tacmedic

AAF A License in a week program?

Hello folks I'm new to this forum and really new to the sport with just 3 S/L jumps. I have 2 questions the first is: I have been considering taking a vacation and attending Skydive Spaceland's "A license in a week" course and was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of this course good or bad or could vouch for the program and/or skill of the instructors. The second is: I have bought the SIM and have been reading the forums here gleaning information. Are there any other good sources of information ie videos/books ect... that would be useful?
Thanks for any help you can give a newbie :)
Tac

SD Spaceland's staff are all top notch. Their training program is good as well.

There are some books out there like "Jump!" and a couple others. I'm sure that the author will post his book here as he usually does. Honestly, though, at your point in skydiving I'd stick to the SIM and talking to YOUR instructors.

Call down to Spaceland and ask them any questions you might have. You can get on their forums as well and ask there. DJ runs their student program and he posts on their forums and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

(AFF = Accelerated Free Fall, AAF = Accelerated Asshole Freeflier?):D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Spaceland has had students from Washington state, New York, and many other states as well as Egypt, Germany and other countries for the "A" in a week program. I have had students call and email me from many of those places excited about the ability levels they have reached compared to others with similar jump numbers. We have also had a great increase in local students due in part to the "A" in week program. One of the reasons I chose to work at Spaceland is the student program. You will learn more in one week than most of us learned in our first year of skydiving.

ALL your jumps will be videoed by your instructor, used for debrief, and put on DVD for you to keep. All but one of our Solo instructors have been in the sport for over ten years, a couple for 20 years and one for 40 years. The level of knowledge and experience in this group is exceptional. I would be happy to answer any questions you have and help you setup your training.

Blue Skies
DJ Marvin

a week is a tight schedule for anyone anywhere. It generally does not allow for weather days, fatigue, etc. Sure we have people who do it, but it is rare.

I would plan 10-14 days of skydiving to finish your A license.

We wrote a good doc about getting your license (at our place), but a lot of the info applies to skydiving in general.

http://www.skydivecity.com/html/students/aff/documents/AFFInformationPackage.pdf

No doubt a week can be a tight schedule, however for the dedicated soul with a limited schedule it is very attainable. We have had a fair number of students accomplish their license in a week, including using those weather days for packing class.

That being said, I agree with TK and if you can put aside two weeks for your trip it is always better to have more time. The PDF file linked also has some really good information to help you along the way.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I wish I was able to dedicate that kind of time to my license. I finished AFF over a few weeks. I made the most progress when I did a few jumps in a day because my body was learning new positions and got hammerred in some more very quickly withouth it forgetting.

When I had to wait a week for my next jump there was a bit of re-learning at the beginning of the following jump...

Good for those who can do this program. It sounds awesome!

You may want to keep in mind there are generally no guarantees implied with most of these programs. You may have to repeat some levels as many of us did. In which case it will mean more money and time.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I went through Skydive Spaceland's "A License in a Week" - I'm the one from Egypt (American living abroad). I was in Houston for work earlier this year and did my first 4 tandems there. After I returned home, I couldn't stop thinking about it and watching my video. I finally decided to get my A license and I wouldn't go anywhere else. Because I was flying in specifically for that, I could've gone anywhere in the States, but I just felt very comfortable with the staff there (the DZ itself, safety conscious, helpfulness, equipment, etc.).

I planned to be there for 12 days - just in case (flying in from Egypt is expensive), but it turned out not to be necessary. Shortly after I started there were 4 guys (2 from out of state) who did the same thing - all 5 of us getting our licenses in 7 days or less. I will say that it can be rough physically - using some muscles you haven't used before. I am in my late 30's and I was a bit sore that week.

I did have to redo one of my levels - 2, maybe 3 times. Frustrating, but necessary. And I'm very glad I did.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.