Andy_Copland

A Lot Of Whuffos Around Here...

As skydivers we try to avoid the stigma of being crazy, out there adrenaline junkies. Well most of us... and we mock peoples inability to understand why we jump. Hence the term whuffo was coined.

So why is it so many people have issues with BASE?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

HUH? Your on a skydiving website and calling skydivers whuffos becasue you precieve someone as having an issue with BASE? WTF does that mean? LMAO umm incase you missed the first part this is a Skydiving website. Skydiving and BASE Jumping are not the same matter of fact you have a BASE Jumper.com so how can a Skydiver be a whuffo on dropzone.com when it comes to base? Now if a skydiver went to basejumper.com...:S:S:S

Oh and Andy i do not have a problem with BASE Jumping. No issues what so ever. BASE jumping is from fixed objects you jump out of an Airplane it is a SKYDIVE.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

As skydivers we try to avoid the stigma of being crazy, out there adrenaline junkies. Well most of us... and we mock peoples inability to understand why we jump. Hence the term whuffo was coined.

So why is it so many people have issues with BASE?

Actually, I find I'm becoming fascinated with BASE, too. I want to try it. ;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I'm a skydiver too, I can post where i want.

And i'm not calling ALL skydivers whuffo's. But since this incident i've never felt so alienated from the skydiving community who want to point fingers mostly and call it stupid.

Andy believeit or not my heart goes out to you. I would never ever wish what your going through on anyone. i am truly sorry if I have seemed un caring. I was not aznd am not trying to alienate you or make it worse but and a BIG BUT just because someone's feelings will get hurt, it doesn't make it ok to not call a spade a spade.

it is natural to want to defend a decision even look for excuses and even more so when something like this happens. it is how we cope but i do not think it helps the healing process. Facing it head on will hurt more but in the long run it will hurt less.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I don't try to make excuses for any actions taken, what annoys me most is the excuses made for a pilot from people who where not there. Like we evil jumpers deceived him and lost him his job.

And i'm not calling ALL skydivers whuffo's. But since this incident i've never felt so alienated from the skydiving community who want to point fingers mostly and call it stupid.

BASE jumping isn't stupid. You can do BASE jumping stupidly though just like you can do skydiving stupidly. Just like you can do Diver Driving stupidly. BASE jumping is not done from aircraft. And 4 different posters out of over 30,000 current members should not mean a majority are trying to alienate you. Buck up little camper. I still like you. I like reading your posts.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Hi Andy,

There are laws in this country. One gets to choose to obey them or not. If one disobeys them then they should be ready to suffer the consequences.

Like we evil jumpers deceived him and lost him his job.

IMO, yes you did deceive him by not telling that the jump was being made in violation of an FAR.

I once spent 11 months in your country and I have returned a number of times. If I ever broke ANY laws there then I did not know that I was doing so.

I have travelled in Asia, South America, Australia & and a bunch of Europe. I always consider myself a guest when in someone else's country.

JerryBaumchen

I would say you are alienating yourself by getting on here and making posts like this. I think it's time to take a step back from the computer and take a deep breath.

It might be because some people see it as showing up for X-mas dinner and then taking a big shit on the dinner table. Do so and not many would invite you back for dinner again.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

IMO, yes you did deceive him by not telling that the jump was being made in violation of an FAR.

I may be a little out of the loop here, but wasn't the pilot in control of the aircraft? Are pilots responsible for following all FARs while in control of their aircraft?

I would think that unless the aircraft was hi-jacked and the pilot was under duress, any illegal actions on the part of the aircraft/pilot go into the pilot's bag.

Is there another thread where I can find information on this?

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Why do you come over here and sully our women? That's what I want to know. ;)

Look - you're in pain, and you're speaking out of anger. We're all family, and we regard you as such. We're sorry you're hurting.

If you're sober, have a drink. If you're drunk, sober up. Then give yourself a little time. Getting through this won't happen overnight - it's not supposed to - but it will happen. And we'll be here for you.

I may be a little out of the loop here, but wasn't the pilot in control of the aircraft? Are pilots responsible for following all FARs while in control of their aircraft?

I would think that unless the aircraft was hi-jacked and the pilot was under duress, any illegal actions on the part of the aircraft/pilot go into the pilot's bag.

- David

In order to get a Commercial License you are tested on the FARs. Part 105 skydiving is not one of them. You have to know it's there in order to go read it. Sure, he should have thought to look. But skydivers do know about it as they are tested on it for the A and subsequent licenses. Now, if the FAA investigates and finds that the pilot did have prior knowledge of Part 105 then they might go to the heavier side of the enforcement action.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Hi denete,

Try AC105.

I was not referring to his flying the aircraft, I was referring to the jumper(s) not telling him that they were jumping illegal equipment.

Hope that this clears that up for you,

JerryBaumchen

PS) And for you Andy: when I am in a foreign country I do not complain about their laws, their politics, who is serving if office, etc. I understand that it is illegal to chew gum in Singapore. I think that is a really stupid law, but if I ever get to Singapore I'll do my best not to chew gum. Might just mess with my bike riding. B|

In order to get a Commercial License you are tested on the FARs. Part 105 skydiving is not one of them. You have to know it's there in order to go read it. Sure, he should have thought to look. But skydivers do know about it as they are tested on it for the A and subsequent licenses. Now, if the FAA investigates and finds that the pilot did have prior knowledge of Part 105 then they might go to the heavier side of the enforcement action.

I guess I see this in almost all "regulated" activities. People learn just enough to pass the test.

But, I'm pretty sure that I had to study part 91 in order to pass my groundwork when I did my private training.

Do you think the pilot in this case knew about FAR 91.307.b?

(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot in command may allow, and no person may conduct, a parachute operation from an aircraft within the United States except in accordance with part 105 of this chapter.

I hope they don't dig through FAR 91.3.a. There is no getting around that one.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

So why is it so many have issues with BASE?

I don't think too many skydivers have issues with BASE. I have heard this tired old crap for years.

I think BASE jumpers have issues with skydivers because they aren't cool enough to BASE, in a BASE jumpers view. But all BASE jumpers started as skydivers.

I think BASE jumpers have issues with other BASE jumpers. A lot.

I think every poster here on these forums believes in doing your own thing is cool. Just don't screw up my cool thing by breaking the rules doing your cool thing.

In the old days the BASE jumpers were usually the experienced, rigger/instructor type of guys and gals that knew how to fly their body and a canopy. They also didn't spout off to others the cool BASE jumps they did on the weekend. They were incognito. To get one to mentor you was a process in proving you wanted to BASE jump so bad you would ground crew first. (Someone shoot me. I'm starting to sound like Nick DG!!:ph34r:) But now it's all about "look at me, I'm a BASE jumper and you don't get it, you old uncool dude!"

So now a tragedy occurs involving breaking FAA rules.
Now you have crossed BASE with skydiving and are treading on thin ice with the skydivers because you are involving their cool thing with yours.

No one has any issues with BASE, just BASE out of an aircraft in the US. Against the rules.

I'm truly sorry for your experience and loss.

: What effect will it have on your skydiving? none.

Really, you think that's the way it is? I got news for you then..... You made choice to make a jump out of an aircraft with BASE gear, so in turn you took a shit at the skydiving dinner table, so don't be surprised that SOME skydivers treat you like the guy who took a shit at the dinner table.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo