JCulver

How would you handle this?

Newbie here....simply hypothetical situation.

You are on a RW jump and notice that one of the other jumpers left 3 ring assembly is not connected to the risers. There is an RSL connected too. Knowing that as soon as he deploys his PC, the RSL is going to fire the reserve into a spinning main....more than likely causing an entaglement.

How do you fix the problem? Do you communicate to them to pull reserve only?....or do you approach him/her and pull their reserve for them?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question...but, trying to learn.

Imagine the look on his face when you reach over and pull his cutaway and hand it to him... :P

Now imagine the look on his face when he's hunting you down to kick your ass in the pack tent! :o

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

so you couldn't identify the problem for 20 min inside the airplane prior to jump but all of sudden you can see the 3 ring system poping out in the middle of dive???

cuz sometimes your problem is your problem

Relax bro....like I said...it's a hypothetical situation. This DIDN'T really happen. I'm trying to get information on what to do if it does happen.

so you couldn't identify the problem for 20 min inside the airplane prior to jump but all of sudden you can see the 3 ring system poping out in the middle of dive???

Sure. Cables with too little slack often don't come loose until you bend to far or something gets bumped, both things which are likely when people are on their way out of the plane.

I've seen more reserve cable problems discovered the hardway (with premature openings) than I have problems found in the plane. Cutaways could be the same.

On a flat two-way you should be very up close and personal, in a good position to see a three-ring that's flopping around.

I brought it up years ago that there should be some international signal for, "there's something wrong with your gear." My thinking was they could start deploying now while they were high and with the time to work things out.

But your hypothetical points out the flaw in it. If they went straight for the main pilot chute, and why wouldn't they, it might turn into something they can't work out.

So unless Billy Vance teaches us all to talk with our hands it's a real dilemma. One thing however is a completely disconnected Three Ring, or at least disconnected enough so you as another jumper would notice it, would probably be flopping around in the wind. So I think the jumper in question would see it or feel it.

If not I don't think reaching in for their cutaway handle would work. If someone tried that on me I be thinking, "Oh shit, what did I say in the bar last night that now this asshole is trying to kill me?"

I guess I would get their attention and point to the corresponding Three Ring on my own rig. And then make the aviation signal for disconnected. That's two fists together and then rapidly pulled apart.

On the other hand this would really be out there if it happened. Sometimes people get distracted when working on their gear, but a Three Ring with the rings together but not locked off by the loop and cable wouldn't stay together enough not to be noticed by somebody at some point prior to jumping.

I've seen fouled or miss-assembled Three Rings. Three rings with an RSL connected directly to one of the rings. And I've seen risers that failed on deployment on the RSL side that killed people, but never a fully disconnected Three Ring on someone in the loading area or in the plane.

(Note to nervous guy, everything happens sooner or later so don't completely discount this one). ;)

NickD :)

The SIM recommends you knock the other jumper out and let his AAD handle it.

C- and D-license holders can strike the jumper anywhere, but all other jumpers are required to aim for the jaw, as it has a higher chance of inducing unconsciousness.

A USPA Instructor rating or higher is required to attempt a "taint punch".

I wonder if anyone will yell at me for this post.

Not me. I'm going to give you a big wet sloppy one the next time I see you. ;):D:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The SIM recommends you knock the other jumper out and let his AAD handle it.

C- and D-license holders can strike the jumper anywhere, but all other jumpers are required to aim for the jaw, as it has a higher chance of inducing unconsciousness.

A USPA Instructor rating or higher is required to attempt a "taint punch".

It's shitty advice but I just pissed myself laughing......

"Taint Punch".

Love it, I'm using that in my next FJC.

:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't think I'd want to monkey around with someone else's gear in freefall, unless it was something very clear-cut and obvious. I might be incorrect about my assessment of his situation and his gear setup. Besides, it's his gear, his problem, and his life. I'd do my best to make him aware of the situation, and then let him make his own decisions to deal with it.

Exception: if it's a rookie that isn't fully aware of everything yet.

Note: I have helped out once for a guy that had his main container open on exit, setting him up to have the bag float out and give him a horseshoe malfunction. I spent the entire RW dive locked onto his leg strap with one hand, and with the other hand holding the bag in place until pull time. That was an easy and obvious situation where I could help out, sort of like being an AFF jumpmaster.

No one else was even aware of the problem for quite a while, and they couldn't figure out why I wasn't turning points like I was supposed to...

(Note to nervous guy, everything happens sooner or later so don't completely discount this one). ;)

NickD :)

These footnotes to nervousguy are hilarious.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Obviously it would all depend on the situation but I think one thing that should be considered: Which is worse? Have someone pissed and you and maybe hurt your reputation or someone die that you know you could have saved?
I, of course, have only 7 jumps so I really can't provide any input regarding this particular situation but I sure would hope that even if I had 10,000 jumps that if the only solution were to take action that would save my life that someone would take do it and not worry about me being mad later or them having their reputation hurt. (of course, it better actually save me and not make matters worse.;) )