MakeItHappen

NTSB and Skydiving

Instead of editing my post that I am replying to, after reading it again I caught myself saying something I don't mean. I thought I agreed with BillVon on the following matter but indeed I don't. When Billvon said that if I as a rigger, told someone that I could not replace their closing loop because I did not have the money to purchase more materials and a jumper says it is OK and he decides it is safe enough for him to jump, I don't agree that it is still OK. Not if you are going to dot your i's and cross your t's. If I continue to not replace the loop and it wears till it breaks, I am responsible as the rigger for allowing that to happen. Being that my job as a rigger is to inspect and assure the safety of a TSO device (reserve parachute/harness, etc.) in that it has been maintained and is going to work properly and then I blatantly do not follow the manufacturers directions as outlined in their manual, i.e. changing the reserve closing loop, and the direct result of my actions causes someone to die, I am criminally negligent and liable whether or not the jumper decided for him/herself that it was safe to jump. There may even be consequences for the pilot because they are responsible for making sure the gear is in date and safe as well.

There is an entire gambit of circumstances and ensuing levels of importance when it comes to what needs to be fixed and what doesn't, what can wait and what is immediate. Rules are broken all the time. I am not going to say I never pencil packed for myself when one of my rigs was out of date because I ran out of time or was too lazy to repack it. But again, that all goes back to being responsible for myself and self regulating. If it got to be that the FAA wanted to come down and make sure I wasn't pencil packing I wouldn't have a problem with that. Let's say a jump plane has a window that is cracked or a little bit busted up... should it be fixed? Yeah. Do FARs require it to be fixed? I don't know but let's just say that they did require it. OK. Is it going to lead to a mass catastrophe of people getting killed? Probably not, operations I am sure could still run smoothly with a little bit of an inconvenience from noise on the way to altitude. Would it be irritating to have the FAA breathing down your neck to have the airplane fixed before it is allowed to leave the ground? Yes and that is one of the potential drawbacks to more regulation but I think the safety gains far outweigh the potential drawbacks.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

>

>Do I think that just because those jumpers have been warned that now it is
>OK for them to jump out of that plane if they deem it safe? Absolutely NOT.

I guess that's where we differ.

Let's take an example. A warbird (say, a B-17) is making its final flight; its engines are no longer worth fixing. You are offered a chance to jump it on its final flight to the museum.

"It's up to you," says the pilot. "I won't tell you it's safe, because those engines really are on their last legs. But I think it's safe enough that I am taking myself and my crew on this final flight, and we'd love to open the bomb bay one more time and drop something."

Would you consider jumping it? I would.

That is a tough one. I actually won an auction in Rantoul in '04 for the B-17 Warbird lift ticket. Just came off of another load landing in the soybeans, raced to get there in time with a borrowed rig and was as excited as I ever have been about skydiving... I even whipped up some tears and those fuckers wouldn't even drop me off at 4K on their way out because they had somewhere "important" to go. Anyway, that is just a sidenote and I know more than anyone how cool those planes are and would have done anything to get on one. But if the pilot told me he thought it was safe "enough" to get me to 5K or he wouldn't be flying it and I trusted the pilot I might have gotten on. Now after what I know and have experienced I would have to say NO, not only NO but why would a pilot try and take a final voyage on an airplane that may just end up being his own as well?

If you believe you can just walk onto a DZ start asking hard questions and looking around and either a) make an accurate determination if the DZ is doing things as they should be, or b) not get asked to leave, you are kidding yourself.

Well during my 31 years in the sport I have done that, (asked questions) and I have been asked to leave a few times. (very few!) Never bothered me in the least! If you ask me to leave, and are unwilling to answer my resonable questions, it is most likely because you have something to hide! And in my leaving unbeknownst to you! have done me a favor, (It will removed me and my friends from the risk of being injured or killed by your noncompliance maintanance program, or unqualified pilot).
You have also done your DZ a disservice, it will be known to all I speak with, that you are unwilling to show proof of compliance to FAA operations, either way you! Lose!
I agree that this may create friction at a few (very few) DZs if you adopt this approach! But asking these questions you verify and ease your concerns about a operation new to you, and I believe this approach will cause you much less pain and suffering in the long run. Just my opinion!

If you ask me to leave, and are unwilling to answer my resonable questions, it is most likely because you have something to hide!

