Redline165

AFF 2 question

Well, ive done 2 tandems, my FJC and AFF1 now. Recently i just went to a tunnel camp and had a great time, learned alot, and met some pretty cool people.

At the tunnel camp i struggled with arm position for a while, i could keep stable (from what i was told and from what i could tell) but it just wasn't right. I got lost during the last 3-4 minutes in the tunnel because my instructor/tunnel guy had me change my arm position from the standard W above your head to something like holding a beach ball in front of my face, seeing its hard to talk in there, i had no clue what was going on, didnt know what it was for, (going up down, left of right) or even what we were trying to do seeing we went off the plan. (still no problem, i learned alot from it), so i just kinda went with it. on the last go around i finally figured out that it was basically a different way of staying stable, and that everything can be done in that position, (turns, up and down, ect) just different ways to do it (if that makes sense) my problem is that i only really got 30 seconds of time to maintain stability and go up and down once before time was up.

Now my concern is that this is a completely new thing to me, and ill be going on my AFF2 this weekend with little to no knowledge about this position and my tunnel camp instructor was also my AFF1 instructor and said that we would be jumping like this on my 2nd jump. so... i trust completely in what was said, just a little concerned with whats going to happen. during the jump and most of all during pull time, i don't want to induce a mal. from trying to pull from this position and rolling over.

Now that being said, im in no way shape or form bashing the instructors. they were great and did and excellent job putting it on! This was just something that was discovered at a time with no real way to communicate, and after thinking about it left me with a few questions that i will address with my instructor this weekend, just looking for some outside input at the moment.

thanks again guys!
-K

FWIW its called the mantis position, its exactly what you said, a different way to fly your body, if you get used to it great, if not then after you fly with your instructor go back to the "W" position. glad ya learned something, im still trying to get to the tunnel to work on some things. great learning tool.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

When I did some tunnel time before my AFF 3, the coaches had me put my hands and arms into the mantis position (which it sounds like you are describing) so I would pay attention to my legs and in doing that, I could get my legs into better position. with your arms in like that, your legs are basically steering ex. legs out=forward movt. legs in=backward movt. knee down=turn

When there is no pressure on the soles of your feet and they are out of your sight, your brain tends to shift focus off of them. so a student will be doing everything right with their arms but their legs are just flapping around in the wind behind them (which could cause backsliding if the legs are on the ass ) or forward movt and possibly spinning of the legs are completely extended.......

So maybe they want you to pay attention to your legs more? anyways, don't forget to ask questions no matter how small or insignifigant you feel they are and kick ass at your level 2!!

blue skies
jess
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Now my concern is that this is a completely new thing to me, and ill be going on my AFF2 this weekend with little to no knowledge about this position and my tunnel camp instructor was also my AFF1 instructor and said that we would be jumping like this on my 2nd jump. so... i trust completely in what was said, just a little concerned with whats going to happen. during the jump and most of all during pull time, i don't want to induce a mal. from trying to pull from this position and rolling over.

It's important that you talk to your instructor about this on the weekend. He/she will be more than happy to explain exactly what they are doing and what you can expect. And hopefully address your concerns.

If you are ever concerned about ANY aspect of your AFF then always talk to your instructor. Not only will they have been asked the same thing many many times, it shows that you have a very healthy attitude to your safety.

BP
:)

...less surface area.

= harder to maintain stability. IMHO, not something for students. Later, after they get comfortable with the box or Lazy W, then yes, mantis is more efficient.

Note: I am not second-guessing his AFFI. The AFFI was in the tunnel with him and may have very good reason for introducing the mantis now. It may be he's physically ready and just doesn't yet have the mental confidence in himself.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...trying to pull from this position and rolling over.

You won't be pulling from that position. You'll be pulling from the pull position as always.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thanks for the replies guys!

I fully plan on asking a good number of questions, i was just looking for some outside input.

The thing that gets me is that after watching the video, and riding around in the tunnel, with my legs as they were, i was stable, wasn't moving around, could go forwards, backwards, ect... just couldn't figure out why we switched positions, haha. was so caught up in learning about it, forgot to ask why.

After going to that position i got stable and actually found it easier to go up down left and right. but either way. i plan on asking away this weekend. thanks for the input!

-K