SkyPainter

Jumping in the WINTER :( ....

This is New England, and it can get COOOOLD here in the winter! Just wondering what you guys do in cold areas duting the winter months, OTHER than travel South to warmer climes?

Wear Polartech underwear? (I did last Sunday - worked great for now!) Full face helmets to prevent wind/frostbite? Flannel jumpsuits?

How do we stay current all winter up here without travelling, or is that almost mandatory? Do the DZs stay open then?

All typical Newbie questions! I will be jumping a lot this weekend, and will ask about there, too!

Blue Skies and Safe Landings Always -

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Thermal underwear. Gloves. Full face helmets with openable faceplate - important in case of fogging/freezing under canopy.

****>> Thanks! You just cemented my decision on helmets. If I am gonna be jumping here, I may as well have a four-season helmet! Besides, then I can wear my eyeglasses easier, too! :)
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Connecticut Parachutists is the only New England DZ that stays open all winter. So you have to travel south, but not THAT far. :)
I don't do anything too special for winter jumping. Normal winter clothes under my jumpsuit. Full face helmet (unless I'm using my camera helmet) and neck protection... no exposed skin at all. I add liners under my winter skydiving gloves, but I'm not convinced that doesn't just squeeze my fingers and cut down my circulation in my hands and make them colder.

A lot of people wear thermal underwear... personally the only part of me that gets cold is my hands. And it's only bad under canopy. I tend to pull lower, but thats probably not the right way to deal with it. :)
Dave

I've heard about a couple places in the Midwest that jump through the winter, but my guess is that none of them would allow student jumps then. Anyone happen to know if this is the case? I don't think that I'll be able to finish my AFF jumps before the end of the season because three times in a row that I tried to get some in, the weather didn't cooperate :(

I've heard about a couple places in the Midwest that jump through the winter, but my guess is that none of them would allow student jumps then. Anyone happen to know if this is the case? I don't think that I'll be able to finish my AFF jumps before the end of the season because three times in a row that I tried to get some in, the weather didn't cooperate :(

When does your home dz close? Skydive Chicago is open until Dec 1st ... A month longer than my home dz in Indiana.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

If you ever see anything in the news about a skydiver knocking herself out with her boobs and falling, unconscious, to her death, you'll know that I tried naked skydiving.

LOL C'mon out to northern california where we dont really have an "off" season. The weather is great and the chest straps are good and strong! blue skies
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

If you ever see anything in the news about a skydiver knocking herself out with her boobs and falling, unconscious, to her death, you'll know that I tried naked skydiving.

LOL C'mon out to northern california where we dont really have an "off" season. The weather is great and the chest straps are good and strong! blue skies

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had taken up skydiving while living in Hawaii. Now I just want to go back!

I've heard about a couple places in the Midwest that jump through the winter, but my guess is that none of them would allow student jumps then. Anyone happen to know if this is the case?

Sky Knights in East Troy, Wisconsin does student jumps throughout the winter. There is a minimum temperature for students, but I forget what it is right now.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

From what I hear East troy sky kinghts are open all year.

True

They even an individual that jumps naked once a month no matter what the weather.

Not exactly true.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

That post is worthless without a picture to put things in perspective.:)

Dammit .. LOL .. Now why did you have to go and do that? For once, I was trying keep my mind on the straight and narrow by neglecting to respond to one of her posts in which the door is left wide open :)
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

This is New England, and it can get COOOOLD here in the winter! Just wondering what you guys do in cold areas duting the winter months, OTHER than travel South to warmer climes?

Wear Polartech underwear? (I did last Sunday - worked great for now!) Full face helmets to prevent wind/frostbite? Flannel jumpsuits?

How do we stay current all winter up here without travelling, or is that almost mandatory? Do the DZs stay open then?

All typical Newbie questions! I will be jumping a lot this weekend, and will ask about there, too!

Blue Skies and Safe Landings Always -

SkyPainter

Hey,
Where do you jump out of? I jump out of CPI...well, I jump whenever I can make it out. I'm sure that Pilotdave will chime in and make some joke about me and my excuses of why i CAN'T make it out every weekend...:P

What level of AFF are you on?

That post is worthless without a picture to put things in perspective.:)

Dammit .. LOL .. Now why did you have to go and do that? For once, I was trying keep my mind on the straight and narrow by neglecting to respond to one of her posts in which the door is left wide open :)

Why?

I freakin love jumping in the winter. Though the bad part is when your canopy opens and you're hanging there thinking "GODDDDDDDDD THAT HURTS". Actually it's not that bad under canopy but when you land the pain really hits you. Everytime I've jumped in the dead of winter my hands hurt like a SOB when I landed from the cold.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Wont EVER forget the 1st time that I jumped w/out gloves in the winter.. that of course what the LAST time that I jumped in the winter w/out gloves! Can you say "never again!?!?!" go go gadget wind proof..B|

If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.