I agree, but that doesn't address option 'a)' make an accurate determination if the DZ is doing things as they should be.

You cannot determine if a DZ if doing everything they should as they should be by asking a couple of questions.

DV

I agree, but that doesn't address option 'a)' make an accurate determination if the DZ is doing things as they should be.

You cannot determine if a DZ if doing everything they should as they should be by asking a couple of questions.

I agree! I am lucky that my involvement in the sport and aviation, has given me a lot of insight as to the the inner goings on, and the questions that I can ask will make better use for myself than the layman.
The perfect answer I do not have, but again I believe that if even the average jumper were to spend the time to educate themselves as to the basic requirements, of a jump operation as required by the FAA, they would be less likely to support locations that don't comply and may have some effect on these types of operation when they realize that the bar of knowledge has been raised.

DV

So you feel the solution is for every jumper to ask lots and lots of questions at an establishment? How far would you go out of your way to be bothered by every jumper to drag out the airplanes logbooks and show proof that your operation and pilots are decent ones? I have been to MRVS I was impressed by the "looks" of it, but if we are to become that armed with knowledge, my point is, on a busy day are you really going to have that kind of time when you are also trying to run and oversee operations?

I think it would be great if the bar of knowledge was raised but how do we do it short of including airplane/pilot dynamics in a safety day discussion perhaps or... ??? Just talk to other people about it so they are more aware too? Do we just go up to manifest when we sign our waivers at a new DZ and start asking questions? And then to really arm ourselves with the necessary knowledge to know whether or not we are getting bullshitted or not it seems like to make a skydive I need to gain the education of an A&P, FAA Inspector, pilot training expert, OK. I guess that is what I have to do... It will take me a long time to get there so I guess I won't skydive until I do if that is what is necessary. In theory, I think your idea is a good one but I think it would fail in practice.

The reason I don't think it would be successful is because I think the majority of skydivers may take these things for granted like I used to, they can be apathetic and ignorant. If they don't read their 20 page manual for their rig then how can we expect to see a huge change from them now becoming airplane mechanical wizards? How many people are going to get a free education on all of those things? How many people are truly qualified or have the time to teach such things? Some people might and it would be nice if information regarding aircraft and pilots was more readily available. I do agree that skydivers need to be more knowledgeable about these things but realistically I don't see it happening.

I would love to see a solution like this one work and some do get weeded out by that process but I don't think it happens quickly enough and it seems like a step in by the FAA would help to raise that bar a little quicker. I don't know how the FAA works or their timelines. If they are just a slow government agency with a lot of beaurocratic BS or they are like hawks in the way the oversee things. I know there are a lot of problems right now in the airline industry and I am not sure where skydiving plays in the list of importance.

So you feel the solution is for every jumper to ask lots and lots of questions at an establishment? How far would you go out of your way to be bothered by every jumper to drag out the airplanes logbooks and show proof that your operation and pilots are decent ones? I have been to MRVS I was impressed by the "looks" of it, but if we are to become that armed with knowledge, my point is, on a busy day are you really going to have that kind of time when you are also trying to run and oversee operations?

I have had few persons ever request to see my logs or ask questions about my operation over the years. This is unfortunate! I pride myself and my operation for adhearing to the standards, and receiving the perverbial "Gold Star" after a FAA survailance inspection.
If ask I will gladly produce the documents if requested. Could it be a possible burden at times? Maybe, But realisticly how many "new people" arrive at the DZ every week?, that may need this info? You could incorperate this info and verification into your initial training process for every student, and require new Experienced jumpers to set through this section for verification before they chose to do paperwork and make their jumps?, another thing that would occur is that after a short time the word would spread through the jumping community and through the networking customer base that you are a serious player and keep your staff and equipment up to speed which would in time minimize this effort.
The people whom come to me and ask questions are a refreshing breath to the dailey grind, and I will go out of my way to address their concerns. The people whom in reality scare the living shit out of me, are the assuming masses whom arrive with the attitude that everything is taken care of for them (FAA and or USPA) and they have no responsibility to what may happen!
The amusement park mentality! These are the people who will sue your ass into obivion if they are not happy with the outcome of activities at your location, and their attorneys will sell to the jury that they were not informed by you, that the FAA and USPA dropped the ball, and had they (the customer) had no reason to believe that anything was other than perfect!

