hudsonderek

The Pay Scale, fair?

Just the title of this thread means just another sent of whining about what a subjective term like "fair" means.

"Fair" to just about everybody just means someone thinks they WANT more money for doing nothing more than the next guy. (Which, BTW, isn't really fair at all, is it?)

Supply and demand applies. People get paid what they accept in the contract they are taking. And that's about as 'fair' as the world can be.

1 - if a person can't make more at another, equivalent type of job, then they are being paid 'fair'

2 - if a person can make more at another equivalent type of job, then they can go and apply for that other job - that is also 'fair'.

So I don't know what's unfair unless the employee is a big coward that won't take charge of their own life.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

And the pilot is the one person physically capable of flying all 80 loads so even at the paltry rate of $10 per load he is now the highest paid person at $800. And just as a note, the pilots at our DZ get much more than $10 per load.

So, it is likely in your own case that the pilot is the highest paid person.

If the 182 is going to 9,000 or 10,000' 18 to 20 loads is one hell of a long day, figuring 35 to 40 min turn time. Maybe if it's a 182 with a 300 hp engine, it could turn 30 loads in a day.

Basically, for a 182 DZ to turn 40 tandems in a day, it would need to be flying more than one airplane. Especially if they were doing anything other than tandems.

One of my fun jumpers told me one day that I should be paying my pilots more. My response was that I didn't really care, and would pay him $20. That being the case, her jump cost would have to go up $4 as well. Her response was "Why do I always got to pay!?!?

If I had to pay $20 a load for the pilot, I would. Every cent of that cost would be passed along to the jumping customer. One thing I will say, and don't think that most jumpers appreciate is how much work flying jumpers on a long summer day is! We should all take every opportunity to thank our pilots, and let them know how much they are appreciated! Lord knows they're not doing it for the immediate pay.

Hey! If you want to get rich, why not be the DZO? He's the one who's screwing everyone, while reaping in the profits, sitting on his ass all day barking orders! You don't even have to know up from down to be the DZO. Just hire out all the skilled work. Easy as taking candy from a baby!

Martin
DZO AC DZ Wichita Kansas
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hey! If you want to get rich, why not be the DZO? He's the one who's screwing everyone, while reaping in the profits, sitting on his ass all day barking orders! You don't even have to know up from down to be the DZO. Just hire out all the skilled work. Easy as taking candy from a baby!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Bitter, party of one, your table is ready."
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

One of my fun jumpers told me one day that I should be paying my pilots more. My response was that I didn't really care, and would pay him $20. That being the case, her jump cost would have to go up $4 as well. Her response was "Why do I always got to pay!?!?

Still charging your wife full price for slots, no wonder everyone says your such a over priced tight ass, I bet you've raised your rates this season to pay for your new harley davidson & your new 4500 sqft house.....didn't you!

Hey! If you want to get rich, why not be the DZO? He's the one who's screwing everyone, while reaping in the profits, sitting on his ass all day barking orders! You don't even have to know up from down to be the DZO.

Seems to be working for you........:P:D:D:D:P When is the house warming party? Do we get to jump in for free.......:ph34r:
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

LOL, I really don't care what the pilots get paid I only care what the AFFI's make! ;-) Seriously, I was trying to make a point that the numbers the OP put forth were a bit biased to suite his point. ;)

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Our pilots don't get paid at all...nor instructors, coaches, manifest "staff", etc.

Do you at least get free jumps for all that work? I work a lot in the sport, but I also give away a lot of free coaching, etc. with the money I make instructing. Being an instructor, whether S/L, AFF, or tandem, is hard work. I wouldn't do it for free for very long. Why not fun jump instead of working in the classroom all morning or hauling another 230# guy out the door?

It sounds like you guys have a great volunteer thing. I hope it lasts.:)

Just a few thoughts on the issue of pilot pay. The following comes from my personal experience as a jump pilot both full and part time since 1982.

1. Unfortunately having a lot of hours flying jumpers
does not always land you a better job even if it
is in turbines. At most DZs there is no formalized
training with the attendant documentation for that
training that airlines want from a candidate that is
applying for a positon. Airlines use a candidates
previous training records to determine the
potential of that candidate to be successful in
that airlines training program.
That is very important to any airline that is going
to spend a lot of money training you before you
even step in the airplane (in my case our Co.
claimed $47,000. Not sure about that but I do
know that the sims at USAIR are around $900
per hour). Last but not least is that a pilot flying
skydivers gets not one hour of instrument
experience and THAT is what any part 135 or 121
operator wants - experience in keeping the dirty
side down in the nasty.

2. Unfortunately most DZs, because they can not
afford to or they simply do not feel the need
to spend the money, do not have any sort of
initial or recurrent training program for their
pilots that comes close to that which is needed
for the caliber of aircraft that is now operated at a
lot of DZs. Because of this fact it would sure
make sense for a DZ to at least try and hire
pilots with as much experience as possible.

In closing, I don't advocate paying a gold mind for
pilot services but one would think that paying just
a bit better for a pilot that has at least a modicum
of experience would greatly enhance safety and also realize another return for the DZ, greater longevity
of the equipment.
I know that most of us as jumpers really don't think too consciously about our own safety in the aircraft but the real question should be - what quality of
pilot do YOU want at the controls when that aircraft
loses one right after rotation and your wife or child
is on board?

At my DZ the packers get $10 for a tandem and the TM's get $30 for a load, pilots get $10. It is supply and demand. The pilots are the ones who love to fly, hell one of them is about 80 years old and you have to force him to take the money. I don't even mind packing as long as I get on the windrift or sunset loads.

