VTmotoMike08

Who has the most jumps without a cutaway??

Thought this would be fun. Who has the most consequitive jumps that you know of without experiancing a malfunction requiring a cutaway and reserve ride? Maybe we can come up with the record;)

Usually when someone mentions this, it goes something like "Joe had thousands of jumps and no chops... until he started jumping tandems";):o

Personally, I know one guy with about 2800 jumps and zero cutaways. And he flies a stilletto and is one of the quickest packers that I know. I am sure there is someone out there with more.

It strikes me as scary to have 3000-4000 jumps with no chops; you're always anticipating that 1ist 1...

I hope I have 1 not long after I start jumping.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Ever? or in a row? I'm guessing Tony Hathaway is probably up there for most consecutive jumps based on the stats he posted recently - I believe his cutaways were all years ago (but he'd have to confirm that):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3214586
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Be careful what you wish for...;)

How about this one?

Are there any experienced CRWDOGS without a cutaway on a CRW jump?

;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

;)

Oh Jeez. Some of those guys get their reserves re-lined every few years due to excessive use. ;)

Sound like Tony wins... 8400 is amazing! Honorable mention to Rook Nelson who as I recall had 4000+ before he got his first.

My father has over 3000 since his last cutaway... not in Tony's territory, but in terms of time he probably has him beat... his last cutaway was in 1985, and he's been an active jumper (100-200+ every year) the whole time. That's 23 years!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I think Pip has him beat...I know he's never had a sport rig cutaway and he's currently number 2 in the world in total jumps...
;)

geez I hope I don't jinx you there Pip!

I think Mark is correct I believe Pip has Tony beat
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

My father has over 3000 since his last cutaway... not in Tony's territory, but in terms of time he probably has him beat... his last cutaway was in 1985, and he's been an active jumper (100-200+ every year) the whole time. That's 23 years!

I didn't know how many it had been but I knew Mike was up there...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Be careful what you wish for...;)

How about this one?

;)

I actually went for over 800 CRW jumps without a cutaway..... until this weekend. :P

Of course, it involved a tension knot in the bridle that prevented deployment, so maybe that doesn't count.

I'm kinda glad I couldn't get the main out. I was doing terminal when I fired the reserve. That woulda hurt.B|

Never mind. I forgot about another cutaway I had on a CRW jump. Broken suspension line. :|

It's been almost 30 years (spring of '79) since my last reserve ride! Granted, I took some years off to raise my kids, I don't make a ton of jumps every year, and I'm not the most experienced jumper in the world. I would even refer to myself as a lifelong student of the sport. Nonetheless, it's really nice to be able to make that statement. By the way, it was a line over on a Paracommander.

Of course, this post just jinxed me! :S

So, has any current jumper gone longer (timewise)?? I'm curious to know.

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Thought this would be fun.

Its BS. Remember those died avoid having one and failed to save their own life! Remember those played russian rulette and started mid-air rigging!:S

Having no cutaway is not honour. Its just a sign that you have not proven to save your life in a high stress crisis. No surprise that TMs are required to have them.

Boarding a plane is a commitment: you do everything in order to save your life. I'm ready to have the next any day even with the very next jump.

How was my first? Peaceful.
How was my last one? Boring....

Are you ready to have yours?B|

Boarding a plane is a commitment: you do everything in order to save your life. I'm ready to have the next any day even with the very next jump.

Gear choice, maintenance, checks, etc... are a commitment: you do everything you can to prevent a malfunction. I'm ready to have the first any day even with the very next jump.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Its BS. Remember those died avoid having one and failed to save their own life! Remember those played russian rulette and started mid-air rigging!:S

No where in my thread did I suggest that not having one was a goal worth obtaining. It is however, IMO, mildly entertaining to see who has been fortunate the longest.

Having no cutaway is not honour. Its just a sign that you have not proven to save your life in a high stress crisis. No surprise that TMs are required to have them.

Or a sign that you are a very good packer.
Or that you maintain your gear to the highest standards.
Or that you are very reliable in your body position on deployment.
Or that you are just a little bit lucky.

Are you ready to have yours?B|

Yes. And how do you even know that I have not already?

I think by definition of a crwdog vs a crwpup you've had a cutaway right? Someone else can probably comment further... is it cutaway while crew or just canopy wrap that makes you a crwdog?
-Patrick