I think it would be great if the bar of knowledge was raised but how do we do it short of including airplane/pilot dynamics in a safety day discussion perhaps or... ???

I do this and have for some time! By doing this I also apply another layer of responsibility as the jumpers whom now have knowledge as to the inner workings of the operation, help keep me in check, and are much more appreciative when they find out a plane is down for an inspection or maintainance!

Just talk to other people about it so they are more aware too? Do we just go up to manifest when we sign our waivers at a new DZ and start asking questions? And then to really arm ourselves with the necessary knowledge to know whether or not we are getting bullshitted or not it seems like to make a skydive I need to gain the education of an A&P, FAA Inspector, pilot training expert, OK. I guess that is what I have to do... It will take me a long time to get there so I guess I won't skydive until I do if that is what is necessary. In theory, I think your idea is a good one but I think it would fail in practice.

It would be very simple to spend a short time with any local FAA maintainance inspector or IA, A&P tech in the field and ask for them to show you a log book, and discribe the entries, it is very simple and straight forward, with dates, and entries, that must correspond and tack times that are available by viewing the instrument panel of the aircraft. also you would want to see the pilots current medical certificate, License, and log. No majic just basic facts of activities.

The reason I don't think it would be successful is because I think the majority of skydivers may take these things for granted like I used to, they can be apathetic and ignorant. If they don't read their 20 page manual for their rig then how can we expect to see a huge change from them now becoming airplane mechanical wizards? How many people are going to get a free education on all of those things? How many people are truly qualified or have the time to teach such things? Some people might and it would be nice if information regarding aircraft and pilots was more readily available. I do agree that skydivers need to be more knowledgeable about these things but realistically I don't see it happening.***

Unfortunately I agree with you! I don't see people taking the time to assume some control over their activities, This in my opinion is a bad thing! The perverbial "Nanny State" that you hear so often. Ultimately we will all be punished (the DZs whom operate by the numbers and also the ones whom could care less) with increased inspections, increased costs, and ultimatley reduction of the sport.

I would love to see a solution like this one work and some do get weeded out by that process but I don't think it happens quickly enough and it seems like a step in by the FAA would help to raise that bar a little quicker. I don't know how the FAA works or their timelines. If they are just a slow government agency with a lot of beaurocratic BS or they are like hawks in the way the oversee things. I know there are a lot of problems right now in the airline industry and I am not sure where skydiving plays in the list of importance.***

Well I can say that the call for more survailance has been made through all FSDO offices that I have had contact with. Some positive and some negative things can come from this! First the FAA is like any government entity, and march to their own drum beat, Lucky for us they march "Slowly" They are not currently being allowed extra funding to pay for inspectors to work on the weekends to perform these inspections, this could change, or they could split the work weeks and have alternate weekend activities? Who knows?
Every FAA FSDO is its own individual entity, with the ability to entertepate rules and regulations as they see fit. They could be hard asses (if they have had incidents like here in Missouri) or they could conduct business as usual, (with a few more inspections) if they have had no problem in their areas for some time. But again I believe that if we the end user require DZs to meet the standards, and enforce this belief by not supporting the offenders we can and would be much more effective at controlling and addressing this problem than increased FAA intervention. Money Talks! Bullshit Walks!

Fair enough Tom, thanks for your response. Another perspective and possible door opened in my book. I really can't imagine though going into a DZ like Perris for instance and asking those things. I did try once and the lady looked at me like Didn't I know where I was? And yeah, I did, but that didn't mean I actually knew the nuts and bolts of the place... You would think it would be easy to judge but I just don't take things for granted anymore. Who is the best person to ask questions to and don't you think they will be offended that we are suspecting customers of them by asking for proof? It kind of starts things off not on the best foot?

When I was at your place you went out of your way to visit with me and answered each and every question I had about you & your DZ OP's, So I know your telling the truth in your post here.

The only problem I found with your DZ op's was...

1. the back brace in the 182 student slot, is way to far aft for us fat ass oldfarts comfort, you need to move that back a tad.

2. You didn't have any cool t-shirts or bumper stickers to add to my collection.

3. the swoop pond water is dirty and stinks too as well as it's too long of a walk back to the hanger in its current location, you need to get a pick up with cold AC to drive us back.

