PesadillaK

Hypertension and Skydiving

I've been looking for information about skydiving and hypertension. I know the wavers from the DZs state that you should not skydive if you have any kind of heart condition, but I can't find a scientific or medical article discussing the topic. Therefore, I am planning on conducting a study on how does Skydiving affects blood pressure in healthy volunteers.
I know heart rate increases and possibly also blood pressure, but maybe just systolic pressure...I think the results could be interesting for more people than myself, but I would like to know if any of you can give me some insight into the subject.

Thanks.
Full Planes and Blue Skies Always!

I considered sticking my Polar hrm. on when i jumped, but decided not to, I use it when I run or cycle. I was interested to see where I would peak out as i went out!

I meant to ask the instructors whould there be any problem using a device like a hrm which transmits the info from a chest strap to the watch but completely forgot about it until I was half way home.:P

I would think it would be hard to differentiate the effects of the adrenaline rush caused by skydiving from the altitude effects especially for first timers who are going to have a larger adrenaline rush than experienced jumpers.

However, I work in a lab that studies the effects of chronic intermittent hypoxia in rats and compares that to sustained hypoxia. The point of the model is to compare chronic intermittent hypoxia to disease states like obstructive sleep apnea whereas sustained hypoxia is more like the adaptation to high altitude living conditions.

The early results suggest that the body is able to adapt to sustained hypoxia at tolerable levels but not to repeated bouts of toxic levels of hypoxia. How does this relate to jumping? I'm not sure if it can be compared but the mild hypoxic conditions during a jump below 15k could be similar to a hypoxic event. The severity seems less than that seen in a bout of sleep apnea and the event frequency is less b/c of how often you can jump and how many you do in a day, week, or year but there may be reasonable comparison with understood limitations.

Well, I work in a pharmaceutic company and we do several different clinical trials. This is different. Is just research on how the sport affects Blood Pressure.

Of course I have come with several things I will have to be able to account for, like the fact that atmospheric pressure varies, and then I don't know how reliable is going to be the messurments with a given baumanometer.

I have thought of grouping at least three different kinds of subjets: Novice (tandem jumps), experienced (like you and I) and professionals (those who live doing this activity). The level and frequency of exposure my play a role.

I will also have a control group of people just accompanying a test and perhaps those observers, that ride the plane but do not jump.

Adrenaline does increase heart rate. In any case, I still think it would be worthwhile even if it is just a silly experiment for some.

The logistics, I haven't yet decided, but please keep on commenting on this project.

The only reason I brought up anything about hypoxia is because it can be leading factor into hypoxaemia, or low oxygen levels within the blood. If there is in fact a decrease of oxygen within the blood, and pressure is directly proportional to flow, then the flow of blood is going to need to increase to "recycle" the blood to get oxygen throughout the body, which in turn will also increase blood pressure.

I do have a question though, why do you think it will only have an affect systolic bp? Essential hypertension has been known to affect diastolic and/or both as well?

Sorry if I come out sounding condescending. Just my nature I guess. I always start thinking of all variables right from the start. ;)

Surely someone has in all the years of Skydiving taken these tests. If not, whos gonna go first?

I know most research offers some incentives to the human rats ... offer free jump tickets and I'll strap diodes to my body when I jump

B|
Brian

Last year I jumped at Sky Dive Long Island and bought my cousin a tandem jump.
Some students from Stony Brook University ask her to put on some sweat collectors
(whatever they’re called). They offered to pay some for the dive.
Anyway, the catch was you had to go to the university at some other time
and do some tests. They were trying to figure how skydivng was affecting your body through
your sweat. She declined when she found out about having to go to the university.

