goobersnuftda

Student radios opinions-recommendations from your DZ

Our DZ is looking into upgrading our Motorola Minitor radios for student use. They are the first generation Minitor not the later models. They are integrated into the chest pillow altimeters.

One idea was to get the new smaller style of radios that are rechargeable (instead of our old N style batteries that must be replaced) and put a hard pocket on the outside ear of the Protec. No more issues of "I didn't hear the radio" but then there is the possibility of riser strikes.

What are the best or most popular style and mounting of student radios that you are using at your DZ now?

We got some walkie talkies (good ones) from Radio Shack and I made pouches that slide over the chest strap. Trust me, you could hard wire the signal into some student's brains but they "won't hear the radio" if they don't listen no matter where it is.........
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Our DZ is looking into upgrading our Motorola Minitor radios for student use

Is your question about radios or best location for them?

Radios: Smaller doesn't mean better necessarily, you get what you pay for, how much are able to spend? I regularly use a handheld/cell phone size motorola radio that works fantastic. In fact, we had comms from inside the aircraft at 25k feet with O2 masks on and were able to talk to the guys on the dropzone no problem. They cost more than your garden variety Wal-Mart Motorola but they are made to withstand hard use and they pack a lot more power as well. If your budget can afford it, I would recommend you look into the industrial line of Motorolas.

Radio location: I've seen student helmets that had a radio mount molded into the top of the helmet and an ear piece inside the Pro-TEC but that was something unique that the DZ had made for them by one of their employees I am guessing. The chest strap mount method is by far the easiest to maintain and use in a busy student environment.

Like Sid said, it doesn't matter if they have an ear piece in their head or if its on their chest, some students will still claim to not have heard the radio. ;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Our DZ is looking into upgrading our Motorola Minitor radios for student use

Like Sid said, it doesn't matter if they have an ear piece in their head or if its on their chest, some students will still claim to not have heard the radio. ;)

Which is why i am not a fan of radios, I prefer visual aides, a big ole Arrow, and big paddles.

I have seen and heard of far to many issues with radios, not heard, not working, mis communications etc...
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is your question about radios or best location for them?

Both. I am not looking into WalMart chepo radios as Motorola seems to be doing the best in the field for performance. The going rate for most of their industrial new ones are $200-$300 each.

Granted some students don't listen to radio because of brain lock but come on really, out of a jump year there are FAR more people who can not hear the radio because of not being able to clear their ears than brain lock. I've had non responsive students follow their training until about 2,000 feet when their ears finally popped then they were 100% at being able to listen to the radio. Compare that to only a scarce few that brain lock.

If the radios are smaller (like the Minitor V) you have the possibility to mount them on a hard helmet right above the ear. Having a chest mount is fine but even at that we have taught our students that because of the wind noise through the helmet to turn your head 90 degrees and you can hear it much better if it is difficult to hear over your 180 bpm heart rate :)

I'm thinking that because most of us mount our Pro-Track above our ears, that is the best location for optimum hearing. Yelling directly in a students ear long enough is like hearing the flat line at 120 db 1 inch from your ear drum, it gets your attention finally :)

***Visual aids only are not an option. Students are taught with the target and arrow but on a normal jump day and having the spot 0.5 miles away, if the student will not turn around to face the DZ they can not see you standing with your paddles...

The going rate for most of their industrial new ones are $200-$300 each.

I stand corrected. The unit we were using the other day was a Kenwood unit. Specifically the Kenwood UHF Pro-talk XLS. Going retail price per radio is roughly $100.00 with recharging unit if you know where to get them from,other sources may be higher.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I used to use Motorola CP100 radios (gave up teaching AFF for the most part) which I would put in the pocket of the jumpsuit --- attached to the radio was cheap Panasonic head phones purchased from Wal-mart.
The head phones are like the old school head phones - not ear buds - cut the speakers off the band that goes over the head and glue the speakers inside the protek helmet. Tape the wires to the inside of the helmet and out them out one side.

I can only recall about 4 students out of 700ish AFF jumps that said they couldn't hear the radio and that was due to sinus pressure or brain lock because they were plenty loud on the ground

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

We use the Motorola XTN Series XU-2600.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/246598-REG/Motorola_XU2600_XTN_Series_XU_2600_2.html

6 channels
6 miles
NiMH Re-chargable Battery (included) or 4 AA

I would like to see us get earphones to place inside the helmets.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My original post quoted CP100 radios --- the lastest ones I bought are Motorola CLS1110

The XTN radios are bigger than the CLS1110 and cost more

Make sure the radios you get are UHF not VHF as the UHF gets better distance and reception.

There is nothing wrong with the XTN or the VHF except size --- VHF antenta is much longer and the CLS1110 is a much smaller radio

I HAVE 2 CLS1110 RADIOS SITTING ON MY DESK NOT BEING USED IF SOMEONE WOULD LIKE TO TRY THEM AND THEN RETURN THEM OR BUY THEM FROM ME I WOULD BE WILLING TO SEND THEM TO YOU -- YOU WOULD PAY FOR SHIPPING AND INSURANCE

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Just a noob but wanted to ask if having the radios on the outside of the helmet could cause issues in the event of a heavy landing. I know motorcycle helmets can be negatively affected by this as it puts extra pressure on that point in the event of an impact.

I've also been told that people don't use chest mounted altimeters anymore because of the possibility that hitting the ground awkwardly could result in the alti causing damage? Is this true?

The radios at our DZ are mounted to the left shoulder strap below the 3 ring.

we use the motorola Spirit radios, not sure if you still get them new but find them on Ebay a lot as well. You can change the frequency, they come in UHF or VHF, so you have ot make sure you get the right models.

We make a pocket that hangs on the chest strap and tilts the radio more toward their face to make it easier to hear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Gang-Motorola-Spirit-Radio-MU21CV-Two-Way-VHF_W0QQitemZ170263084022QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170263084022&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

we are pretty happy with them, lots of battery life and good range. THey used to sell variations at Home Depot for job sites and stuff.