bloody_trauma

Packing

I can't answer your poll because you didn't give the option for multiple answers. It depends on how lazy I'm feeling, how hot it is, how flush I'm feeling with cash, whether there's packers around that I trust. I probably pack for myself around 50% of the time on average.

However, I started packing for myself regularly as soon as I got my own gear. I learned to pack on student gear and jumped most of those pack jobs (except the first couple of really ugly ones). I had my own gear before I had my A license, and fortunately had a packer around who refused to take my money till I learned to pack and pack well (thanks karenmeal!). I actually packed more early in my skydiving career than I do now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

now aside from when you have to pay a packer for time constraints what do you do?

but i was just curious...
around what jump number you started packing (and jumping) your own rig, if at all.

You missed one more answer.
I pack for others sometimes. I packed tandems for some time.

Neither. That's what I have a boyfriend for. :P Although he usually makes me close the container for myself.

I started packing for myself and others the day I got my first rig, which was the day after I got off student status. I quit packing and started using packers in 1996.

When I started in '99 you didn't get of AFF status unless you could pack for yourself. I would say I jumped my first packjob around jump #10 or 11. Jump #12 was a hop&pop on my own rig and #13 was an 8way with all experienced jumpers.

I started using packers when I started shooting video around 230 jumps.

Hi bt,
I Pack!!! Since my 2nd or 3rd jump. I've jumped rigs that others have packed but I've never "paid" anyone else to pack my parachute!

BTW, I've done reserves (FAA Rigger), packed student rigs for the DZ, worked as an aerospace parachute rigger (ejection seats to recovery systems) but I don't and have not packed mains for $$ on the DZ.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

basically as soon as i started training!!! we have crap weather over here so when i was a student i used the rainy days as an opportunity- now i cna have a canopy in the bag in under 5mins ;)
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

For god sakes pack your own rig!!!! What happens when you're just jonesin to jump, go out on a Tuesday and can only jump once because no one else you know is there to pack for you? What happens when you go to a different dz and can only jump once because you don't know/trust any packers there? I don't know what others are paying for pack jobs but here it's $6 a pack. After 4 jumps you've already wasted enough money that could have bought you a jump ticket. I understand if you're crammed for time or flying video for teams or on a team that's doing back to back loads or something. But there's no reason someone shouldn't be able to pack in 15 or 20 min. At most dzs that's still fast enough to do every other load. And I totally get how much it sucks to be cursing that chute all the way into the bag and still be on the ground when all you wanna be is in the air. Bring your rig home with you and pack it once a night at home. You think i'm nuts but it works. And it gives you a way to think about jumping on that Wednesday when the weekend is oh so far away still. I've packed my own rig since jump 20ish or so. My first pack job was also my first hop n pop. I wouldn't recommend that...too much to worry about on jump 16! I was doubting that thing was gunna open all the until it did...just fine. My logic is that if something goes wrong and I have a big ball of shit over my head instead of an open canopy I'd much rather be cursing myself and saying 'wow...really shouldn't have done that' instead of cursing some packer and saying 'I can't believe that idiot did this to me!' And I know it's not always the pack job that gives you mals but jumpers will always say it is and packers will always say it's body position ;)

Sorry for the lecture, but seriously...just pack.
She did not know that she could not fly so she did.

Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape

From jump #2 (Static line rounds RAF sports course... noone's going to do it for you!!).

These days I pack for myself unless I'm on holiday when I put some money and drinks into the local economy.

I've just got a brand new canopy and that is going to be fun for a while, I'm sure....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Being a packer I not only pack for myself but a bunch of other people. We are a somewhat busy DZ with only a few instructors. So if there is a load that an instructor actually isn't on they need to use the time to work with the students, not pack, so I usually end up packing for them. Also, our tandem instructors are on almost every load so us packers pack all the tandems as well.

The only time that I haven't packed for myself since learning around jump 15 was at Skyfest this year. Mostly because I pack everyday and Skyfest was my vacation. :P

After 4 jumps you've already wasted enough money that could have bought you a jump ticket. I understand if you're crammed for time or flying video for teams or on a team that's doing back to back loads or something. But there's no reason someone shouldn't be able to pack in 15 or 20 min.

Some of us don't consider that money to be wasted. I'd much rather spend that 15-20 minutes doing things other than sweating over nylon; it's well worth $6 to not have to do it. But then again, my pack job numbers still exceed my jump numbers so...

And there are good reasons for someone to not pack - some jumpers have physical issues that can make packing downright painful.

Always pack my own. sometimes pack for my friends or help people out. NEVER got paid for packing mains.

