finch

leg turns

How do u do leg turns? Its something I would like to start working on since I cant do my packing lessons for a couple of weeks. Thats all I need for my A, so I have a few more weekends of jumping by myself.
"Never go full retard"

Thats all I need for my A, so I have a few more weekends of jumping by myself.

It's a damn shame people are having to jump by themselves. We need to abandon the coaches rating and the current atmosphere in our sport. Come to Georgia, people will jump with you.

If Steve doesn't have an A yet, he's jumping alone or with a coach (paid or unpaid), even at the Farm.

Steve/Finch: find Oren at the dz next weekend. He'll hook you up with some friendly locals (with ratings if necessary) to jump with & learn from & you'll be doing some nice rw this winter season. It's hot as hell still so it's been kinda slow & most of the local organizers (who don't charge $) are away doing stuff like travelling to big way stuff around the country, working, training for Nationals, etc. Also, you can always ask the ladies in Manifest if anyone's around that you can jump with & they'll help you out. You'll have a lot of people to jump with on the weekends starting in mid-November and *tons* of people all week long by mid-December through Easter. Don't be shy...ask any of the staff or Manifest to point out an organizer to you and he/she should be able to help you out once you've got that license in your hand.

You dont have to pay for a packing class. If you just watch people packing their own canopys you can figure a good deal out.

Plus eventually someone will just show you once they realize your watching them.

As for the coach jumps, see who's going solo, or even a small group see if any of them have a coach rating. Relative work is crap without something to be relative to.

If your really that bored, which I was very quickly becomming, save some money and do hop-n-pops.

Leg turns, remember I only have 25 jumps so you'll propably get much better advice, I think you drop a knee and kinda rotate your leg from your hip away from your body. For all those boring solo's I recommend first knee, see what happens, then both its fast and fun.

Keep working on your form, first coach jump I just sorta floated way above my coach.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

I have done a few coach jumps with Oren, hes a good guy and taught me alot. I put this ? out ther because I like to get suggestions on how to do certain things from as many diffrent people as possible and come up with my own way. There are some things I will only ask an insructor or coach about and others I like to get input from many. I will start asking around for the right people to jump with. Thanx a bunch
"Never go full retard"

come to Skydive Atlanta and let me know when you're coming. I'll jump with you for free. I'm not a shit hot coach but with 30 jumps I can probably teach you something.

To whoever asked, yes I was commenting about paid coached jumps. I most cases they are a waste of money. The program was brought about by DZOs on the board to help pad their bottom line and supplement the DZ staff.

From jump 9 - jump 25, I did only tracking dives because I had noone to jump with.

I felt proud getting a sub 90mph average in a rel suit by the time I graduated my A license.

Now I got people to jump with and I got the shittest arch ever and have no rel experience at all :) I was paying $80 a jump to 10,000ft ($40/$40 gear hire), I couldn't afford ANOTHER $40 to pay a coach slot and that's not even taking into account coaches want to make a profit, so I was looking at $130-$140 for 45 seconds of coached freefall.

Screw that.

How do u do leg turns? Its something I would like to start working on since I cant do my packing lessons for a couple of weeks. Thats all I need for my A, so I have a few more weekends of jumping by myself.

Did anyone answer your real question yet.

1) It is sad that you have to wait for packing lessons. I remember one AFF student I taught how to pack after his level 1. We had a busy weekend so I hired him as a packer for the rest of the weekend, and he also got done levels 2-7 and packed his own rig for his first solo...

He had a lot of energy, but still.... You shouldn't have had to wait.:P

Ok - leg turns. Best to learn in the tunnel, but if you can't then learn in the sky.

Put both hands under your chin keeping your arms neutral so you can't use your arms to turn.

Think about which way you want your bottom half of your body to turn. If you want to turn counter-clockwise, the back of your body needs to turn right... So drop your right knee while thinking about pointing that knee down-and-to-the-right.

To do a clockwise turn - drop your left knee.

Screw it... I am actually working on some training videos as we speak, so I will do a quick animation. See attached. The guy is pointing his right knee down and out, so the back half of his body will go right, thus a counter-clockwise turn.

