npgraphicdesign

Skydiving vs. life priorities

For some of us, skydiving IS a life priority.
reply]

...If I might add
SKYDIVING IS A "LIFESTYLE"
Theres no way I could give it up...
skydiving vs everyday life is a tough question, but skydiving usually seems to win if I PAY CASH FOR IT ALL.....
buy some decent gear and a block of tickets and bite the bullet now. Then you can make jump after jump and not have to worry about cost of each jump, I think you can learn better this way...

Others have said it their way.

I'll say it this way.

If you get bit by the skydiving bug, it will take over your life in many ways.

You'll start spending pretty much all your money and spare time at the dropzone (weekends, days off, holidays).

Pretty soon, your whuffo friends and family will stop inviting you to social events during weekends, days off and holidays because "you're always at the dropzone".

You'll start looking at "luxuries" or "extras" (i.e. Cable or Dish/Direct T.V., new appliances, XM Radio for the car, etc.) in terms of #s of Jump Tickets.

After you give up trying to convince your whuffo friends and co-workers to come out and jump, you'll find out that all your friends are skydivers.

:D

Over to you to make your own decisions, but if you're not defaulting on loads, loosing your job, getting kicked out of your apartment or getting divorced over skydiving, so what?... Caveat: if you wind up cutting away (or being cut away) by a whuffo S.O. that you're not married to and don't have kids with, also so what.

A lot of folks get into this sport and it takes over their lives for a period of time and then they get back out of the sport for lots of reasons. That period of time is sometimes referred to as the "tourist phase" and its usually about 5 to 6 years long. Those of us around longer than that, well, we're either really warped, really have no life, or both! :P:D

Welcome aboard.

Good luck! ;)

Pretty much agree. I spent a good 6 or 7 years at the DZ every weekend. Then if that was not bad enough I started having Boogies. It's all about what you want out of life but I would not start charging jumps.

I got a loan for my first rig. If you make 3 or 4 jumps a month you are making payments on a rig if you are renting.

I was shooting video by the time i had 200 jumps but that is a big no no now a days. Over 9 years my skydiving has pretty much paid for itself.

I bought my first rig on credit (well $4k out of the $6k).

My thinkings? Jumps are $40 to 10,000ft at my dropzone, gear hire is $40.

So it was costing me $80 a jump.

Interest on the $4k was only $60 a month and I'm making 4 - 5 jumps a month WHILE renting gear... it's a no brainer.

Now I got my own gear I'm going to try and make ~10 jumps a month, that's $400 in gear hire I would have paid... and my principal is lower now so my interest is roughly $40 a month.

Credit made complete sense, but then again I'm paying off the loan quickly.

Credit made complete sense, but then again I'm paying off the loan quickly.

A fixed ammount loan is a lot different to a creditcard debt.

I did go into CC debt in my late teens/early 20s and it took YEARS to pay off.
I would never advocate CC for skydiving or gear.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Allow me to submit this for your approval. At the time being you may be all gun ho on skydiving. I totally understand that.

However lets say the sport loses a its luster for you and you find something else.

Now lets also say that you racked up 5k in CC charges leraning and getting your first set of used gear.

Unless you pay that off right away you can be paying for years for an activity you no longer do.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192