PeregrineFalcon

Highest Altitude?

I wonder how much more it costs in fuel to go that much higher. Of course, 11 years ago, gas prices were much lower.

They sure were. Glad I got mine in back then.

I think Mullins offers a 30K ft jump package at around $300 now, give or take. The caveat is that includes the air chamber testing.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not the highest here but 20,000-feet in shorts, t-shirt, and a pilots's emergency rig (round) and no altimeter. It was free too.

Lowest was 130-feet over hard ground. I also did one at 120-feet but it put me in the hospital so I don't count that one . . .

NickD :)

16.5k sunset load. Everyone was checking alti's wondering if the pilot forgot about us back there.

I remember doing 16.5K loads ALL DAY from the Super King Air 200 T-Tail when it was at Tullahoma, TN one weekend. That's the one with the long porch that could take 10 jumpers outside for a mass exit. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not the highest here but 20,000-feet in shorts, t-shirt, and a pilots's emergency rig (round) and no altimeter. It was free too.

Lemme take a wild guess..... right after a test load fucked up the airplane?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Lowest was 130-feet over hard ground. I also did one at 120-feet but it put me in the hospital so I don't count that one . . .

Are you counting base jumps? :P

17.5 C130 load at Quincy. Low, broken clouds meant we spent a little time trying to find the airport. Beleive me, spending more than a few minutes at that altitude with no oxygen wasn't pretty. People puking...I was starting tunnel vision as we exited and I remeber thinking "just let me out of here so I can get back down where there's some oxygen".
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Yes those lower ones were B.A.S.E. jumps. ;)

The other was indeed a test flight but not parachute related. It was when I was working as an A&P mechanic. We'd just installed new turbochargers on a Helio Courier (it's an airplane, not a helicopter) that belonged to Art Linkletter's son. Art was a famous older radio/TV personality.

I checked the O2 bottles and masks and grabbed the two pilot's rigs for my boss and I and we took off. The plan was to pop up to 20,000-feet to check that the new turbochargers would maintain their near sea level pressure.

The flight up was uneventful and we were at altitude and checking things out when an oil line on one of the turbos blew. We got a bit of oil on the windscreen but not too badly. So we shut down the engine and got everything secured. We were directly over the airport so we weren't worried about anything. But looking down I realized here's a chance you don't get everyday so I said into my mic, "Hey, this is sort of an emergency, isn't it?" And my boss said, "Yeah, I guess it is." So I said, "You mind if I jump?" He knew me as a jumper and we'd done demos and parachute movie work together so he said. "Sure, go ahead."

It was still early morning so I knew the winds were light, but I had no alti or any goggles. I had my sunglasses but nothing to tie them on with. I'd just inspected and repacked the rigs a week earlier so I knew they were okay. But I turned sideways and asked my boss to make sure the three ripcord pins were deeply seated as I didn't want a preemie leaving me hanging at this altitude.

We slowed down and I shoved the door open and being careful not to hook myself on anything I got out. About six seconds later I was freezing my ass off. When I got lower I tracked for the upwind side of the airport and somewhere around 1500-feet I pulled and got a fast but not too hard a deployment.

I landed in the grass close by our hangar only to see our pain in the ass airport manager running toward me. Admittedly, he had caught me making bandit jumps here before. But before, he could open his mouth I said, "Calm down, this time it really was an emergency!"

My boss landed without issue and we fixed the oil line while of course blaming each other for screwing it up in the first place.

The reason I mentioned Art Linkletter was some may recall that long ago, and sadly, his daughter during an acid trip jumped out a window in a high rise building and was killed. And a few weeks later Art's son was landing the airplane, which is a rather large tail dragger, and he ran it off the runway in a cross wind. And although he wasn't seriously injured he pretty much turned the airplane into junk.

So the joke around the shop for a awhile was poor Art Linkletter, nether one of his children could fly worth a damn. . .

23.5 from mullins k/a at mcminnville tn. me and some other guy pulled a 2 way off the plane. he had a fullface helmet and gloves. i had on gloves but I was bareheaded just goggles. I pulled him in tight while we were still subterm on the hill and yelled " it's fucking cold" he said afterwards that he heard that clearly. all that time and we never even built the 6 way
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

30,000 on HALO at Skydance in California. About 45 minutes to height in PAC750 and -37C out the door. Got 2mins 35secs of freefall.

IF curious what this does for you alti & audibles. ALtimaster Galaxy pegged on exactly 18K and didn't come unstuck until falling back through that altitude (I had extra digital alti) and my L&B ProTrack got confused and logged the jump as two dives??
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"