npgraphicdesign

Anything wrong with this exit from the plane?

. . . is there a reason why you shouldn't exit the plane this way?

Depends on what you're trying to do, but generally speaking, whatever floats your (solo) boat.

Nothing "bad" is going to happen to you because you exit that way if that's what you're asking.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

hehe looks like he was going for a swim... seems alright to just dive out though??

that's my home DZ weee!

Which leads me to the next question... Is it a rule that you aren't supposed to jump without a jumpsuit until you're off of student status or did I just make that up??
"Love all. Trust few. Do wrong to none." -Shakespeare

Gold Coast Skydivers
Pink Mafia #176

. . . is there a reason why you shouldn't exit the plane this way?

Depends on what you're trying to do, but generally speaking, whatever floats your (solo) boat.

Nothing "bad" is going to happen to you because you exit that way if that's what you're asking.

Well I can see that nothing 'bad' is going to happen, but since we're taught (as students) very specific exits out of airplanes, I was simply wondering is this is kosher or not. ;)

Too bad you can't do that out of a 182. :ph34r:

The reason you're taught very specific exits as a student is because at that point you don't really have a clue as to how to control your body.

Even in the exit you've shown, you don't look like you have immediate control, but you get it within a couple of seconds. Your instructors wouldn't have given you a solo sign off if they didn't think you could recover from exit instabilities.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The reason you're taught very specific exits as a student is because at that point you don't really have a clue as to how to control your body.

Even in the exit you've shown, you don't look like you have immediate control, but you get it within a couple of seconds. Your instructors wouldn't have given you a solo sign off if they didn't think you could recover from exit instabilities.

Thanks Guade...but that's not me in the video..wish it was. [:/] I still have twenty..(checks his handbook)...one more jumps to go before my A. :o

I had a screwy exit recently. On an SCR attempt you have to exit unlinked. I had my left foot on the threshold and pushed off with that leg...without thinking about the fact that I didn't have hold of anyone. So, I got my arms in and did a nice spin, then popped my arms and legs out fast to try and stabilize once I was back on the line of flight. Whatever works safely, I guess.

37 second long exit video
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Nothing wrong with that exit. Nice way to practice getting stable after an unstable exit. It definitely shows the exuberance associated with getting signed off for solo.

Having said that, what is your goal? Is it to goof around in sky? To throw yourself out of the plane and to just revel in the sensory rush? If so, great. No problem. Totally understand it.

If your goal is continuous (or any) improvement, then why waste the video guy? You will not get video on every jump. And you will definitely not get solo dedicated video on every jump. This individual had a perfect opportunity to get video of his best effort at a solo exit and the remainder of that jump's freefall. You can take such a video to one of the (or every)hotshots of your chosen discipline and say, whaddayathink? With very little effort you probably could have gotten incredible insight from several different people on the same jump. I am willing to bet that some of the best skydivers at your dropzone did not jump with you during your AFF. Perfect chance to get their input, now.

Such an example would be the group which exited before you, especially the individual with the red rig directly in front of the camera. Although the back is straight, so are the legs. S/he is taking up much more room in the door than is required. For the size of group on that jump, no problem. But with a second or third row of jumpers, that body posture is unacceptable. Again, muscle memory and building habits. What you do in training, you do in competition. What you do with small groups, you will do with large groups.

If hurtling myself out the door was my desire on that jump, I would have asked the video guy if he could get my second jump.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

:D:D
Nothing wrong with this at all.

You'll see many more "cool" exits in your skydiving lifetime. In the big scheme of things, this one is not really a big deal as far as exits go. What's "cool" about it is that it shows a young jumper simply having fun on his first solo...and good on him!