In my opinion being a licensed skydiver, but not knowing how to pack is like being a licensed driver, but not knowing how to fill the vehicle up.

I do agree that some may have physical issues preventing, or making it uncomfortable for them to pack (like a friend of mine with a fucked up back).

In my opinion being a licensed skydiver, but not knowing how to pack is like being a licensed driver, but not knowing how to fill the vehicle up.

I think it's funny you say that. I have a friend who's boyfriend doesn't know how to put gas in his car. From what I was told he grew up in New Jersey where it's illegal to put gas in your own car (correct if I'm wrong that's what I was told as the reason). :S:S So when they drive anywhere outside of the state she has to put the gas in the car. [:/]

I’ve owned my own rig and could pack well from jump #20, but I fully agree with the prior post – packing is not fun (it is shit and I have no problem with paying). What’s so damn enjoyable or noteworthy about rolling around on the floor with your rig for 15mins after each jump? Do 8 jumps and that’s 2 hours pissed away. I only pack when the UK (because we don’t have dedicated packers at any dropzone I’ve ever frequented). When I travel, I have never packed my own rig. This UK practice just helps take business away from our home dropzones. Example: today was a beautiful warm blue sky day in the UK and I would have loved to go jump, but I thought why bother? I’ll just wait for my trip to Spain next week and get in some “enjoyable” jumping. Our home dropzones don’t get it; some of the skydiving community actually does have a little money and wants to have fun. If we don’t get it here, we’ll go aboard. I’ve met about 30-40 UK-based skydivers who have never jumped in the UK ??? (they think what’s the point?). For those outside the UK - support your packers it just may help some kid get into the sport and enjoy it the same as we do.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I think it's funny you say that. I have a friend who's boyfriend doesn't know how to put gas in his car. From what I was told he grew up in New Jersey where it's illegal to put gas in your own car (correct if I'm wrong that's what I was told as the reason). :S:S So when they drive anywhere outside of the state she has to put the gas in the car. [:/]

Not to highjack the thread but it would take someone 2 min. to learn to pump gas. He is lazy.

What’s so damn enjoyable or noteworthy about rolling around on the floor with your rig for 15mins after each jump?

Enjoyable? Not much, I guess. Noteworthy? Well, at the very least, the detailed hands-on and eyes-on keeps you on top of the current condition of your gear.

Well I know I will be totally flamed for this.... but I really don't care...

After 5 years in the sport, I just packed my first rig yesterday. :o

I was told during AFF, that I was cute and would never need to pack, at which time the rigger signed off on the packing part of my A card. At the time, I didn't know any better and thought it was cute.

I am so glad that I know how, and becuase of the awesome rigger I had showing me, it was very easy, and felt like a huge accomplishment. However, I will continue to pay a packer for the simple reason that for most of them, that is thier job and I don't mind helping out my fellow skydivers (when I do get to jump):P.

around what jump number you started packing (and jumping) your own rig, if at all.

From my very first jump and almost every jump there after. Learning to pack was a requirement before jumping at the club where I learned.

To me, packing one's own parachute has existential meaning. Since I also am a rigger and pack my own reserve it becomes doubly so.

I know it's very old school to think this way in our society of pass the buck and blame others for one's difficulties but "packing your own parachute" is what skydiving...and life... is all about.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I’ve owned my own rig and could pack well from jump #20, but I fully agree with the prior post – packing is not fun (it is shit and I have no problem with paying). What’s so damn enjoyable or noteworthy about rolling around on the floor with your rig for 15mins after each jump? Do 8 jumps and that’s 2 hours pissed away. I only pack when the UK (because we don’t have dedicated packers at any dropzone I’ve ever frequented). When I travel, I have never packed my own rig. This UK practice just helps take business away from our home dropzones. Example: today was a beautiful warm blue sky day in the UK and I would have loved to go jump, but I thought why bother? I’ll just wait for my trip to Spain next week and get in some “enjoyable” jumping. Our home dropzones don’t get it; some of the skydiving community actually does have a little money and wants to have fun. If we don’t get it here, we’ll go aboard. I’ve met about 30-40 UK-based skydivers who have never jumped in the UK ??? (they think what’s the point?). For those outside the UK - support your packers it just may help some kid get into the sport and enjoy it the same as we do.

I think you are missing the point. While one may have extra $$$ and choose to spend it for such noble reasons as supporting their packer (I honestly doubt that's the reason for most people to pay a packer) - many others are simply too lazy to LEARN to pack.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with packers. But what's terrible is that some people choose to be so lazy and naive as to not even know how their life saving devices work.

I personally will NEVER pack for someone who is lazy, but will gladly HELP them for as long as I can.