With all the money you horde under your bed you should be able to get fresh water in your swoop pond to say the least.:D;):P

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Fair enough Tom, thanks for your response. Another perspective and possible door opened in my book. I really can't imagine though going into a DZ like Perris for instance and asking those things. I did try once and the lady looked at me like Didn't I know where I was? And yeah, I did, but that didn't mean I actually knew the nuts and bolts of the place... You would think it would be easy to judge but I just don't take things for granted anymore. Who is the best person to ask questions to and don't you think they will be offended that we are suspecting customers of them by asking for proof? It kind of starts things off not on the best foot?

The logistics of doing it at a Cessna DZ are way way different than doing it somewhere like ZHills, Perris or Chicago. No possible way a multi turbine DZ can go through this with everyone who turns up.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

[

Fair enough Tom, thanks for your response. Another perspective and possible door opened in my book. I really can't imagine though going into a DZ like Perris for instance and asking those things. I did try once and the lady looked at me like Didn't I know where I was? And yeah, I did, but that didn't mean I actually knew the nuts and bolts of the place... You would think it would be easy to judge but I just don't take things for granted anymore. Who is the best person to ask questions to and don't you think they will be offended that we are suspecting customers of them by asking for proof? It kind of starts things off not on the best foot

This is where I would excercise the common probability issue, High profile high turn DZs (Perris, Eloy, Deland, SDC, ETC.) are scrutinized more than most from the attention they get and the fact that they perform so many jump operations in their season, DZs like this are doing thousand upon thousands of lifts per season, most of these lifts are hauling AFF and or Tandems which create a profit margin that would easily allow for a exceptable maintainance program to ge supported. They also have a very big vested interest, in cooperating with the FAA in their district, and other Government agencies, to continue operations at this location. It would prove very detrimental to loss crediability with the purchasing public and jumpers if your fixed operating profits are that high. Also consider the length of time the DZ has been in operation, most of these locations are the old boys on the block! You don't get to stay and play if you are breaking the rules, with the high number of operations lack of maintanance would catch up with you very fast!
But a new guy in town with a leased turbine aircraft, borrowed equipment and a business plan to take over all the jumping in the state would cause me great concern! Like any form of aviation, when you start out new, you have a bag full of luck and a empty bag of experience, many fail to realize that the point is to fill the bag of experience long before you empty the bag of luck!

When I was at your place you went out of your way to visit with me and answered each and every question I had about you & your DZ OP's, So I know your telling the truth in your post here.

The only problem I found with your DZ op's was...

1. the back brace in the 182 student slot, is way to far aft for us fat ass oldfarts comfort, you need to move that back a tad.

I'll build a new one for quick installation when you come back!

2. You didn't have any cool t-shirts or bumper stickers to add to my collection.

I used all of the money to buy Beer, Food, and Strippers when I heard you where stopping by!

3. the swoop pond water is dirty and stinks too as well as it's too long of a walk back to the hanger in its current location, you need to get a pick up with cold AC to drive us back.

The water was normal, and you are confused! That isn't a swoop pond it is the MIssouri River! and I sent the pickup out to haul back the Beer, Food, and Strippers I ordered when I heard you were stopping by!

With all the money you horde under your bed you should be able to get fresh water in your swoop pond to say the least.

In the midwest we call replacement of water in the swoop pond "Rain" Let me know when you are stopping by again and I'll put in a request for rain before you arrive! so it will be fresh! Also we have made a new overhead photo of the DZ so you can tell the difference between the swoop pond and the river! The river has Barges and boats on it! and the swoop pond is much closer to the DZ!
I stopped hoarding my money under my bed (much to lumpy!) so now during the week while I am setting around sunbathing and drinking Pina Colatas I bury the money on my property, but it has become appearent that I have been drinking to much as I have forgotten exactly where I buried the money that I hoard?
Sorry you left early last time! but it turned out OK! I drank all the Beer!, ate all the Food!, and entertained all of the Strippers myself! (Took me about a week to recover!!!):):D:ph34r:

The logistics of doing it at a Cessna DZ are way way different than doing it somewhere like ZHills, Perris or Chicago. No possible way a multi turbine DZ can go through this with everyone who turns up.

Agreed! We need to start at some place and find a reasonable venue to offer the information if it is requested!

