on as far as what I've experienced. That site said insomnia is a symptom. I haven't been able to sleep either. I'll be awake ill 7am and not feel tired until I eventually just crash at 2pm and can't move.

It's become a slight PITA. Nothing I can't deal with. The little issues it causes are just irritating.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I have suffered from hyper-thyroid symptoms as well. I am currently working with a nutritionist who is following the pioneering work of MD David Brownstein. Two medical doctors David Brownstein and Guy Abraham have done extensive work on Thyroid issues and have come to the conclusion that most Americans need much more iodine than they are getting. The Thyroid gland needs iodine. They argue that the American diet is very low In Iodine. And table salt does not give us the amount of iodine we need.
They have had much success treating patients who have either hyper or hypo —thyroid issues. You can read his book— OVERCOMING THYROID DISORDERS BY David Brownstein (order at Amazon.com). He has an updated version of this book but you may have to contact his office.

Understand I am not a Doctor, but the Iodine treatments I have been receiving have been a great help to me. They use a product called Iodoral which is a combination of Iodine and Iodide. Do not go out and just start taking Iodine from the drug store.
Dr. Brownstein has a Web site: http://www.drbrownstein.com.

I would recommend his book or DVD’s on the subject of Iodine and the Thyroid
They also have another Web site: http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml

You can look at their articles on the history of Iodine use. The articles are a bit technical.

I have suffered from hyper-thyroid symptoms as well. I am currently working with a nutritionist who is following the pioneering work of MD David Brownstein. Two medical doctors David Brownstein and Guy Abraham have done extensive work on Thyroid issues and have come to the conclusion that most Americans need much more iodine than they are getting. The Thyroid gland needs iodine. They argue that the American diet is very low In Iodine. And table salt does not give us the amount of iodine we need.
They have had much success treating patients who have either hyper or hypo —thyroid issues. You can read his book— OVERCOMING THYROID DISORDERS BY David Brownstein (order at Amazon.com). He has an updated version of this book but you may have to contact his office.

Understand I am not a Doctor, but the Iodine treatments I have been receiving have been a great help to me. They use a product called Iodoral which is a combination of Iodine and Iodide. Do not go out and just start taking Iodine from the drug store.
Dr. Brownstein has a Web site: http://www.drbrownstein.com.

I would recommend his book or DVD’s on the subject of Iodine and the Thyroid
They also have another Web site: http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml

You can look at their articles on the history of Iodine use. The articles are a bit technical.

Thanks for the info.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan