fred

You're on a 4-way, and notice you're at 1200ft, do you:

do NOT jump with these 3 people, again...

Really? Would you also stop jumping? Because you would have just done exactly the same thing they did!

That's what I was thinking. You did it to. You are each individually responsible for not being altitude aware. You are at fault for the others not being aware that it is time to track away and pull and so is each other person in that dive. ;)
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

mostly said in jest...

but

I might reconsider those with whom i was jumping if none were able to stay on top of things...

yes of course.. I too would be to blame. so likely few people would want to jump with ME...

only... i NEVER found myself really down and dirty. and i doubt i ever would. I'm old school, and i take very seriously, the fact that base has altitude responsibility, even when it hadn't even been discussed....:|

this was hypothetical.....

jmy

What makes you think this is a hypothetical discussion?

There has been at least one team that turned points into the ground and at least another that was only saved by Cypres fires.

That team (team "pro dytter") the Danish national team at the world meet. The pro dytter was new and there was clouds so the plane circled around for half an hour, the dytters reset and never went off, they turned points until the cypress fired. The only one to pull at a correct altitude was the camera man. He saw the ground coming up fast and dumped. They were given a 0 for that round. Funny enough they were the only team with every member jumping a dytter. Who says theres safety in numbers.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Dumping in place is probably the smartest but if someone else pulls the same handle as you at the same time you do risk a collision. I think a reserve is most likely to open on heading because of the way it's packed. I don't think they are more likely to backslide during opening but you probably don't want to reef on the rears during opening to try and induce a backslide because that would in theory slow the opening.

thoughts?

-Michael

You missed an option.

I've done an upward backsliding pull in a siutation like this. Arms out and cupping your shoulders gives an instant 5~6 feet vertical and pushes you far enough away so that your feet don't accidently kick someone as you swing under line stretch.

Another key factor is what kind of main you're jumping. Jumping a Sabre? You could probably dump your main and get your hands on your handles. Jumping a hot rod and an AAD? You get to choose .....

Here's a good one.

Back in '85, I was on a 16 way for a guys 1000th jump. The plan was for one person on his right leg to pull him out at 4k. So, nobody had an audible back then and no one was looking at their alti. We were just all watching the victim. Our designated "puller" forgot his assignment. Suddenly, someone's pilot chute accidently slipped out of his leg strap without warning and he was sucked out of the formation.

Us remaining 14 co-conspirators all thought, "Hey! You pulled the wrong person you idiot!" :oOh shit, we all suddenly realized we were in a rock stable 15 way going through 2300 feet! Woo Hoo, talk about nice tracking staggered pull openings in a very small cone of air space!;) I guess there are some advantages to F-111.

The clap of thunder as 15 assholes puckered up could be heard for miles.:$

well told sir
That John Denver's full of s**t man...

It's a great day to be alive

This has to be one of my favorite threads on this forum. It will probably save someone's life one day. I am curious as to what I would do in such a situation, now that I've read the replies to this thread. I have a Saber 2 170 and weigh about 155 lbs, so what altitude would I need to pull at to be under AAD fire velocity by 1050'? In this situation at 1200' I would probably go for my main instinctively, as was mentioned previously.
That John Denver's full of s**t man...

It's a great day to be alive

completely agree

ALWAYS get that last point in

at 1200 u got plenty of time

btw -- like everyone else back in the 70s i have burned thru 1000'

So would you throw out as you reach for the touch, or get the touch and then dump?

I'm guessing for safety reasons you'd throw out while reaching for the touch.;)
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

completely agree

ALWAYS get that last point in

at 1200 u got plenty of time

btw -- like everyone else back in the 70s i have burned thru 1000'

I'd like to join this plan and change my answer -
get another point -
point at altimeter -
while my tail piece pussy teammates track away, spin buds once with my piece partner and then dump

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why backslide? If you take 3 seconds to backslide and pull, guess what, you're not at 1200' anymore, you're at 600'. Or, if your AAD works, your reserve pilot chute is already on its way.

At 1200' you have about 6-7 seconds before impact with the ground, and maybe 4-5 seconds before its too late to get an inflated canopy regardless of what you do. Don't waste time backsliding, turning, waving, pointing, or whatever. Just fucking pull.

I don't think people realize how low 1200' is. The skydive is going to end in a few seconds one way or the other. You have mere moments to change the type of ending.

- Dan G

That's cool. I'm just trying to drive home the point that you need to get a canopy over your head NOW.

Oh I understand what you mean. Like I said, Id probably panic like hell and pull since I dont have a cypres to save me. My main takes 1225' to open so pulling the main would be out of the question.