The TM's get the most because they're in demand and if someone rubs them the wrong way they just threaten to quit. They make on average $60/hr and I've seen 12-16 tandems in a day. They expect the students dressed for them and their rigs carried in from the landing area. As I understand it our chief instructor (also a TM) got canned because he refused to dispatch students they paid less and took more work.

So if pilots were really hard to find. If they expected us to run coffee out, set up the ladder, fuel the plane etc etc then they'd get paid more per load. If they showed up and said "hey you didn't pull the foamies out of the cowl and unhook the tiedowns, this morning - if that happens again and I'm not showing up for work tomorrow" then I guess we'd have to bow down and kiss their asses too.

Most DZ's would fail if the pilot or the TM's quit. Us low paid folks are easy to replace. In our area the DZO gets paid the least.

-Michael

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

"Bitter, party of one, your table is ready."

Obviously tongue in cheek, but seriously how some skydivers see the DZO. Also interesting how the guys with a year in the sport, and a couple hundred jumps are full of advice, and the first to get upset with the ass hole DZO's decisions.

Why would I be bitter, I own the football. I get to be the guy to push all the fun jumpers buttons, and send them away bitter! :P
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

[I know that most of us as jumpers really don't think too consciously about our own safety in the aircraft but the real question should be - what quality of
is on board?

Well said, Bill, well said. Anyone, jumper or pilot, can show up when the sun is shining and everything works. The ones with the sand stand out when the malfunctions happen and the world turns to crap in a heartbeat.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

[I know that most of us as jumpers really don't think too consciously about our own safety in the aircraft but the real question should be - what quality of
is on board?

Well said, Bill, well said. Anyone, jumper or pilot, can show up when the sun is shining and everything works. The ones with the sand stand out when the malfunctions happen and the world turns to crap in a heartbeat.

I second Bill's comments. When the shit does hit the fan, it's nice knowing someone w/ solid experience is at the controls. And is being paid appropriately.

I just got a note from "the Universe"

Whenever your perspective on something creates emotional pain, it's always because your perspective is still so narrow that you've yet to see all the good it will make possible.

Because it will.

I can see clearly now...
The Universe

This disparity has been noted for years and years and once in awhile I bring the topic up.

It is supply and demand. Now, if we just give our new commercial pilots or pilots moving up from piston to turbine a sense of self worth the pay would increase because they wouldn't be taking the jobs. I worked my ass off at a Cessna DZ in KC. I flew the loads then packed the student rigs and jm rigs just to have some money (the DZ was always behind paying me). I didn't get my first airline job until 7 years after graduating my university for aviation. How many of you out there want to "intern" for 7 years? Didn't think so.

Your pilots are human beings. But if you use an analogy of aircraft engine operation you might see what I'm getting at. You can't run your engine in the red for very long before it fails. Run it within limits and it will last a long time and won't cost you more in the long run. Do you want to pay a little more now or a lot later? You must ensure your pilot is running within parameters as a human. They have to afford to eat and a place to live. They can be under tremendous stress due to financial obligations while getting that training. Do you want them distracted while working at your operation? No, you want them focussed totally on the task at hand. DZs have never given much thought to human factors in accidents and incidents. Or how a "corporate culture" or "industry culture" can play into it. Things that don't show up at the accident site and can't be photographed or measure with an instrument. It takes humans watching out for each other before the accident happens to prevent it. You don't want your pilot to be the weak link in this chain.

Treat the pilots with respect. Give them a sense of self worth either by increasing pay or adding perks that are not as tangible as money yet motivate the employee (free jumps, free sandwich brought out to them, etc...) And for God's sake watch for signs your diver driver is getting bored. Yanking and banking for the thrill of it is a sure way to creating more maintenance down the road or to a smoking hole when the fly by goes bad (accelerated stall trying to buzz campground on first load of day with a full load in the back).
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

the pilot is required to have a commercial rating which on average cost anywhere from $25,000 to $40,000.

You don't need a commercial rating to be a jump plane pilot, a PPL with an extra training package given by the CAA is enough.

BRAVO, you've hit the nail on the head. I could not
agree more; "treat the pilots with respect and give them a sense of self worth". I would also add that this should go for ANY pilot that you've entrusted with your well being - 182 driver to the DC3 driver - low timer to high timer. Also your thought on the perks - ABSOLUTELY - if a DZ can't afford more money then providing lunch, etc. really goes a long way toward a positive attitude and that sense that the jumpers and/or DZO gives a damn.

Here in the States and in Canada to need a Commercial rating to fly jumpers. clip clip

This keeps coming up. I suppose it is because everyone has the tandem/commercial operation mindset. In the US there are a number of circumstances where a private pilot can fly a jump plane legally. Just one example: Two (or 4 or 5) private pilots are also skydivers. They rotate flying and jumping, then they split expenses. It's perfectly legal and just one example.

Ed

Generally as a jump pilot you are flying old airplanes with high time engines, the airframes have been close to redline airspeed by many inexperienced pilots and therefore probably overstressed. you're often taking off past max gross weight with a rearward CG, and lets face it, the maintenance is often neglected. seems pretty risky to me, ohh and one more thing, people are jumping out out your fucking airplane with big inflatable things that can easily get caught on the tail.

Um...You're freaking me out here a little, man.

Oh, and I'm a high school teacher. I get paid less than all you guys and I have 4 years of a undergratuate work, early field experience, one year of post graduate work and a year as a student teacher. I know I get summers off, but I need them because (and here's the worst part of the job) I work with...kids. Brrr.