npgraphicdesign

Fellow AFF people...share your experiences.

Yeah, there are a couple of other things too. One DZ said that you can turn using your arms but your legs can also allow you to turn. Another DZ said not to bother with the legs at all. One DZ said to flair in one fluid motion, another told me to flair 80% of the way down and finish it off at the last instant. There are other things too.

Yeah, I'm asking all those questions, why this way over that. I'm not just deciding for myself. I'm asking. I'm mostly going with the 2nd DZ on stuff because I haven't had the opportunity to go back to the previous DZ and ask them.

The thing is, I thought this instruction would be universal. I'm learning it's not. One graduates in 7 levels, another graduates in 8 levels. I look on this site and find out that one DZ has only one JM at Level 1.

For a newbie like me who knows next to nothing about this sport, it's sometimes confusing. The flair differences have me the most concerned.

I'm just trying to learn everything I can and be as safe as I can.

And you know which is "safer" about arm bent vs arm extended when pulling? :S;)

I'd ask them why the diff. Most likely one will tell you how one is more stable, the other will likely tell you it is the way we always have done it. So which way did "you" decide was "safer"?

About flaring 6 feet above the ground??? I'd certainly ask why they say that over the typical 12-15 feet.

I'm bending my arm. I don't which one is more stable. I can't tell yet. I'm not good enough to tell the difference. Which one is more stable?

Without commenting on the specifics of how they told you to flare - different canopies require different input to get the best landings. It's possible that one DZ is using canopies that flare best with one fluid motion, and the other is using canopies that flare best with a 2 stage flare.

Both arms and legs CAN be used to turn. The issue is simply which technique that instructor/DZ prefers their students to use. Many places teach students to turn only with arms (legs are a larger surface, so it's easier to start a fast spin with legs, and you can't see them so it's likely they won't always be where you think they are early on). This is the way we teach our students. They may/may not then go on to teach leg turns later in the student program, or in an informal way to licensed jumpers later on. Other places think teaching students to use both arms and legs to turn so that turns are more centered, and perhaps also to make students think more about the legs.

Some things have a right/wrong way, other things have several different acceptable ways. Ask your instructors why they suggest the method they use if you've been taught something different elsewhere. It could be a new/different technique, a gear issue, or simply a personal preference.

And you know which is "safer" about arm bent vs arm extended when pulling? :S;)

I'd ask them why the diff. Most likely one will tell you how one is more stable, the other will likely tell you it is the way we always have done it. So which way did "you" decide was "safer"?

About flaring 6 feet above the ground??? I'd certainly ask why they say that over the typical 12-15 feet.

I'm bending my arm. I don't which one is more stable. I can't tell yet. I'm not good enough to tell the difference. Which one is more stable?

:)
It is good to ask why and note the differences, but be sure you ask INSTRUCTORS. Good luck and have fun with your progression.

steveOrino

I finished AFF in July and I am currently working towards my A license.

Most important lessons I have learned::

Don't ever think you know everything there is to know about skydiving (this applies to all skydivers even those with high jump #s)

don't let anyone belittle you for asking questions, they were new and learning once too.

Find a mentor, a seasoned pro, someone who loves to teach and will take you under their wing and show you the ropes.

last but not least, take everything read on dz.com with a grain of salt :P

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

I'd say after the last two weekends at the home DZ I've come away with some valuable lessons.
Two students tired to ride a 2 out scenario one finally cut awayat the last minute, the other is in the incidants forum.

What I learned is as a student, NEVER just go to your reserve. CUT AWAY then pull reserve. 2 out does NOT look like a fun situation!

The other big lesson I learned (and they did teach us this) is be aware AT ALL TIMES of your handles.
I am always really nervous about my PC so, I've been good about keeping an eye on it as far as not snagging it bumping it etc and, always seem to be meking sure it's still there.

What happened to me was (luckily after the jump)
I had my canopy in hand and was getting on the trailer back to the hangar. Well I was excited about the jump, had a arm full of canopy and was rushing to get onto the trailer. I stepped up on the trailer and "ping" reserve handle fell on the ground. It had snagged the side of the traler as I stood up. So, the reserve pilot chute popped out but it landed on the ground before the bridle put any tension on the pin.

The lesson here, If this would've happened near the door of the plane, it could've been a VERY serious situation. Imagine you reserve PC blowingout the door and then taking you out with it, possibly snagging on the tail of the aircraft. Not good, you can't exactly "cut away" the reserve (unless you have a knife iguess) !!

So ALWAYS be aware of your handles!!! (Plus, if that were my rig I'd be paying for a re-pack!!)
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

What I have learned.

Try to do as many levels with the same JM as possible so you can get to know them and how they are going to going to give their signals.

Also make sure you discuss how they are going to communicate with you each jump; my lv 3 I just stared at my smiling reserve master for like 5 seconds waiting for a thumbs up.

Ive been jumping outta a king air, so my advice for that is get as for out of the plane as possible and really feel the wind before exit. I helps calm my nerves.

Yell your exit count, because you have to really go over it in your mind to say it.

Relax as you exit and dont be concerned which direction the ground is in relation to you, just keep your neutral body position and you'll be fine. Ask your instructor about the hill; this wasnt explained to me till like jump lv5 I kept thinking I was doing something wrong.

Lose your concept of how to move on the ground, when your thinking about how to do your jumps think in terms of wind resistance.

Leave your nerves in the plane.

