virgin-burner

what's the deal with packers in the US!?

i've wondered that many times, and asked in respective threads, but never got an answer to it.

all i know about them, if it wasnt for boogies or teams training, i read about on here. they sleep in the back of the hangar, mug smokes, smell bad and have generally a bad reputation.. :P

in switzerland, everything works a bit different in skydiving. me, i packed my rig from my very first jump on. to pass AFF, you're automatically having to do the packing test which consists of a messed up rig that you have to bring in order. something along the lines of a step-through underneath the slider and some turn-around (or whatever that's called) above it. before that, your instructors will check certain steps during your aff to make sure you dont jump a malfunctioning canopy. those steps get less as you go along.

so you're being thaught to take responsibilty of your own (well, the rented student-stuff anyway) gear right from the beginning on. i'm actually quite confident i'll hardly ever have a mal, as i'm taking great care of my packjobs. maybe part of that is i'm jumping an original sabre, so, i'm trying to prevent slammers anyway.. and actually, i wouldnt trust anyone else to do it too! if something does go wrong, its my own fuck up and the only one to blame is me.

i read around here that people dont know how to pack, or are only using packers. for me this is part of skydiving, and i actually enjoy it, getting in close-up contact with my canopy, i can check on wear and so on.

why this different attitude? cultural differences? i dont want to call for prejudices, you know, the fat, lazy, ignorant american.. :o

why dont YOU pack for yourself!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Are you passing judgment again on places you've never been to Chris? :P

in switzerland, everything works a bit different in skydiving.

well, we dont get our license with 25 jumps for one..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

they just don't want to be like you and sleep in the back of the hangar, mug smokes, smell bad and have a bad reputation.. :|

i sleep in the bar, get smokes mugged from, smell nice and have a bad reputation.. ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

You're instructors must suck then. See how i can spin it around ;)

I got mine in 18, UK skydiving must REALLY be bad or the best in the world.

I know this from the numbers of jumps it takes for AFF

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

It's like having a chick do your laundry, make you a sandwich, clean the house etc. while you socialize, relax, get a drink, take a piss, and manifest for the next load.

It makes being at the dz feel like you are on vacation/holiday. I feel like a rock star.B|

It takes me longer to pack than it does to make the money to pay the packer.

It helps newer jumpers pay for their jumps.

I know it seems insane to have someone else pack your life saving device, but if they pack me a sweet opening on the first one, I'll use them again and again.

Thank you Packers!

I see it like this in all honesty.

Switzerland does not have a huge skydiving population, the US does.

Therefor some DZ's are fun DZ's but at the same time they are all business's. Meaning it makes no sense for an AFFI to pack when he can go back to back earning hard cash, he knows how to pack and has been there before.

Like you said its for new jumpers to make money and its for old jumpers to make money by not doing it.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

i got a PM saying i should change the sound of my post. there is some irony included, but i figured that people would understand that. forget about the smelling bad comment and the like.. :)
my question still stands tough, why do a lot of jumpers choose to let their rigs pack by someone else?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I answered your fucking question seriously.:P

What part of fat, lazy, stupid, American don't you understand?:D

close to 200 views and one serious reply.. :S

but thanks anyway! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

>>why this different attitude? cultural differences? i dont want to call for prejudices, you know, the fat, lazy, ignorant american..:o
It would be simple to chalk this all up to laziness. But the real culprit is we are leaving behind the practice of teaching skydiving and getting more into the practice of selling skydiving. Cultural differences? Fat, lazy, and ignorant Americans? No I don't think so. And that shows a serious lack of world knowledge on your part. The fact you folks over in Switzerland take to packing more easily is because you get watch making in primary school and you're all just natural tinkerers . . .

NickD :)

if you are training seriously and trying to maximize the number of jumps/debriefing/prep time it makes a lot of sense to use a good efficient packer...
more generally the US market is set up to offer choices to the consumer..you can pack for yourself or, if you prefer and/or it is more efficient, you can pay someone else..in contrast the UK/Eur systems may promote more self-reliant jumpers i grant you..but the downside is that environment is less consumer-oriented and limits what you can do even if you can pay for it..personally i think that limits the growth of the industry..
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

we dont get taught watch making.. but chocolate making! :);):D

is it the business making/selling-thing!?

i jump at the probably biggest club, we're about to have around 200 members soon..

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I usually pack for myself, but I occasionally use packers, especially at a boogie or on vacation, or if I want to toss a needy packer some business. But I don't crank out 10 jumps a day like team jumpers in training or instructors. It's exhausting jumping and packing so many times in 1 day.

I don't begrudge people who prefer to use packers, UNLESS they are "gear-ignorant". I kind of like that idea of having to learn competent packing in order to graduate AFF. I'm occasionally appalled at how ignorant some people are about their own gear.

i agree, teams that train bring a packer, but thats someone they get on their own, not someone employed by the dropzone usually.

in switzerland, with about 7 million people, we have around 1000 regular jumpers. sure its not a lot, and honestly, i've only been jumping around here, so i dont know any better. thats why i've been asking this question.. :$

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I kind of like that idea of having to learn competent packing in order to graduate AFF. I'm occasionally appalled at how ignorant some people are about their own gear.

me too, what about if you dont/cant and turn up at a dropzone where there is no packer!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

and to add to what I posted... at my dz the packers generally spend most of their time packing tandem rigs and student gear (for AFF students)

they also pack the team rigs... but most of the up jumpers seem to pack for ourselves... of course maybe I'm at an unusual dz...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Chris, I guess that one of the other differences maybe that their jumps are a lot cheaper than ours so can possibly afford to do more in a day. For us, at our prices, we can afford to kill a bit more time and pack for our selves.
I have to admit, I do use a packer when I'm on holiday in Emp'.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

that might be a reason, but i dont think the majority earns somewhere around 60 or 80 grand a year!?

jumping in europe is quite expensive at around 40$ +/- a pop. i'm too lazy to look up the exchange rate.. :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I can tell you that if I told my packers that I am not going to use them anymore because I was called a fat lazy american they will come looking for you.>:(

You want honest answers here you go.

I have BAD knees, back, neck. 2 Pack Jobs and I would be done for the Day.

I can afford to pay a packer.

Everyone is always telling new people that can't afford to jump to learn to pack and earn money to jump that way. Well if there where not people like me to pack for then those people would be screwed.

I am doing my part to keep the economy growing by supporting the independant buisness owner. What a packer really is.

Lastly I pay WELL (equals close to $45hr) and I expect exceptional service from my packers. I don't even pay myself that kind of money so my packers are grateful I don't pack and I highly doubt they want me to start packing.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.