grannyinthesky

Project/activity ideas

I am working on a project that will combine an intermediate level algebra class with a physics concepts class (minimal math content). I am looking for ideas for activities or projects based on skydiving that we can use for both areas. Any ideas out there?
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

You could build 'badmitten' (spelling?) birdies of different size/ weight combinations and measure the amount of time it takes for them to hit the ground from a given height.

Increased drag/weight combinations could be interesting (I'm sure you could manage to build a heavy one that falls slower than a lighter one).

Having students build rigs to safely drop an egg from a given height w/o breaking it is always a good time but messy!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Great ideas. I'm also looking for ideas that we can use on a field trip we are doing during the quarter. It's a combination field trip for physics, geoplogy and astronomy. We'll be out for most of a week camping at various locations in eastern Oregon. I'm tring to find a reason to do a skydive or two at a dropzone near where we will be part of the time. I'm thinking of students possible observing a landing or two and estimating height versus time. I could then have them graph the data and do some modeling and see if their model fits the actual landing time. Hopefully by this summer I will have managed to get my license, a rig and land with some dignity once in a while.

POPS #10490

Hi Granny,

There are no dzs in eastern Oregon but there is one in central Oregon: Central Oregon SkySports (or something like that) located on the airport in Madras, Oregon. It is ran by Bob Daughs; and mention my name when you get there. He is old friend of well over 30 yrs; and a helluva nice guy.

JerryBaumchen

That's the one I was thinking of. Working in Ontario in eastern Oregon, we tend to divide the state by where I-5 runs and don't particularly think about central. We will be spending a few days in the Bend area before heading to Crater Lake. Hmmmm, I wonder if I can get Administration to reimburse me for the jumping costs.....it would be part of the trip!!

POPS #10490

> Hmmmm, I wonder if I can get Administration to reimburse me
> for the jumping costs.....

:-) :-)

Just in case anybody was wondering whether grannyinthesky
is a **Real Skydiver**(TM).

> I am looking for ideas for activities or projects based on skydiving
> that we can use for both areas.

How about calculating how far people drift in freefall
for various layers of upper winds.

Pilots can get the upper wind reports at 3,000 ft intervals,
so you can calculate how far people would drift in each
interval and add them up.

Also for your own education as a jumper John Kallend,
who posts on here, wrote a program that graphs freefall
trajectories for various uppers and various fall rates.

His model is more accurate than the simple 3,000 ft
interval approximation above, and it's worth trying
some combinations and mulling what that tells you
when you're standing in the door about to jump out,
like, for one thing, how do you know how far up wind
to go before you go?

Skr

The first two might be more like an advanced level, but you know your kids best. ;)

"Human Cannonball": For a given trajectory and initial speed, calculate the altitude at which a "human cannonball" has the lowest airspeed. Then, calculate that airspeed.

"Two Trains from Denver": Two "dummies" of equal size but different weight are dropped at the same time from a balloon at a given altitude (10K?) on a no-wind day. They maintain equal body orientation during freefall. After how many seconds will the first reach 2,500' and at what airspeed? How many seconds later will the second one reach 2,500' and at what airspeed?

This one is a little more basic.

"Mr. Bill": Calculate the wing-loading for one jumper under a canopy in pounds per square feet. Add another jumper to the first and calculate the wing-loading for two jumpers suspended below one canopy. Extension: Convert results to Kilograms per square meter.

And a good middle of the road problem (basic vector calculations).

"Mister Crabby": Holding a fixed orientation and airspeed under canopy, plot the ground-path for a given fixed windspeed and direction. Calculate the groundspeed.

Have fun.

- David

SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Also for your own education as a jumper John Kallend,
who posts on here, wrote a program that graphs freefall
trajectories for various uppers and various fall rates.

His model is more accurate than the simple 3,000 ft
interval approximation above, and it's worth trying
some combinations and mulling what that tells you
when you're standing in the door about to jump out,
like, for one thing, how do you know how far up wind
to go before you go?

Thanks for the idea, for me and for the class. I have started incorporating word problems of the "with the wind-against the wind" type setting. I used to avoid those problems because they didn't mean much to me. Boy, has my viewpoint about them changed. :)

POPS #10490

Nice ideas. I will be working with a physics instructor so between the two of us, I bet we can get some of these to work. And if not in that class, I teach all levels through calculus.....I'm sure they will find a home. Thanks,

POPS #10490

I am working on a project that will combine an intermediate level algebra class with a physics concepts class (minimal math content). I am looking for ideas for activities or projects based on skydiving that we can use for both areas. Any ideas out there?

Definitely, we created this for students who ask. Although it is a bit elementary, it satisfies the requirement for not much math.

http://www.pcprg.com/student.htm

I just recently found some good sites for basic math/physics explanations/demonstrations/problems that deal with skydiving.

http://www.explorelearning.com/index.cfm?method=cResource.dspDetail&ResourceID=25
http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys135d/modules/m5/Friction.htm
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/mmedia/newtlaws/sd.html
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/newtlaws/u2l3e.html
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)