ASTKU

Ok...Whos had the most jumps without a reserve ride?? Whats the record??

Their are plenty of people that purposely cut away for test purposes or whatever. I'm sure some of them have the records.

And I know a guy with about 10,000 jumps an no cutaways.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Hey, I am new here but take it easy on me... What mind games are you trying to play with me? PLEASE EXPLAIN

:D

The person I'm thinking of cutaway and actually landed with someone else's main (and survived). Think about how that might be possible.

Was a Mr. Bill somehow involved?

Crew dive..
two stack into a biplane
into a solid footing of the upper jumper on the shoulders of the lower jumper,
at which point, the upper canopy is cutaway...( make sure there is NO rsl):S[:/]

Now comes the tough part.....
staying ON the lower person, throughout the descent,,, ( i'd be scared shitless[:/]:o[:/] )

but that's one way of doing it, ( cutaway and land under someone elses main)

jmy

Crew dive..
two stack into a biplane
into a solid footing of the upper jumper on the shoulders of the lower jumper,
at which point, the upper canopy is cutaway...( make sure there is NO rsl)

Now comes the tough part.....
staying ON the lower person, throughout the descent,,, ( i'd be scared shitless )

but that's one way of doing it, ( cutaway and land under someone elses main)

That's pretty close to what happened. It was a CRW wrap, though not intentional. A jumper cutaway while wrapped in another jumper's main then could not deploy a reserve because the wrapped canopy was in the way. The wrapped canopy caught enough air to make the landing survivable. It's one of the most amazing stories I've read on these forums.

Story here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1718080
Owned by Remi #?

Let us know what your malfunction was on monday;)

I learnt my lesson messin' with the malfunction gremlins. Better to keep your mouth shut then bring attention to yourself:)

Actually I'll let you know on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday and hopefully jumping for me :P

1:1079
I believe I read here somewhere that 1:700 is about average.

So with 1 reserve ride in 710 jumps I am incredibly close to average.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I believe I read here somewhere that 1:700 is about average.

Using the USPA 2007 membership survey, we see that the average is about 3043/2159793, or about 1 in 710 jumps currently. Of course, this includes tandems which seem to malfunction a lot less due to good body position on deployment.

I had my first around jump 300B|
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

Of course, this includes tandems which seem to malfunction a lot less due to good body position on deployment.

Was that serious or sarcastic? I don't have stats to back it up, but it seems to me that tandems have a higher malfunction rate... often due to tension knots or unrecoverable line twists.

Dave

>Bill, What kind of packing style do you use ?

Basic propack. The one extra step that I add is that I grab the B,C and brake lines and keep them together through the fabric as I wrap the tail and lay it down. Only then do I release the lines. My theory is that a brake line getting in front of the nose is the cause of most ram-air malfunctions, and keeping them all together as long as possible helps prevent that.

It was my impression that tandems malfunction less but I don't have any stats on this either. I remember hearing somewhere that it's something like 1/1000 but I can't remember where. I'll quote it for you if I ever find it but I could have just dreamed that up.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

I went 8,375 before my first malfunction which was a tandem I didn't pack then had about 3 in the next 2 months.
The trick.....pack yourself! All my functions were from packers!
I have 9,400 without packing one for myself.
Love everyone....trust no one!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"