martlet

A License and first 4 way

Got my A license on my 25th jump and was asked to do a 4 way on my 26th.

It's probably the last time anyone asks me to do a 4 way with them. We exited fine, but one guy dropped and couldn't get up, so we docked in a 3 way. We then broke to do a turn to the right and I was supposed to take the leg of the guy next to me. The next thing I knew my face was bouncing off the back of his helmet. I cleared the group and turned, but was to low to re-dock. so we broke and tracked.

Sorry guys. ;)

It was a blast, though.

It's probably the last time anyone asks me to do a 4 way with them.

Why? You weren't the 1st guy to ruin it. I've learned more from my screwups than the ones that went perfect. You gotta start learning somehow.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

lol, if I didn't get invited back everytime I stuffed up a jump I wouldn't have a single person left to jump with.

Failing is good, it means I'm trying something out of my comfort zone.

I did my first 4-way a few weeks back, good fun ;)

YEE HA! Good for you. Don't worry about the imperfections. Nobody expects it from you. More important than apologies at your level is recognizing the things you have to learn and keeping at it. The experienced folks have much to give - - drink it up.

And don't forget where you came from when it's your turn to pay it back. That's what keeps this sport going more than anything else. There's nothing like taking a newbie on their best skydive ever. They land with this unbelievable smile, and you just know they are coming back for more.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

YEE HA! Good for you. Don't worry about the imperfections. Nobody expects it from you. More important than apologies at your level is recognizing the things you have to learn and keeping at it. The experienced folks have much to give - - drink it up.

And don't forget where you came from when it's your turn to pay it back. That's what keeps this sport going more than anything else. There's nothing like taking a newbie on their best skydive ever. They land with this unbelievable smile, and you just know they are coming back for more.

What he said.

When I invite someone just off of student status to go make a jump, I don't expect to turn 13 points on the way down. I do it because it's a blast for them, and it's a blast for me. Brings back memories of my first jumps after my A, and how much I realized I had to learn.

(Side note - get used to that feeling. I don't know that it ever goes away. Which is a great thing about this sport). :)
Those experienced jumpers who are out there and invite you along know what to expect. Like pirana said, go out, have fun, and use the experience you soak up to make goals and keep improving. (And be sure and pay it forward when you can).

We all start at the same place, y'know... :)
Signatures are the new black.

Thanks. I absolutely have a blast jumping with experienced jumpers. I learn so much. I also jumped with someone who is more experienced than I am, but not by a lot. That showed me just how great the experienced jumpers are. They adjust their fall rate and it doesn't even look like they're moving. Someone less experienced is much harder to dock with.

I just feel bad that I make them sit there and wait for me to get my act together. I can almost hear their groans as I blow past the formation.

I just feel bad that I make them sit there and wait for me to get my act together. I can almost hear their groans as I blow past the formation.

Hey, there is fun to be had in most every situation. When someone goes low, it's a swoop and dock opportunity. Sometimes when they go by, I hope they go 100' or more past so I can get a good one.

You'll find out soon enough (probably finding out already) which jumpers have more time and more appetite for inviting new folks along. Those that invite you do not mind, and as mentioned, expect your lesser ability. (Most are very aware that they too are lesser skilled and learning from those senior to them).

Don't take it personally that some rarely or never invite you. They could be very busy with team or staff obligations; or it just might not be their thing. It's not you, it's them. Roll with it.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Don't take it personally that some rarely or never invite you. They could be very busy with team or staff obligations; or it just might not be their thing. It's not you, it's them. Roll with it.

I don't. Even if it is them, I understand that jumping me is a different type of jump than diving with their peers. When you're paying per jump, you need to do what YOU enjoy. Some jumpers enjoy, and are better at, helping the new guy.

I love my jump zone. Everyone is extremely friendly and treats you like family. I probably wouldn't have stayed with the sport if not for the folks at Jumptown.