To do a proper center point turn, once you get the leg turns figured out, then turn with your arms too and the equal input on arms and legs will cause a center turn.

Come on now I did my best. Not that I have much to offer but have faith!!!

I went back and read your post. You did well.... I did not see it the first time.:P

P.S. You have a lot to offer. I saw an AFF level 2 take the first step to save a tandem pair's life when he saw something wrong with a drogue, it does not take 10000 jumps to be valuable.:P

Why are you jumping by yourself? I strongly discourage solos in new jumpers... you don't learn anything from a solo. I don't know you or your DZ, but students need to take initiative in their learning process. It is your responsibility to make it known that you are on the DZ, you want to learn, you want people to jump with, and you want to learn how to pack. If you are not making others aware of your needs (as in manifest, instructors, etc), how can they psychically know what you want/need? Show up at the DZ when they open, stay all day, you'll learn a lot and chances are have more people to jump with than you thought possible. The students that get the most out of their education are the ones who put forth the effort to learn, and as instructors, we bend over backwards to help those people.

About leg turns... it's much easier to learn that in person with another body in freefall with you than just in theory online. You've gotten some good pointers on how to get started on here, but that's no substitute for a pair of in-freefall eyes.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

i didn't say it was of no use. The program was implimented poorly and it has hurt the sport by causing people that can't afford to pay someone to jump with them on every jump to get bored and leave the sport.

Good point and well put!

also, going up with someone on their first sitfly attempt (as i see some "coaches" doing) is nothing more than freeloading.

i didn't say it was of no use. The program was implimented poorly and it has hurt the sport by causing people that can't afford to pay someone to jump with them on every jump to get bored and leave the sport.

Good point and well put!

also, going up with someone on their first sitfly attempt (as i see some "coaches" doing) is nothing more than freeloading.

Sitfly attempt, I can sitfly. All I have to do is a front-flip and get stuck on my ass. Whats the big deal, I dont get it? :)
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

If Steve doesn't have an A yet, he's jumping alone or with a coach (paid or unpaid), even at the Farm.

I gotta know something.

2 skydivers. 1 highly skilled and trained jumper with 2000 jumps. 1 skydiver with 150 jumps that pulled off the coach rating.

Are both people allowed to jump with him or just the 150 jump coach?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

To answer your question, start with dipping a knee.

Right knee down = left turn.
Left knee down = right turn.

It's very possible to counter that with the upper body so be neutral and just try it.

Also try this. Put your hands together with the elbows out. Hands will be below chin level. Tilt just the arms without tilting the torso.

Basically with the same position release the hands but keep them close. Tilt each arm individually. Left hand upward, right hand downward.

Then... right hand upward, left hand downward.

Remember to keep the head up and the legs even.

If they make sense, these are simple turning techniques to break the odd habit of twisting the torso.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I gotta know something.

2 skydivers. 1 highly skilled and trained jumper with 2000 jumps. 1 skydiver with 150 jumps that pulled off the coach rating.

Are both people allowed to jump with him or just the 150 jump coach?

Depends on the dropzone. Going by the BSRs either could jump with him if the DZ approves the 2000 jump guy.

[reply
Ok - leg turns. Best to learn in the tunnel, but if you can't then learn in the sky.

Put both hands under your chin keeping your arms neutral so you can't use your arms to turn.

Think about which way you want your bottom half of your body to turn. If you want to turn counter-clockwise, the back of your body needs to turn right... So drop your right knee while thinking about pointing that knee down-and-to-the-right.

To do a clockwise turn - drop your left knee.

To do a proper center point turn, once you get the leg turns figured out, then turn with your arms too and the equal input on arms and legs will cause a center turn.

Required DZ.com verbage here as I'm not a coach or instructor.

I sort of got an explaination like above when I was learning to use my legs. To practice leg turns at the office, I would just sit in my swivel chair and think left turn. To rotate the chair left, you have to push with your right leg. Vise-versa for a right turn; left leg. I used that to build the muscle memory into which action produced the desired direction. Easy to do and it was an effective little aid.

In reality in the air, I'm not sure if I drop the knee or extend the leg out. Could be either or both depending where I want to go and how fast. I think that once you get it, you don't think about it anymore.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama