Jin2Kazama

To anyone who wears a shoulder brace

Dear Laurence

I dislocated both my shoulders as a teen, some 15 years later started skydiving. I did not have any operations on either shoulder and no more major dislocations.

I got my A licence and was converting to throw away - on the first throw away jump I dislocated my right shoulder in free fall - hurt like hell! I had altitude (c. 8000') and considered my reserve however I tried to deploy with my left hand - not possible - I then used my dislocated right arm to deploy - needless to say that I didn't throw the PC very far! Once under canopy I even reached up with both hands to release the brakes - it was at that point that I decided that was a very silly idea as it hurt WAY too much.

I used one hand and my mouth to use the toggles - flared using both toggles in one hand and PLFed (onto the non-dislocated side!).

Back in the UK had a great physio - he gave me a Theraband to exercise with (It is like a big rubber band and the exercises concentrate on the rotator cuff muscles).
He also found me 'The Sully' by Saunders Sports http://www.questsportsmedicine.com/saunders.html which I used once back in the air (about 4 months later)

It worked well - mainly placebo I am sure - but it did feel as though the shoulder was supported; it also could be configured for different types of shoulder injury.

This was 7 years ago - and I have no idea if you can get them in the UK now.

If there had been the tunnels in the UK back then I would have definalty gone for a tryout before going back in the air. For my first jump post dislocation I had an AFF instructor with me to deploy for me if I couldn't.

Enjoy skydiving - go to the tunnel - far better to find out at home that you have a problem rather than 3000 miles away

My 2p

Blues

Ashley

Dear Laurence

I dislocated both my shoulders as a teen, some 15 years later started skydiving. I did not have any operations on either shoulder and no more major dislocations.

I got my A licence and was converting to throw away - on the first throw away jump I dislocated my right shoulder in free fall - hurt like hell! I had altitude (c. 8000') and considered my reserve however I tried to deploy with my left hand - not possible - I then used my dislocated right arm to deploy - needless to say that I didn't throw the PC very far! Once under canopy I even reached up with both hands to release the brakes - it was at that point that I decided that was a very silly idea as it hurt WAY too much.

I used one hand and my mouth to use the toggles - flared using both toggles in one hand and PLFed (onto the non-dislocated side!).

Back in the UK had a great physio - he gave me a Theraband to exercise with (It is like a big rubber band and the exercises concentrate on the rotator cuff muscles).
He also found me 'The Sully' by Saunders Sports http://www.questsportsmedicine.com/saunders.html which I used once back in the air (about 4 months later)

It worked well - mainly placebo I am sure - but it did feel as though the shoulder was supported; it also could be configured for different types of shoulder injury.

This was 7 years ago - and I have no idea if you can get them in the UK now.

If there had been the tunnels in the UK back then I would have definalty gone for a tryout before going back in the air. For my first jump post dislocation I had an AFF instructor with me to deploy for me if I couldn't.

Enjoy skydiving - go to the tunnel - far better to find out at home that you have a problem rather than 3000 miles away

My 2p

Blues

Ashley

Thanks for your input Ashley. Was your experience as terrifying as it sounds, or is it just something you just dealt with?
When my shoulder(s) dislocated, the dislocated arm became parylized and I had to use my good arm to support the weight and to try and make the pain more bearable. I am amazed at people who were able to continue to use their dislocated shoulder as I never thought it was possible going from my own expreriences. I accept a dislocation in freefall would get the body's adrenalin going so maybe this has something to do with it. Or maybe I'm just a pussy!
How did your dislocation happen on your conversion jump?
Have you been jumping much in that 7 years and do you still wear the support?
Have you had tunnel time?

Dear Laurence

Was it terrifying? - not at the time - I had a lot to sort out! It pays to listen to your instructors - and think about and plan for 'what if...'

When not in freefall my dislocations were gut wrenching - I do have a high pain threshold but it was like being kicked very hard in the wedding tackle, in freefall - it still hurt - but there was a lot to sort out!

Why did it dislocate? I believe it had to do with 3 factors -
1. Any shoulder that has been dislocated is weaker (don't forget I have not had surgery) - the gym can help with this - I didn't go to the gym then.
2. I was wearing a very baggy jump suit - bit like Andy Pandy - so it caught a lot of air on the arms
3. Having practiced my PC throw about a dozen times and was happy with it, I relaxed - a lot - which then bought me back to point 1 - and out it came.

I dislocated on about jump 20 - I now have c. 370 jumps, competed in a four way RW team (took bronze overall) and have 6+ hours in the tunnel. I gave up the brace after about a year - and replaced it with the gym.

BTW the tunnel is a great precursor to AFF - I wish I had had it!

Blues

Ashley

Thanks, that's very useful. So reducing the drag on the arms sounds like a good plan. What sort of exercises do you do at the gym?
Thinking about your comment about being relaxed, it sounds like relaxing puts the shoulders at the mercy of the wind, but using muscular strength to keep the elbows slightly below the shoulders (in flat position) would prevent anything happening.

You need your arms to fly - so it is not as easy as just reducing the drag, having said that, my original suit was very baggy and cotton - so not slippery at all, talk to your instructors about what would be best for you.

Talk to your instructors about body position; make sure they understand your concerns.

Being relaxed in the air is something we all strive for - it helps with awareness, body position and flying.

My gym is called Kieser Training http://www.kieser-training.com/uk_english/pages/HO/HO.shtml - they only have 1 gym in the UK at Mornington Crescent. it is unlike any gym I have been a member of - they design and build their own resistance machines and the staff are highly trained and work regularly with me to develop my training programme. Try to find one that offers the same type of personal coaching - a 'real' gym rather than your fluff and puff high street offerings, but obviously your are looking to build upper body strength.

When I was recovering form my dislocation I Goggled for post dislocation excursuses and found a couple of useful site - unfortunately I not have their URLs.

But get some couching in the tunnel!

Blues

Ashley

Went and had some tunnel time today, I only booked 2 x 1minute 15 sec lessons as I was convinced I was going to have issues. I went in there very nervous and had a hard time trying to relax and worrying alot, however, it went without incident which came as a relief. The staff were really good there, and they turned the fan down and built it up. After watching myself on video afterwards, I realised how rubbish I was at it. It looked like at one point I had one leg straight and the other bent. I will definitely be spending alot more time there before my AFF to sort my shit out. Thanks for all your support and comments guys :)