justintime1983

Horizontal on opening?

Yeah so kinda weird. Didnt really think much about it as it was happening, or until I went home.

Durring opening I went horizontal (looking "up" at my canopy and seeing it split between land and air.)

So that was a bit weird, but then the right side started to turn under the left, almost a twist. So I pulled riser's, either front back or both and leveled out.

What was going on there?
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

Body position as an answer is far too vague so I'll attempt to convey a drill so you can fix it yourself. Often new skydivers throw really hard using a lot of unnecessary body english. Remember, the pilot chute is not a hand grenade and the wind at your side is as strong as a Category 3 hurricane so theres no need to throw really hard.

Fly in the pull position. Head looking forward, not down. Be aware of a heading but still keep your head up. Put your left hand out front. You should be able to see it. Put your right hand over the pilot chute handle.

Remember to keep the legs even and extended slightly. Hold that heading for a few seconds. . Turn a slow to medium speed, controlled left 360 degree back to your original heading. Then do it to the right.

When it's time to pull, wave off early then go into pull position and hold it for a few seconds keeping your heading.

When it is the actual time to pull, toss the pilot chute and return to a neutral flying postion, Don't look sideways and watch the pilot chute. Do-not-reach for the risers. Do Maintain a neutral freefall body position until the canopy pulls you upright.

As it pulls you up right, put your legs together to ensure the harness stays even.

Good luck

Edit: I just remembered this article. Click that ==> Body Language: Helping Your Canopy Open Better
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You know I think that is absolutely the best response I've gotten on here. The article was great help. I will be practicing it cause I think proper deployment is the most important part of the jump. ;)

This weekend was the first time I jumped this canopy. Usually use a Nav 240 or 220, this was a 190 (not to sure about type though.) Could this have affected it?

Before I here anything about wingloading just know I only weigh like 165. (Not directed at hook, just those who may jump on me.)

I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

This weekend was the first time I jumped this canopy. Usually use a Nav 240 or 220, this was a 190 (not to sure about type though.) Could this have affected it?

Not likely. If you were assymetrical especially if you went head low, the opening you described is not surprising. It probably wasn't even a real fast opening. The body can be whipped up like that pretty easily.

Another common action once the pilot chute is thrown is to reach for risers with the elbows out in front of you and hands just above the 3 rings. The legs get extended and poof... head low.

Just do the pull position 360 drill, plus what you learned from the article and check back. Remember to be relaxed. The less you do to "help" the better.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i used to spin when i went to pull, then one of my instructors gave me a really good tip... look at your altimeter when you go to pull, altitude awareness and stability! just be conscious of your legs with a little bit of pressure on em... like justin said... well put by the way!
Fly it like you stole it