Boeris

CSPA to USPA

Hey there guys and gals,
I got my 'A' license up in Canada while on a work assignment. Now I am back in the US and am getting ready to test for my 'B'. I was told that I can take the USPA 'B' license test with my CSPA 'A' license. I believe the fella who told me is a reliable source, but I read in the SIM that the B license requires a USPA 'A' license. Can anyone shed some light on the whole converting license for me?

Much appreciated!!!
-Justin
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

I was about to say, glibly, that you only need to meet the requirements for a USPA 'A' -- until I read the SIM.
It does indeed say:
"and must have-
a. obtained a USPA A license"
This is odd, because for the 'C' and 'D' the SIM says:
"a. met all current requirements for or hold a USPA B license"
and
"a. met all current requirements for or hold a USPA C license"

Is this a mistake in the SIM?

HW

Which doesn't have to be an assigned number, just that you have a proficiency card filled out and stamped. I don't know if a DZ could simply sign off and stamp a card for someone who holds a license from the good folks up north.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

hmmm...well, it would be cool if someone did that for me, but it would be even cooler if they didn't have to and I could just test for my 'B'.
There's gotta be someone from the USPA on here that could interpret the SIM ruling...
I am definitely ready for my B license (53 jumps in 3 months)...just need to study the SIM a bit.
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

To meet the requirements of a USPA Class "A" License you will need to have the USPA "A" License Proficiency Card OR the USPA "A" License Progression card completed. You may use either one.

Once the USPA "A" License Proficiency Card OR the USPA "A" License Progression Card is completed and you join USPA, you will in fact have a USPA "A" License. If you wish an "A" License Card with number you will need to send the card to USPA along with the fee. However, to receive your "B" License you need only to have the "A" card completed and presented to the official that is signing your "B" License application.

You may download the forms here: http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/LicensesampRatings/Licenses/tabid/87/Default.aspx

Hope that clears it up.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

Hey Phil! How's it going? I sure miss the Eden North DZ man...You guys still jumping? The Edmonton office wants me back, but I don't think I can handle the frigid weather through the winter. Especially if I can't jump on my free time. Tell Lyle, Aidan, Olga and everyone else I say hi! It's possible I may see you come next spring.
Yeah, it's been raining...but we're suppose to be in the clear for the next week +.
Hope to see ya in AZ!
www.theflystyle.com

I just printed all the forms, Thanks Mike!

Edit: Unless I'm reading this wrong, both the Proficiency Card & Progression Card require completion of the A license exam. If all I am trying to do is get my B license with the USPA, am I going to have to take the exam for the A and B???
www.theflystyle.com

As I said before, you must complete all the requirements for the "A" License before receiving a"B" License. So, yes, you must take the "A" License exam ( it can be written or oral at the discretion of the administering official) before you can complete the "A" License Proficiency or Progression Card, which must be completed before you can receive a "B" License.

It works the same way for each license: You can skip any license but you must complete all the requirements for the lower license before you may receive a higher license.

BTW, whoever administers your license can go through your logbook and pick out the requirements that you have already fulfilled. You need not repeat tasks that you have completed as long as they are documented.

Mike

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section3/tabid/165/Default.aspx#654

SIM Section 3-1.D.5:

Federation Aeonautique Internationale (foreign non-USPA) to USPA license conversions

a. Jumpers who hold an FAI equivalent license may apply for USPA equivalent license without completion of the USPA A License Proficiency Card or A License Progression Card.

(1) A USPA rated instructor must verify the FAI license of the applicant.

(2) A copy of the license must be included with the USPA license application.

(3) All other license requirements for USPA B, C and D licenses must still be verified and initialed by a USPA Instructor.

b. The USPA license application and a copy of the FAI license must be submitted to USPA Headquarters for processing.

I recently went from CSPA A to USPA C by fulfilling the requirements of USPA B and C.