ttoy

Sinus Pressure while in the air... Second Tandem

I did my second tandem yesterday and had a ton of pressure over my right sinuses... eye, ear and mouth. It really hurt. I didn't have this my first tandem. It took a few hours for my ear to finally pop. I really want to move on to my AFF but I'm thinking that I might need to see a dr first. Besides the sinus issue the jump was awesome. He said I did a great job with my awareness, pull and canopy control. I wonder if he tells everyone that :)

do a search on here for sinus. there has been some great discussions. I never had problems until about 5 years into jumping but it was the same thing. I went to an ENT doc and he fixed me up and I have not had any major issues since. Really easy mostly over the counter fixes.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

I have some serious allergies (have had nasal polyps removed several times due to 100% blockage).

My ears typically do not clear until the next day, sometimes the 2nd day. I end up going "What?" and "Huh?" a lot while chatting over beers.

I don't take any meds because they seem to make me drowsy.

If it is just dullness or pluggage, no big deal. If you feel actual pain; like he said, see a Dr.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Its pretty much the same thing that happens when ur scuba diving. on ur slow accend to altitude the pressures between the inside of ur ear drum and out side ear drum slowly even themselves out. On a nice fast freefall the outer pressure increases putting a squeese on ur eardrum giving you that nice uncomfortable sensation. the best way to equalize that pressure is to plug ur nose and try to blow out ur nose. Its the same technique used in scuba diving. but like ya mentioned it doesnt happen all the time.
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Its pretty much the same thing that happens when ur scuba diving. on ur slow accend to altitude the pressures between the inside of ur ear drum and out side ear drum slowly even themselves out. On a nice fast freefall the outer pressure increases putting a squeese on ur eardrum giving you that nice uncomfortable sensation. the best way to equalize that pressure is to plug ur nose and try to blow out ur nose. Its the same technique used in scuba diving. but like ya mentioned it doesnt happen all the time.

Yes, when I have gone more than about 12' down during scuba I need to descend and ascend very slowly. IIRC (it's been a long time) the descent was a pain in the ass. The person I was with got a bit annoyed that I kept stopping.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I do quite a bit of deep free diving, which involves repetitive and rapid descents and ascents. Among the crowd of people in that sport, Affrin is seen as the magical key to making equalization less difficult. I have a fairly constant, issue with allergies myself, so it has helped to open up my sinus cavities and make it a bit easier to handle on several occasions. It may help, and hey, it only costs a couple bucks to give it a try. B|

-syn

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

I had problems with my ears not popping in the past. On my tandem one of my ears didn't pop most of the way down. I saw a doctor and I forget what she called it, but my ear drum as pushed in and recommended that I didn't jump for two weeks. I waited one week and went back. Then some time later one of my ears didn't equalize at all on one jump and it hurt like hell when it finally popped on the ground.

I've not had any problems in probably 80 jumps or so. I guess your ears get used to it.

Oh and I know that it sounds sick, but earwax can build up in your ears causing problems. One of my doctors stuck a tiny little thing with an O on the end down my ear and pulled a huge piece out. Have them check yours and remove any "chunks" in there.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan