CarloC

Sending Gear to Australia. customs??

Hello, i did a search here and on the web and did not found anything.

I wonder if anyone here ever sent a gear to Australia and can give me a idea how customs works over there.

Can i declare full price since insurance is a must? If the guy im selling has to pay taxes, how much porcentage would it be?

In this case is a US$ 1000 canopy.

Later

Hello, i did a search here and on the web and did not found anything.

I wonder if anyone here ever sent a gear to Australia and can give me a idea how customs works over there.

Can i declare full price since insurance is a must? If the guy im selling has to pay taxes, how much porcentage would it be?

In this case is a US$ 1000 canopy.

Not without your buyer paying over $150 in taxes (I sold some electronics to an Australian, and made three shipments a week apart to work around the rules). Imports worth less than $1000 AUD are tax/duty free but that's only $700 US.

If the value is more than that, there's a 5% customs duty on the value plus 10% GST on the summed value, shipping, and duty.

The same USPS forms which have the insured value and shipping costs go to customs. Other shipping methods are hundreds of dollars more or take weeks to get there.

Google "Australian customs broker"
These guys do that for a living.

customs brokers are a waste of $$$ for small boxed personal sales.

$1000 AUD is correct.

the easiest thing to do is just that - declare a value equal to less than $1000 AUD and it should be clear sailing.

trust me, I have sent some gear to Oz as well.

if i were unscrupulous and trying to evade import tarifs (which if course i would never ever do) i would say repair or returning item.. that way there hasn't been a transaction for the full amount of the item, and shouldn't incur taxes, even if it IS over $1000. But if you can fall under the limit and not be at huge risk by underinsuring, that's probably a good idea, too. or would be, if i would do such a thing.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I have done it a few times buddy. put the value down as $500 and it will go straight through. it is a major pain in the butt if u write down $1000. it will take 2 weeks longer to get to you and you will have to fill in 5 pages of forms. also just insure it for the $500.

Yeah, i will declare as $ 950 AUD. Do you think is better if i declare as a gift or as repair?

Thanks for the replys guys

Blue ones!

It also depnds on the goods parachutes dont have duty attached to them but GST is still payable.
Ask the buyer what they want you to do. it is after all them that will be charged should it be found they are trying to rought the system
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sorry if it sounded like i was trying to beat the system.

15% is pretty fair in my opinion.

I asked that because here in Brazil, anything that gets to customs has almost 70% taxation if is above US$ 50,00

If i declare a canopy as US$ 1000 i will have to pay US$ 700,00 in taxes alone if the customs here get it, i dont think is fair :S

Blue ones guys!!!

put some coffe grinds on it + mark it contraband and then police will hand deliver :-)

I've got three canopies from the states, never had any problems with a sub $1000 'value for customs purposes only'. Don't try and be smart and put down loan or repair or some such or buyer could end up with a world of red-tape.

Last time I checked, duty was equal to GST (10%) plus extra fee's and charges (circa 20%). The customs site has PDFs that explain it. In any case I reckon that's the buyers problem.

Might I suggest using a delivery services with a tracking option. That way you can find it before the reading the fine print on the policy to find out there is a six month wait before you can make a claim.
Blue Dreams Benno