npgraphicdesign

Difference between AFF programs?

While doing some research, I found that DZs have one or the other:

1. AFF A, B, C..etc.
2. AFF 1, 2, 3..etc.

What's the difference between the two methods? I see that there are similarities and differences in both. As I understand, #1 is the newer approach, and #2 is more out of date? Or am I wrong...

For example, if you start at one DZ that utilizes #1, then you have to move to another location, and the DZ there utilizes #2. How difficult would the transition be from one AFF method to the other method?

There are some differences in Drop zones programs. The A,b,c system is out of the SIMS (Skydivers Information Manual) The levels are the same for the most part as far as the goals in the skydive. The different systems are depending on what progression you want to do. Most DZ's have you do Tandems first (Not all) You can do AFF or AFP The difference is whether you have one instructor or two on the first couple levels. You should have no problem going to two different DZ's during your levels. I hope that helped. I am sure there are some other people on here that could give some more input about this subject
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Numbers are the older version of AFF, while letters imply this century's version of AFF.
Modern instructors should be teaching from the latest version of the Skydivers' Information Manual.

As for differences between schools ... some are driven by terrain and some are driven by weather, while others are driven by airplane type.
For example, altitude may be limited by type of airplane or starting altitude.
For example, a school operating fast-climbing airplanes - that consistently allow 70 second freefalls - may be able to consistently accomplish all he objectives of Level C in one skydive, but asking a student to do the same number of objectives in 30 seconds, from a slower-climbing Cessna is an exercise in frustration.
Ergo, wiser Cessna (slower-climbing airplanes) schools spread Level C learning objectives over two or three jumps.
Also remember that different students learn at different rates. So don't waste too much time worrying about minor differences (e.g. number of levels) between schools.
Instead, visit two or three schools. Chat with instructors and learn with the instructors you relate best to.