gimpboogie

where can I find info on this incident

Hi,

I am wondering where I can find info on the tandem incident (with a paralyzed passanger) that happened at The Blue Sky Ranch in Gardiner, NY in July 2005.
This is the video of what happened.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qaWJh1msRhk
I'd like to read the incident report, and recommendations/any info available.

thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction, after doing a search on "tandem incident" I find so many pages that I have not yet waded through them to find this incident.
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I'll take a stab at it . . .

I'd say some part of the running end of the left lower lateral strap became caught between where the backside door frame meets the bottom runner. I'm not saying the TM didn't stow the running end as it probably came undone as they brushed it against the door frame. And you can't totally fault the TM for not using the center of the door as his passenger wasn't the easiest to move around.

There is usually a hook knife stowed on the back of the passenger harness right below the yoke. And it looks like the TM used that to cut themselves free. It's the green thing in his hand in the second photo.

And in the first photo it does look like something is caught in the corner of the door.

Nice job by the TM all in all . . .

The only funny part (maybe sad really) is the jumpers still in the plane yelling for a knife. I wonder if any one even had one . . .

NickD :)

Thanks Nick.

I had thought that the passsangers strap got caught(the white one secured to the strapping around his knees.. it is not secured by anything but flopping around).

Yes I also was disturbed by the people in the plane wondering if anyone had a knife (I thought all licenced divers had one?).
I saw the TM with the knife he used.... and realized that it propably wasn't the white rope attached to the guys legs that was caught since it looks like he lands with that strap still on.

The reason I am wanting to know more about this incident is the fact that my skydiving pants have straps coming from each knee of the pants to a locking carbiner on my chest harness... these straps are not flapping around because velcro was sewn on my pants and the back of the straps to secure them to my pants. The part of the straps that is above my waist line is attached to my shirt (which has two velcro srips sewn on it) by velcro also.

I want to do the best I can to stop my straps from coming undone and flapping loose....

The current consideration I have is to place a pocket which closes with velcro directly on the pants and stow the straps in there until after I am under canopy.

Any thoughts?
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Yes, I'd think if it had been the passenger's knee restraint they'd have been hanging more inverted.

I looked at your other posts and see you also have lower limb issues. From experience I know everyone in this situation is different, with no one thing that works for all. So I won't give you any specific advice in that area.

The best thing is get with others who deal with the same thing. But I know there aren't many that are experienced jumpers,

But there's Russel Metlitsky, who skydives, paraglides, and B.A.S.E. jumps. He lives near me in Pasadena, CA. He's done it all, and is a genius with coming up with work arounds, and he'd be someone good to get in touch with. You can do so through his website which is here:

http://www.zerop.net/website/pbase.htm

NickD :)