GLIDEANGLE

Is classic accuracy still alive anywhere in TX?

Are there any practitioners of the ancient art of classic accuracy in Texas?

I would love to visit, watch, and learn. My accuracy is terrible, and I have found that getting truly helpful coaching on accuracy isn't easy.

Perhaps if I hang out with accuracy folks rather than swoopers... I can learn what I need to meet that damn "2 meters x 25 landings" standard for my C license.

Thanks! :)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I have jumped classic accuracy and i can tell you:
- you have to have big-ass canopy for this kind of jumping,
- i don`t think that just advice on classic accuracy will get you to become better in accuracy with "modern" canopies. Technique of approach (read: sinking from above in deep brakes) is much different than technique of flying with other types of canopy.

OTOH, for me (I have made a couple classic accuracy jumps ;)) jumping this discipline and those canopies made me develop some skills that helped me later when I transitioned to jumping with today`s parachutes. Flying in brakes, braked-flat turns, sinking the canopy in small area, overall accuracy, meteorology...

Just for the record, last weekend I went to small classic accuracy competition with my Safire 2 loaded 1.6. and was still able to hit accuracy pad two times out of four: 6cm and 9cm). ...but I was there for heli jumps not seriously competing. ;)

my2c

dudeist skydiver #42

If you can't make it to some sort of dedicated accuracy/training event, take a hard look around your own DZ.

Look for a crusty old fart with lots of skydiving patches on his (nowadaze) gear bag. Without patches, look for the old guy/gal organizing a 20 or bigger way. He/She might be jumping ZP now, but he can probably give you some good advice on applying old techniques (read: 1.1 ripstop nylon, F-111, etc.) to accuracy using a ZP canopy for casual accuracy.

Note: Check with a "mentor" first before trying this.

After breaking a leg on a Demo practice jump many years ago, I use a technique that has been suitable for ZP accuracy with something like a Sabre at an intelligent wing loading. I call it swoop and flair. Not a hook turn!!!

Over an open landing area, you practice going into half-brakes or a little more and aim short of your intended target. At this point, you should reserve more than enough flare power to make a soft landing. Select a point short of your intended target. At a lower, but still safe altitude, let up gently on your brakes. The canopy will gentlly surge/dive (that's the swoop part). The trick is to time and ride your glide to the target and flare like a normal landing. It takes some time to dial in and learn your canopy under different weather conditions (winds, humidity, density altitude).

This is a technique for guys (like me) who just can't risk riding deep brakes with a flare all the way to a solid surface target. It is not a "dead center" technique! It's for putting you close enough to the target to look good on a Demo. It also rocks for off landings.

So, don't be shy! Ask the old timers, they'll be flattered and willing to help. If you're at Skydive Houston, look for John Rich. He's been doing Accuracy long after it went out of Style.;)

Good luck!

Consider taking one of the canopy control courses. They spend a noticeable amount of time on pure accuracy, and it is very helpful.

It really boils down to the fact that if you know your canopy, you know better where it will land. And different people learn their canopy in different ways, but it takes jumps.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Talk to Erika at SDD. She just did her accuracy jumps for her demo rating. I'm betting that she can give you some tips! There are a lot of great canopy pilots out there. The book Matteo made me read for swooping was very helpful all around with flight and accuracy. I'll try to remember it for you next time I'm out there.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Sound advice. That's what I am looking into. I like this part of Skydiving. Accuracy is a blast. I had a Pegasus from Django before I took my Hiatus. When I returned I had to have the Fury. Good canopies for this.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.