justintime1983

How, and what is it about skydiving

In another thread I just read a preaty cool "How skydiving changed my life post." It would also seam that parachutist magazine also has article space for this.

I can see how it puts alot of things in perspective.

Who else has stories and can anyone explain what causes this phenomenon.

I would post but I just started and cant really make anysense of it.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

you cheat death every time you exit, aka you ring the grim reaper's door bell and run away. the average person doesnt do that every weekend.. just a thought...

Do you REALLY think about it that way? It sort of bugs me when people describe why they skydive in those terms. Simply because I skydive doesn't make me better than the average person. 99% of skydivers aren't even on the cutting edge of human experience anyway. It's not like you're doing anything amazing in the big picture of things.

It's fun. I've made a lot of new friends. That's really all there is to it.

Not that I can disagree with your opinion (whether I had a valid reason or not,) but why do you jump?

So far perspective on other things in relation is the best response I have.

Odds are that post was preaty much a joke anyway, seamed preaty light-hearted to me.
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

My observation is that the thrill-seeker types come and go. They constitute the portion of jumpers that contribute to the half-life-of-a-skydiver-is-about-6-years phenomenon. Those that stick with it seem to enjoy the surrealness of the whole thing. It's like living in a surreal dreamscape 1 minute at a time.

It's a different kind of high than the big rush; though that part is good too.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

My observation is that the thrill-seeker types come and go. They constitute the portion of jumpers that contribute to the half-life-of-a-skydiver-is-about-6-years phenomenon. Those that stick with it seem to enjoy the surrealness of the whole thing. It's like living in a surreal dreamscape 1 minute at a time.

It's a different kind of high than the big rush; though that part is good too.

-------------------------------------------------------

I follow you there. The people that do it for the 'thrill' don't stick around too long.

Over the years, I've had years where I can jump regularly and some where I can't. Right now, I've been living overseas for 6.5 years in a country where skydiving is limited to one DZ in the country. I'm too far away to make it worth while.

Could I jump? Of course! After 26 or so years, jumping is part of my self-image, my special place in my head where I am free from all responsibilities. When I need to jump but can't, I just close my eyes and remember! When people around me are stressing out over shit, I'm always the most relaxed person in the room. Daily life ain't got shit for 'real' stress to me. I've got 10 malfunctions and only 9 reserve rides. ;)

You are manipulating the elemental forces of the universe for your amusement. You are seeing sights and experiencing feelings that the vast majority of those walking the earth will never have. And you are doing it all with some of the most talented and high-spirited people in the world.

What's not to like.;)

Kevin K.

+1 on the unique and surreal experience thing.

The other thing I would add is that I genuinely enjoy the feeling of flying my body, manipulating the wind, on a challenging jump that goes well. Sadly, that happens very rarelyB| since I'm not particularly good at it. It happens often enough to keep me wanting more though. It's not just the challenge, I do other challenging things, but it's the feeling of flight that overcoming the challenge gives you.

Of course, I am not yet any kind of established skydiver. I think I will be but it's hard on a very tight budget.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

Hi Just,
Blame "Fashion Frocks" the company that built all those B-4 rigs for the U.S. Govt. back in the early 50's for the Korean war eara and they didn't get used so they got "Surplused" in the early 60's for pennies on the dollar so that Grass Roots Skydiving Clubs had a "Cheap" source of equipment!! Hence the comment "Cheap-Po" rig as compared to the Cadillac "Pioneer Lo-Po" rig of the day!!
All that have posted here have some good thoughts on the subject, I concur. As Cocheese said about man's dream of human flight seems to be as close as anyone can get!! Here's to the first "Birdman" suit with "Wheels!!!!' on it!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out