This may be a way out there suggestion in all this jump plane safety stuff but I would propose a DZO certificate/rating from USPA. A course of instruction could be set up to make sure a prospective DZO or current DZO could demonstrate to a certain level of knowledge. It would be tough as they would have to demonstrate knowledge of instruction courses, rigging, FARs for skydiving, FARs for aircraft operations, fuel tank regulations and other subjects that a DZO must have working knowledge of in order to then train his staff and supervise his operation. It is a top down approach. I have been approaching jump plane safety from a bottom up approach for a long time now having my website as a resource for those that went looking. But someone has to want to look. What if the one constant at a DZ (the DZO) had a working knowledge of most things and could point people in the right direction to get expanded training/knowledge.

Discuss.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

When you visit a business (non-skydiving) you are supposed to see certificates proving payment of Worker's Comp premiums, minimum wage info etc...

Seems like it would be fairly easy to have some sort of posting format that shows compliance.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

When you visit a business (non-skydiving) you are supposed to see certificates proving payment of Worker's Comp premiums, minimum wage info etc... Seems like it would be fairly easy to have some sort of posting format that shows compliance.

My thinking was going the same direction on this. All a DZ needs is a 3-ring binder with copies of all the official certifications in it, for pilots, aircraft maintenance, jumpmaster ratings, whatever. Anytime a jumper asks to see their qualifications, manifest can just hand them the binder for their review.

You could even put a line in the waiver to inform them that they can request to see such documents.

>>All a DZ needs is a 3-ring binder with copies of all the official certifications in it
But I could fab one of those up in a half hour that would fool any skydiver. A cheap and shady operator will remain cheap and shady until they go to parachute prison. Being old school it's funny to me some of you are just now getting all wadded up over this issue. I'm out of fingers on one hand counting how many times cheap ass DZOs have almost killed me.

The only way it will get better is if the FAA actually creates a skydiving division with inspectors and riggers who actually know the sport inside and out. I'm not suggesting myself, only guys like me; I'm an FAA licensed Rigger and A&P Mechanic and also have 25 years of skydiving Instructor experience. Give me, and others like me, a FAA badge and I already know of several operations that should not just be shut down, they should be nuclear bombed out of existence.

As for the rest, most of the DZs are fine and some just need a little guidance. That's not something they'll get from FAA surveillance run by FAA inspectors trying enforce regulations by the book with little or no skydiving knowledge. All you're going get is written up for having your pilot's seat re-upholstered with none approved fabric.

And I've seen plenty of FAA Inspectors fooled by glib operators before. I've done it myself when I knew it wasn't a big deal and believe me it's not that hard. What we need is caring inspectors, and by that I mean FAA Inspectors who care about the sport of skydiving. They can be sympathetic to the plight of DZOs and temper their enforcement by knowing what the true go no go items for skydiving really are. If regular FAA inspectors descend on the sport they are going to nickel and dime a lot of DZs right out of existence.

We should either do something real about the problem or just take our chances like we always did before and shut up about it. We should shit or get off the pot . . .

Edited to Add: And the FAA wouldn't kill off skydiving on purpose as they would not do anything that will decrease their budget authority. But they will hurt skydiving through their own ham handed ignorance and accomplish the same thing. It's like they could completely automate the air traffic control system with equipment already sitting on the shelf.

But they will fight that forever as losing tens of thousands of controllers would shrink and kill off all their clout . . .

NickD :)

>>What we need is caring inspectors, and by that I mean FAA Inspectors who care about the sport of skydiving.

You rang???
I am attempting to make myself available to the folks in DC who will have to answer the NTSB recommendations. Don't know if I'll have any luck, but I feel that we should have ASI's who know the sport involved in the regulatory and surveillance process.
Anyone should feel free to PM me with input/ comments/ concerns. If it's too long to type just give me a phone number and I'll call you.
I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help :)DISCLAIMER: The above is my own opinion and not that of the FAA or any other US Government agency.

Good on you! I'm sure there are more like you too.

But I suppose it would be to much to expect for the FAA to put out the call for all employees with skydiving experience to step up. That would make too much sense. Instead they'll re-invent the wheel and the wheels will come off . . .

When you visit a business (non-skydiving) you are supposed to see certificates proving payment of Worker's Comp premiums, minimum wage info etc...

Seems like it would be fairly easy to have some sort of posting format that shows compliance.