To the poster who mentioned "wasted video".
Are you kidding? A young jumper getting video of his first solo? Wasted? Obviously, you've forgotten what it's like to be a young jumper. This young jumper took advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...and again, good on him!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What's wrong with this exit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xblgzg6XY

I didn't even realize the plane was still there for a few seconds. There's no such thing as wasted video, with some fun editing. The guy was having fun, that's what's important, if your not having fun why do it?
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

To the poster who mentioned "wasted video".
Are you kidding? A young jumper getting video of his first solo? Wasted? Obviously, you've forgotten what it's like to be a young jumper. This young jumper took advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity...and again, good on him!

totally agrre with that ! IF ONLY i had this opportunity i surely would have take it !

great to see people having safe fun without performance in mind !

cheers.
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

There is nothing wrong with doing a solo exit like that because stability issues on exit won't really affect the skydive. However, on a group exit I would suggest presenting better to the realative wind. This will give more stability and not cause traffice problems for other jumpers on the skydive.In this case a 180 degree turn resulted before finally stabilizing and presenting to the realative wind,

When I teach a diving exit like this I like to emphasize exiting with the right arm up and right leg up toward the wingtip. This presents the entire front of the body to the realative wind and it is very stable. I also tell jumpers to look at the wingtip as this helps them present correctly as well.

Also welcome to the sport
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

There is nothing wrong with doing a solo exit like that because stability issues on exit won't really affect the skydive. However, on a group exit I would suggest presenting better to the realative wind. This will give more stability and not cause traffice problems for other jumpers on the skydive.In this case a 180 degree turn resulted before finally stabilizing and presenting to the realative wind,

When I teach a diving exit like this I like to emphasize exiting with the right arm up and right leg up toward the wingtip. This presents the entire front of the body to the realative wind and it is very stable. I also tell jumpers to look at the wingtip as this helps them present correctly as well.

Also welcome to the sport

Thank you for the reply and the welcome. Did 3 jumps this weekend...can't wait to go next weekend. Hoping to fly (pun intended) through my D2, my E and F. B|

forget the exit - how about that cool front loop and great performance at pull time

as long as the jumper knows the proper way to exit stable when they want to, then who cares how they exit at other times :)
carry on

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

AND that big-ass grin at 4:00 or so. THAT'S what it's all about.

I just had to go back at watch it again. It is one of the best "feel good" videos I've ever seen.

Thanks to the OP for posting!
:)

AND that big-ass grin at 4:00 or so. THAT'S what it's all about.

I just had to go back at watch it again. It is one of the best "feel good" videos I've ever seen.

Thanks to the OP for posting!
:)

B| I think it's a great video...and I want to have as much fun on the first post-AFF jump as this guy!!! I am just curious why he did not do more of the maneuvers that are taught in AFF. Probably just a personal preference and wanting to have a steady relaxed first jump?

Probably just a personal preference and wanting to have a steady relaxed first jump?

I believe you nailed it right there. And, IMHO, that's what the first solo should be.

Me? MY first solo after AFF?
(I won't go into my first delay after S/L...that's another story.)
I did nothing except simply float and enjoy the view, no distractions, the freedom, the wind blowing in my hair, the lack of performance anxiety, landing and having to massage my cheeks form grinning so much.

Just simply floated. It is one of my most memorable jumps.

Probably just a personal preference and wanting to have a steady relaxed first jump?

I believe you nailed it right there. And, IMHO, that's what the first solo should be.

Me? MY first solo after AFF?
(I won't go into my first delay after S/L...that's another story.)
I did nothing except simply float and enjoy the view, no distractions, the freedom, the wind blowing in my hair, the lack of performance anxiety, landing and having to massage my cheeks form grinning so much.

Just simply floated. It is one of my most memorable jumps.

I am surprised you remember that far back. After all, that was 99999 jumps ago...:D:ph34r:

I do that on solos every once in a while, just to enjoy the feeling. I'm in a 4 way team so I get enough workouts that I really enjoy being able to just chill every so often. Usually do a few leg turns just so I don't do nothing but that's about it.

This past weekend I did a "fall off" floating exit. Basically go out to float & just let go & fall over backwards. A friend of mine suggested it to me. It was fun. : ) I also did another eyes closed exit. These were both on solos btw,

Looked like he was having fun. :)