mitsuman

family and skydiving

at what point did your families "accept" the fact that you were going to be doing this forever?

i took my mom out to the DZ last weekend to kind of ease her mind on the fact that skydiving has become a part of my life and it seems to have calmed her nerves a bit. i still have those family members and friends who do not agree with the sport at all.

what to do with these people?!
Hi, my names Jon, and I love to skydive.

at what point did your families "accept" the fact that you were going to be doing this forever?

Never.

i took my mom out to the DZ last weekend to kind of ease her mind on the fact that skydiving has become a part of my life and it seems to have calmed her nerves a bit.

And if an accident happens when they're at the DZ? So much for that idea. And some moms find watching skydiving live not to be calming, but frightening: little black dots - her child among them - falling away from the plane, rushing toward the ground, opening their parachutes just seconds before their certain deaths. Those are the reasons why I've never taken my own parents to a DZ.

I brought my mom and dad out one weekend. My mom's comment was quite funny....

"Wow! you come down so much slower than I ever thought."

This was even after she watched our swoopers, swoop into the landing area near where she was watching. I was like how fast did you expect everyone to come down at? She said I do not know I just thought it was much faster.

:)

Started Skydiving AFF course May 10, 2008
Passed AFF Level 7 Saturday June 21, 2008
Achieved 'A' License Saturday July 26, 2008
Achieved 'B' License Sunday September 29, 2008

I really get annoyed by non jumpers who love to give me shit about skydiving. I just dont talk about it around people who dont understand it. If they find out thay I jump and start asking questions I just dont take it very far and try to change the subject before they start digging into me. I stopped hanging out with a lot of my friends because I just didn't want to listen to it.
HELLFISH 429
POPS 11113

It's interesting you assume that we'll be doing it forever. I love skydiving, but I can't say with certainty that it's something I'll be doing until the day I die. I might burn out. Fuel prices might become too high. I may find an activity that is more rewarding. My life choices might take me to places where I can't jump.

To answer your question, the accepted it as soon as they realized they weren't going to talk me out of it, which was basically after AFF2.

I tell them that the day I got my first and only mal and cutaway I felt I got my wings. Everything did what it was supposed to. I then tell them I jump because I want to live not because I want to die. Then I tell them there's no better way to die. I go from being totally alive to totally dead, with no pain and only 15 seconds of frustration. Doesn't get any better than that. I, of course, don't point them in the direction of the Incidents forum!

My wife was always supportive. My kids (grown) are cool with it, and the grandkids love it. I have been a show-and-tell theme. My mom is nervous. So I guess the answer is from the beginning.

My kids are finally beginning to realize that I haven't lost my mind and that skydiving has made my life a whole lot better than it used to be. They are beginning to entertain the idea of trying it themselves. My grandkids think I am about the coolest grandma around. The nine-year old can hardly wait to try it himself.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Before I told anyone else that I was going to learn to skydive, I did a ton of research on fatalities, expenses, future careers etc... to back up my argument.

When I dropped "the bomb" my parents responded quite well. Though they aren't totally "okay" with my skydiving, they don't hassle me either. My brothers are stoked, my daughter (7yrs old) is a frequent flier at the nearest wind tunnel and has become a bit of a dz brat. The friends that refused to support my new hobby and love for it.......well *shrug* i have new friends now, who skydive and share a common interest with me.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

It's like religion. I don't mind someone who's very religious, but I don't like them throwing it in my face. If your loved ones don't like that you're skydiving, don't throw it in their face all the time.

My brother has had multiple surgeries on his ankles for some stupid stuff he did while skydiving 15 years ago. He's had braces and at one time was in a wheel chair. So, I don't talk about skydiving to my mother.

When someone told her I was skydiving, she sent me an email saying that she's praying for my safety. :):P She has no problem throwing religion in my face. :)

Skydiving has CONSUMED my thoughts ever since my first tandem 2 years ago. Skydiving isn't just a sport, its a lifestyle. A lifestyle that can not be explained in words. So well put by another... I don't skydive to die... I skydive to LIVE! Statistically speaking, your chances of hurting yourself or losing your life are more than likely higher on your local roads heading towards the supermarket than jumping out of a plane. But to each their own, in their own comfort levels. I personally choose to live life to the fullest. Living lifes moments 1 by 1, trying to take it all in, appreciating all that that moment has to offer. Skydiving is the consumate of that! Although skydiving is NOT for everyone, if they could only do it once to begin to understand what we skydivers are addicted to... we know why birds sing! I believe that when its your time to go... its your time to go. I would rather be able to say that I did it.. living, loving and laughing the whole way!! Blue skies.. and good luck with the reluctant family!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

So much for taking the family to the DZ to ease thier worries. After the trip my brother took up the sport & now they have 2 to worry about.

Im sure that earned you some points on the home front.

As for my family I come from smoke jumpers and frog men. Im the lame one.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

some of my family understands but after my knee injury my dad went totally ballistic...."see I told you this was dangerous!" my stepmom was like - "yeah, i knew you wouldn't stop...not sure why he thought you would." My mom has been really good and the brothers don't really say a whole lot.....i am happy with what i am doing.....there are some people you will never convince.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

To be honest about the 5-6th year in...they were actually happy when I started because I had to sell my motorcycle to buy gear...(I was 18) ~ they figured jumping was safer. B|

I started at a little outlaw club, grass strip, duct taped up P.O.S. 182...my folks use to come out all the time to watch and hang out...always brought lots of beer and food for everyone, it was great! :)
My dad's gone now but I talk to my mother several times a week, she still loves hearing about how many & what kind of jumps I made 'this' weekend! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I did a tandem jump in 2007 on my mothers birthday. I didn't tell her till after the jump because I know she'd freak out. After that I didn't tell her that I was going to the SL course either. She was mad that I didn't tell her, couldn't understand why I love it so much. She made me call home after every jumpday for about six months. (I have been living on my own for about 3 years before that)

Anyway, she got used to it somehow, but talking about a skydive I made in front of her, that was out of the question. When I was going to make my 100th jump, and first demo jump, she did come to watch, including my inlaws. I was last to land, and everyting went very smooth. She did see how much fun I was having, and that I knew what I was doing, but she still thought I came in fast. (flew a PD 190 then, WL about 1.1, not that much wind)

One thing did good, I don't have to call here every jumpday, she automatically assumes if a day in the weekend is good, that I will be hanging around the DZ.... LOL. My brother doesn't understand and doesn't want to know. So I don't tell him anything.

My boyfriend is jumping since about a month now as well, we didn't tell his parents and brothers either, because they are a bit more frantic about him, since he was in a weelchair for about a year after an accident 10 years ago. Think they still don't know... LOL. But they do love stories about me jumping, and my father in law even fixed an FS jumpsuit so it would fit me.

Both sides of the family love to watch video's though my mom still thinks I'm crazy and so on... :)

Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

... she still loves hearing about how many & what kind of jumps I made 'this' weekend! B|

Sounds like you should make some more "Scary Story" NSTIW posts in SH&T. ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73