Paperwork can be made to appear perfect - it's the plane and pilot that count.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have a few questions after reading many of these posts again. First, can someone please explain what "ground effect" is and what it means to come out of it...

Next, with regard to the Torque and performance that Totter was talking about.

There are two times I have landed in that otter due to engine problems. The first was after a climb to 7K. One of the engines just seized up. I am almost positive it was the left engine that seized but I may be wrong. Scott was flying and I was doing an AFF with a student. I remembered wondering whether we should get out at 7K or stay. When I asked Scott what he wanted us to do, he said "it was up to me". I interpreted that to mean that things were OK either way and it was my decision to exit or land with the plane. I chose to land with the plane on that day and it was without incident. We were over the DZ and we came in for a smooth landing.

I think if faced with the same choice today, I would definitely go. If you are an instructor or even if you aren't, one thing I learned from that experience is to think about your exit strategy ahead of time and have some clear decisions of when you will go or stay. Nowadays, I think I will always GO if given the choice.

Then there was another time when another pilot was flying. This load was much more full. I remember we took off and started to climb but we were forced to land. I don't remember how high we got but I remember it being much lower. I think it was around 3,500 feet and I know it wasn't more than 5,000 feet. I questioned both Scott and the pilot flying that day why we needed to land and I was told there was something wrong with a "torque gauge" and was led to believe that it was just a little gauge problem and not a big deal. Now after reading Totter's post, I am beginning to wonder if there was more to it than that. :S:(

Ground effect has to do with how the aircraft flies when it is close to the ground. I believe the positive pressure below the wings is increased, because it has nowhere to go when it hits the ground and thus gives the plane extra lift. This allows the airplane to take off at a lower speed than what would be required to maintain level flight at a higher altitude. I think ground effect is only when you are within 5-10ft of the ground, being different for size and types of airplanes.
Rolling start refers to the pilot rolling onto the runway without stopping, and accelerating for takeoff. A normal takeoff would be with the aircraft stopped, the engine's power increased, and then letting go of the brakes.
On lots of modern propeller driven airplanes, they have propeller blades which can be rotated, so that the pitch is changed. This is called a "constant speed" prop. Some propellers can change the pitch so far, that the blades are perfectly aligned with the wind stream, to decrease drag. This is good when the engine quits because that side of the plane will already need correcting due to the other engine's thrust.
I'm probably wrong about most of this though, I'll let a pilot give exact details.

Ground effect has to do with how the aircraft flies when it is close to the ground. I believe the positive pressure below the wings is increased, because it has nowhere to go when it hits the ground and thus gives the plane extra lift. This allows the airplane to take off at a lower speed than what would be required to maintain level flight at a higher altitude. I think ground effect is only when you are within 5-10ft of the ground, being different for size and types of airplanes.

I'm probably wrong about most of this though, I'll let a pilot give exact details.

For "not a pilot" you were pretty close. Ground effect is usually within 1/2 the wing length (1/4 total wingspan). You can feel it as the "cushion" as the airplane flares for landing (if you are still in the plane), or on a "soft field" takeoff when the pilot lifts just off the ground as early as possible and then stays in ground effect to get to normal takeoff speed.
Feathering is very important for twin engined planes because the drag from a rotating prop is the same as the area of the prop arc- think of a huge plywood disc the size of the prop diameter. It isn't the drag from the blades, its from forcing the engine to turn. If one engine quits, getting the drag as low as possible is critical. Single engine planes with constant-speed props usually can't feather.
I may have some of the stats a little off, but hey, gound school was 20 years ago

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Question for Totter, Chris or anyone else who has knowledge on this: If there was a "problem" with the torque gauge earlier that year that did not seem to be that big of a deal at the time, it seemed like there was a problem with the gauge rather than a problem with the torque... Again sorry to sound like a dumbass but can someone please explain what the torque is related to and how it is measured?

Would that have anything to do with what Totter was talking about with regard to there not being enough engine torque? I can't recall everything you said off the top of my head but I do recall you mentioning an issue with torque and I am trying to figure out the possibility of the two being connected. I wish I remember exactly what the problem was but I got that it had to do with a torque gauge and the pilot who was flying did not feel comfortable and brought the plane down to land.
Also edited to add: Thank you very much to WolfRiverJoe and LongWayToFall for the explanations, you guys are helping me to understand better ;)