klingeme

Remembering September 11th (From the PD Blog)

Just spoke with Stu - shortly after they landed. He's really happy with how the jump went (everything according to plan).
Said it was absolutely amazing to be a part of this jump and assured me that there will be plenty of photos & videos to come from it.
Both Norman Kent & John Hart had cameras (still & video).

Stu said he would post some pictures to the PD Blog as soon as he gets a chance (hopefully today!) and then Fastrax is working on putting together a quick video as well.

Awesome job guys :)

Blue Skies Magazine

Hey guys,

The jump went fantastic, an unbelievable experience to say the least. At 3500' we could hear the city erupt in cheers, we could hear boats sounding their horns, and we could see tons of flashes going off towards the sky. We exited right over the river seperating NY and NJ pretty much over ground zero and it was just an awesome site. It was such an honor to be part of something like this, i will charish this for the rest of my life.

i don't know how much the media covered it but below are a few links my mom found with pics. also, i sent kolla a couple of pics to be put up on the PD blog. the pics aren't the best of the best...but you get the point. we took over 1000+ photos and have video so we'll get some more media out there. infact we're putting a youtube video together and we'll also being sending the troops downrange the video as well.

thanks to everyone and blue skies...stu

the link and an attachment: http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Ground-Zero-Sept-11-World-Trade-Center-American-flags-ground-zero/ss/events/us/091102groundzero/im:/080911/480/nyr32409111621/
[url]
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Not yet....not yet - patience young jedi ;)
I'm just as excited to see it as you are, but I guess we do have to let the guys unwind and relax a little and get back home to headquarters at Start Skydiving (Ohio) before we get to see the footage.

Did anyone catch anything more on the news than just the few short clips from during the day?

Blue Skies Magazine

I was at Ground zero at the time of the jump, as I am every year in memory of my firefighter brother and cousin, and we did not see the jump or even know that it was going on. It would have been a great addition to an otherwise somber and sad ceremony. There was no mention in the NY/NJ papers that I saw other than one photo. Too bad there wasn't more publicity. This was a great way to honor those murdered in the worst mass murder on US soil.

Where specifically did you land? And thanks to the Fastrax team for a beautiful memorial to our loved ones and our country.

That video was really cool. It must have been an amazing event. But I have a question. I've never really seen a flag jump before. How do they work exactly? Do they just pull out the door? Or are the flags wrapped in a canister or something somehow and then unfurled under canopy?

Again, Way to go, guys!!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Different flags have different set ups. These flags are carried in a container mounted to the front of the jumper. Usually these set ups are used in conjunction with a clear and pull. After your done with the controlability check (yeah we still do 'em) your either are at the point you want or move to the point you want to lower the flag.

There are numerous styles and techniques for flags/banners and all have thier Pro's and Con's.

The "Drop" flags are getting a little more popular as they can be made larger than the "canopy" flags. Being larger means you can make a flag or banner seen from a greater distance.

I have to admit I am very impressed with Travis' handling of the 7800',he lands it in such a way as to show respect for its symbolism and show the crowd it is a tough job.

I remember the last practice I saw him jump this flag. He landed the flag, then he stood up his landing a few feet from it, turned to the flag and with brakes still in hand placed his right hand over his heart. He may chime in and say it was an accident or that he was signalling us he was trying CPR :P(these hings are stressful to fly), but it still looked reverent.

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The two big flags we used 400's, the rest of the canopies ranged from 170-290 depending on what flag was being jumped. yes, i slapt on a tandem rig for the first time in about 2 years...ohhhh how do i love my sport rig:P

Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down