FYI

You're going to find what I have to say interesting.....I used to suffer from hypertension before I got into skydiving. Hypertension is of course a thing with the mind and it can be cured. I realized that Skydiving actually solved my problem with hypertension because it taught me how to conquer my fears. With hypertension, I felt like I was going to die whenever my heart would palpitate like crazy.....I would get into small airplanes and I would want to get out of them because I felt claustrophobic (ironically a twin otter when I Island hopped in the caribbean with my gf in April). So, I don't know if the same thing will apply to you, but I realized that hypertension and panic attacks is just something you gotta control, they come from fear and anxiety of just not knowing what's up. Skydiving solved that for me.
---
"It takes courage to walk through the rain on a cold and foggy night, but it is those nights that dawn the most beautiful mornings."

Interesting indeed. But my research will not be on hypertension. It will be on how does skydiving affects blood pressure to find out if it is a risk or not for High Pressure subjects.

I know of people skydiving while being controlled with medication. I was not aware of people like you, where skydiving actually served as a therapy. And I guess there are several hypertense people skydiving, just because they are unaware of their condition, since it is largely asimptomatic.

In any case the findings could be encouraging/discouraging for potential skydivers, and also give a better insight as to just how risky this activity really is.

,.. and also give a better insight as to just how risky this activity really is.

I've been around for a few years. EVERY friend who I have lost over the years has been killed on the way to/from the DZ or in some sort of a highway related incident...not from jumping. One student/good friend died in a motorcycle accident when he got hit by a drunken driver about six years ago. He had 7500 skydives and 150 BASE jumps.

The risk in this sport is psychological. Like good sex, much of it is in our head.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I don't want to go there....but there is a reason for wavers, and they state that if you suffer heart disease you should not skydive. The results of this research might just change that for some heart conditions.

And unfotunately I have lost a friend in skydiving due to a low turn. That does not mesan that the sport is dangerous, it just means that a mistake can have fatal consequences.

I think you're a little confused. You speak of hypertension and heart disease in the same line. Both have nothing to do with one another.

Sure, you could have a heart problem or a kidney disease, and that could lead to high blood pressure and hypertension, but I don't think you're referring to that kind of hypertension, which as you know, is medically referred to as secondary hypertension.

I have a hard time believing any licensed skydivers (forget tandems, cause those are the ones where people pee/crap in their pants) would actually be a licensed skydiver if he would have to put himself through the fear, tension, and heart palpitations of having to exit that door. It just wouldn't be pleasant and they both don't go hand in hand with one another.

Hypertension is a pretty weird condition in most humans, and science indicates that no specific medical cause can be found to explain a patient's condition.

Being someone that suffered from it severely for over a year or two, I can account for the fact that it's mostly psychological. You can be on your way to 12,5k and make your heart rate go up as much as you want to the point where you're panicking if all you think about is how your chute will probably not open or how something will go wrong. Or....you can just take deep breaths and realize the amazing accomplishment of being in control of your emotions, surroundings and most importantly, your heart rate.

When we stand on that door.....our body changes its configuration and goes into survival mode, or, adrenaline mode.....we become stronger, more focused and time slows down a little. I would hope all hypertension would go away at that point. Being scared shitless and panicking is two totally different things if you ask me. Being scared is something you learn to embrace and conquer.....panicking is just a sign that you should maybe stay on the ground or look for another sport.....hypertension or not.
---
"It takes courage to walk through the rain on a cold and foggy night, but it is those nights that dawn the most beautiful mornings."

Glad you are feeling better these days.

You can be on your way to 12,5k and make your heart rate go up as much as you want to the point where you're panicking if all you think about is how your chute will probably not open or how something will go wrong. Or....you can just take deep breaths and realize the amazing accomplishment of being in control of your emotions, surroundings and most importantly, your heart rate.

That sounds like an anxiety to me. I don't think these symptoms are associated directly with hypertension. It is called the "silent killer" for a reason.

I have hypertension, "controlled" with medication. I don't know what my bp is during a jump but for about 4 or 5 days afterward it is substantially down, 10 or 15 points. I broke my leg last March and haven't been able to skydive and I am having a heck of a time with the bp. (Heavy physical labor works too, but no where near as well as skydiving!)
If God meant for us to fly
He'd have given us imagination!