Ohh yeah dont ever think about not following dive flow.;)

I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

last but not least, take everything read on dz.com with a grain of salt

Wrong... take everything you read on dz.com with a whole freaking tablespoon of salt... even my posts! :)

:P better yet, let's make that a double tablespoon of salt!
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

During AFF I learned not to lose altitude awareness. Shortly after AFF I learned a few things:
1. When going for accuracy landings, the windsock isnt a very good choice of target (broke the hand on it)
2. Never attempt to fix any problem with your equipment without a rigger present (self induced mal)
3. Dont pull low
4. Stay away from barbed wire fences!
5. Target fixation under canopy is bad

Just Posted, but ive finished up, so ill post what i learned.

First of all, my primary focus in AFF was doing exactly what i was taught, how i was taught. i must have gone through every drill on the ground 100 times, i must have touched my hackie like 10000 times already, and gone through the dive plan in my head like 50 times per jump. I asked a bunch of questions, and made a mental note to remember every step of the dive.

If i was doing something that i didn't think i completed very well i would repeat if altitude permitted. (Of course after talking with my instructor about it.) This was mainly starting off with practice touches, because for some reason i didn't think i was doing them very well but after doing a few extras after completing the dive plan, i asked my instructor on the ground and he said i did great. i talked to my instructor about this on the ground) Basically i took it like it was a Class and did my best to be prepared for what i had to do. I also did a tunnel camp which helped tremendously.

That said i completed AFF in 6 jumps. Just listen to what your instructors have to say and ask questions. Watch and listen. take in all you can... and have fun :)

Ha....this is a great thread. I over think things a lot and take everything extremely literally. I'm not even going to post what took me 60 jumps to learn. Just remember to ask questions, never give up, don't turn low, and try very hard not to give your instructors more gray hair than they had at the beginning of the day :)
She did not know that she could not fly so she did.

Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape

Another great bit of advice I received from another instructor this past weekend.

My first complete solo exit was out of a 206. Ok, fine. I sat at the door, gave the count, and plopped out like a sack of potatoes, managing to close my eyes in the process. :S (don't ask.)

My 2nd solo exit was out of a 182. Here's where i was scared/nervous. "...wait, so I open the door and climb out onto the strut BY MYSELF give the count and go? Am I crazy? What if I slip & fall? (yes i did ask that question)" My instructor didn't bat an eye and said "So what if you fall? You have a parachute & then you go skydiving." A light went off above my head, and i said to myself "oh yea....that's right!" So while the nervousness is still there because I'm brand new to the sport and still learning, the fear of actually climbing out onto the strut isn't that much of a block anymore. :)

My instructor didn't bat an eye and said "So what if you fall? You have a parachute & then you go skydiving." A light went off above my head, and i said to myself "oh yea....that's right!" So while the nervousness is still there because I'm brand new to the sport and still learning, the fear of actually climbing out onto the strut isn't that much of a block anymore. :)

I always love that 'Ah-ha!' moment. For me, it happened when I was on the end of the bench in an Otter, and at 2000 feet we unbuckled and moved to sit on the floor. Next to the door. (Which was promptly opened.)

It freaked me the hell out, until I thought about it and realized the same thing your instructor told you.

And now, 200+ jumps later, I find myself more afraid of everyday heights than I used to be. I'm happy as a clam sitting in an open door at 1000', but something about standing on the observation deck of a tall building without a rig on my back just gives me the willies... :D;)
Signatures are the new black.

The thing I learned this weekend.

You know the one thing scarier than being afaid to jump or fall. Being all about it, and getting pulled back in by everyone within arms reach of you.

Plane or something on my hop n pop for "A" licence. My pack job, now we have to come back around after that :S

Talked to everyone everybody said I did just what I was supposed to, even the pilot. Still way scarier than exit.

I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

Whoever started this thread is pretty damn creative. I just completed AFF today, its officially my 5th day in the sport of skydiving and i completely my AFF and then added three more jumps to that today, 2 solo and 1 with an instructor for a dive and dock. ive learned alot from this thread that i hadn't though about before. id say the lessons ive learned so far really just have to do with not overthinking things. ive been jumping out of military aircraft on a static line at 1000 ft agl for 3 years now, and i can tell you its WAY scarier than anything you will ever do at 13k, so for me i was never really scared, more just exhilerated, i just got in my head what i needed to do, went over it once and then just zoned out for the rest of the ride up. Once the door opened up i looked my intructors in the eyes and gave them the thumbs up and went out there an had a blast with really no issues. I think the problem comes in when people sit there and go over the stuff in their head ad nauseum and end up messing something small up just because they are so wrapped around the axle. so that would be my lesson learned, quit thinking so much and just do it! also what everyone has been saying about listening to their instructors, absolutely key, ive learned so much from all the instructors at the DZ, not just the ones i go with. i think that as a new jumper it is our duty to become sponges at the Drop zone and soak up as much knowledge and adopt as safe of a mindset as possible.

BLUE SKIES!!
Lovin' life one minute at a time!

***don't be afraid to ride the plane down if you're not in the right state of mind to make a safe jump

That lesson would have sooo come in handy on my first (and only) AFF jump! I was so nervous and physically exhausted. It was the last load of the day, and I really had no business even going up in the plane. As the three of us left the aircraft, I immediately went into the fetal position, and was told later that I was on my back doing practice touches. HOLY CRAP!! Anyway, I lost one instructor (and a shoe), and the other one had to deploy my parachute for me at 7K!! He had to do this with me on my back. Yikes. I continued my training at a different dz via the static line method. It was awesome.

I always like to tell people that my AFF jump was a sign. The horrible freefall and long, sunset canopy ride were cues that CrEW was what I needed to be doing:)
Seriously, we all experience varying degrees of fear and nervousness. It's sometimes hard to know when these feelings cross over into the "ride the plane down" territory. Of course, I would rather ride the plane down and wish I was jumping, than jump and wish I was riding the plane down.:S

Good luck people....hang in there!:)

Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28