kefran

Atair front-page article

I've just read the Front-page article about Atair's jet-wing ... it seems that Yves Rossy's work on his own wing during the last years has been forgoten ...

have a look here :

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3212787

as you'll see this one is actually flying without being suspended in a museum ;)

cheers
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Look at their "advanced textile wingsuit' in the background. It appears to be a copy of some of the other suits on the market already. I'd also love to actually know when this wing actually flew.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

In starting Atair’s primary backer was FESTO, one of the world’s largest privately held automation companies. Having their core technology in pneumatics they have the wonderful motto ‘anything air’. Around the same time that Festo backed Atair they also funded the Swiss company Prospective Concepts.

Atair Aerospace and PC had simultaneous developments of wingsuits. Yves Rossi was the talented stunt man who worked with PC on testing their wingsuit. The PC “flying man” suit utilized pneumatic unfolding wing tips. After the PC project ended I believe Yves continued on his own, to build a version which replaced the unfolding inflatable tips with rigid ones. http://www.prospective-concepts.ch/html/site_en.htm

Atair continued strictly on Government projects.

Now Yves Rossy being a stunt man and equally talented promoter is able to publicize things that I only wish Atair could.

Atair Aerospace is a U.S. Government prime Contractor. We are prevented from publically releasing any details, video’s, photographs, on contracts without receiving prior permission from our government customers. For obvious reasons our government does not like to disclose information on what special equipment our operatives are using or who makes them. Much of what we produce for the Army we receive permission to disclose, however for most other agencies we do not. The wingsuits that we have on display at the Smithsonian and now Metropolitan Museum actually have subtle changes made to them over any possible Government versions in production.

Btw the Aerodynamicist and co-designer on the x-wing is Barnaby Wainfan of Northrup Grumman. A few of his unclassified assignments include:

• Flight mechanics lead for US Air Force Hybrid Launch Vehicle program.
• Aerodynamics lead for Joint Unmanned Combat Air System (JUCAS): responsible for X-47B air vehicle aerodynamic design, testing and analysis.
• Aerodynamic consultant to the F-35 program addressing issues concerning abrupt wing stall (AWS) and high-speed flying qualities.
• Wind tunnel testing and control effector design for Northrop Grumman X-47A Pegasus UAV
• F/A-18 E/F Transonic flying qualities enhancement.
• NASA Space launch Initiative aerodynamics and vehicle concept development.
• Aerodynamics/Aerothermal IPT Lead for the SA-1 airbreathing space-launch vehicle demonstrator.
• Led team that designed and tested in sub-scale form an advanced ram-wing scout vehicle.
• Configuration team co-leader for AFX concept development. Aerodynamic design, configuration synthesis and wind-tunnel testing of Northrop AFX concept.
• Aerodynamic wing design for MALD (Miniature Air-Launched Decoy) vehicle.
• Wing design lead for the Tier II+ high-altitude long-endurance UAV.
• Aerodynamic design and testing of configurations and control effectors for the JAST/ Joint Strike Fighter
• Configuration synthesis, aerodynamic design and wind tunnel testing of the ALF/ ASTOVL light fighter.

Barnaby is recognized as one if not the worlds leading expert on flying wing design.

As to the soft wingsuit on display. It’s is constructed of our inventive 3dz fabric, a non woven engineered polyethylene fabric. http://www.atairaerospace.com/parachutes/composite/

Given that I was born into this industry watching Stane, Robert and Jari produce Wingsuits, it was only a mater of time before I decided to test out my own ideas. At first glance the planform is similar to Robert’s SF3, however the suits are considerably different. The inflated shape airfoils and rear deflector are radically different. Most of my effort over the last few years has been going into optimizing the drag cause by the center portion of ones body and pack. This is primary area which is aerodynamically wrong on every wingsuit (except Jii) and where I believe the most significant improvements can be
made.

Blue Skies.
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

thanks for this great reply DAn.

I understand as this is some Governemnt project, you can not openly talk too much about it... But.. Did it fly ?? (not to say this or that flew fist, flies better etc...)Just curious. I'd be very excited if you said yes :)
AFAIK Yves develloped the rigid wing because the inflatable wing would not hold the extra weight of engines + fuel.

Congrats to you, Mr Burnaby and Atair for working on these dream wings.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It's a nice design for sure, but I think that the guy flying the wingsuit with jets on his feet should get credit for the "first".

Yves Rossy managed to fly his design, meaning he could gain altitude, I don't think the guy with wingsuit and jets on his feet was able to do that.

well .... I think that Patrick De Gayardon should get the credits for any wingsuits and that Yves Rossy should get credit for any rigid jet-wing.

any other "inventors" should stay humble behind them as they actually put their life in their projects ... top secret or not !
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

I've only recently started looking into the history of wingsuiting, but i was going to say the same thing for sure... Yves Rossy should get credit for the first powered wingsuit.
And, as for, unpowered, it seems there were many Birdmen that deserve their part of the credit, most of whom gave their lives to the idea.
DeG deserves the credit of developing the modern, most succesful style of wingsuit so far.
What pisses me off is the article on the front page is written like wingsuits - powered and unpowered - were previously unheard of until the two designs mentioned.
Despite there being no footage of either in flight.

Why don't you give it a go Dan? Strap one on and prove it works like the pioneers did.

Hey Daniel.

You said: "Now Yves Rossy being a stunt man and equally talented promoter..." .

Really??
Do you know the guy??
Do you know how long he´s been busy with this project? it goes back way before the inflatable wings, probably early 90´s..
Do you know how much time ,money and effort he put into this project before finding a sponsor.(we´re talking years and years..)

I´m sorry but Yves is neither a stuntman nor a talented promoter.( he´s got other talents)

And fact is : he flew across the English Channel (22miles) at exactly the same altitude in 8 minutes, and on other occasions has been climbing at 1000ft/m at 90 knts with his wing.

The fact that Yves didn´t have big support (like the military..)to what he did, probably only gives it more merit...and he has the advantage he doesn´ t have to keep it so secret...
attached is a picture of Yves flying his inflatable wing with jet engines back in feb. 2004, and one crossing the English Channel 2 weeks ago.

Looking forward to see pictures of the Atair wing (in flight)
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com