speuci

Cold Weather Skydiving

I just moved to Northern Virginia (temporarily), from beautiful Northern California. The first thing I noticed was how cold it is!

I have my rig with me, and want to jump this weekend. I don't have a jumpsuit yet, but what should I wear/buy, and what surprises am I in for?

Thanks!

Definitely buy a pair of skydiving gloves!

Sometimes, when it's extremely cold at altitude, the gloves themselves aren't enough, so you'll also want to wear a pair of latex gloves underneath.

I'd also wear the basic warm layers. No cotton as a base layer! A jump suit should be a good windbreaker, and underneath it I'd wear a couple warm layers, but not restricting.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

If you are jumping this weekend Sunday seems like the better day. Go to West Point, they are having their Halloween Boogie this weekend. I would suggest Suffolk but it is a bit of a drive from Northern VA. Have fun and stay warm.

So they say.........Sunday is calling for 68, sunny, and 10 mph winds

I jump in the winter in Alabama with two pair of long johns, two pair of socks, full face helmet and leather gloves with thinsulate. If it is below fourty degrees on the ground, stay inside and drink hot chocolate. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Wind shirt
Wind pants
Neck gaitor
Full face helmet
Winter gloves (latex gloves make me sweat)
Long johns ( underarmour)

It shouldn't be too bad this weekend in your locale.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Okay, northern virginia isn't cold. Northern Michigan is cold.
:P

Ya wimp!;)

But for extreme cold I've found thin scuba neoprene gloves with thin poly liners to wick the sweat are very good. For normal cold. Winter Neuman receiver gloves are fine.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Look into the wind layers that cyclists use...no wind gets through those and they are incredibly thin...and expensive...but I find that a t-shirt, the cycling jacket, and a hoodie over top works well for me.

Tho its the cold hands that keep me on the ground when its 12F at altitude ;)

Northern Virginia cold?
Hah!

Try minus something-ridiculous in Canada!

Start by dressing in multiple light layers. I have been known to wear four paris of pants when skydiving in sub-freezing temperatures: under shorts, light long johns, track pants, fleece pants with pants with a wind-proof jumpsuit over top. It is important that the jump suit is a loose enough fit that you retain full range of movement and full circulation.

Speaking of wind-proof; booties and full-face helmets help on cold days.
It is also important to full cover necks, ankles and wrists to ensure that warm blood can flow to extremities.
Fleece neck warmers are worth their weight in gold.

Fleece neck warmers are worth their weight in gold.

Seconded. I have winter jumped in Canada. Once I was freefalling in freezing temperatures from 7000 feet, and doing snow landings. Fun. I had four layers of clothing, all good, except for my hands keeping them warm which is always a challenge, since ski gloves don't have much traction on hackey's, and I tend to prefer the latex glove+RW glove combo. It's important to keep them warm on the flight up, so that there's a good store of bodyheat in the hands before exiting!

I typically only do two skydives during these winter jump days. Sometimes it's just hop'n'pop. Watch the ground perception of snow, however -- and remember to know whether you're landing on hard snow versus soft snow.

If you are jumping this weekend Sunday seems like the better day. Go to West Point, they are having their Halloween Boogie this weekend. I would suggest Suffolk but it is a bit of a drive from Northern VA. Have fun and stay warm.

So they say.........Sunday is calling for 68, sunny, and 10 mph winds

If you go to West Point, enjoy yourself, but if you haven't been to Skydive Orange, it's closer to NoVa, so be sure to check it out next time.

Wear gloves, not shorts - couple layers of shirts - full face helmet if you're so inclined, otherwise it's gonna be ok... it is Virginia. And after all, when you get down, you can always warm up in the heated hangar or take a dip in the hot tub.

Ok... no heated hangar or hot tub, but there is the firepit!
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Be careful with the full face helmet if you're not used to one (and even if you are)...I've had one actually freeze up on me while I was in freefall. I couldn't see anything! I wasn't used to wearing one, and just borrowed one because it was so cold and I think I was just breathing through my nose....:S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Snow is goooood!

Random thoughts:

Ditto. Good for playing in, or even biffing in. Good for practicing superman landings (photo of a friend attached). Know whether there's a crust on the snow that will trip you up. Sliding in may be better than trying to run it out if the snow is deep. If depth perception is tough over unbroken snow, land in areas that have been disturbed already. A dragging pilot chute can sieve snow and end up with a snowball inside. A wet parachute at the end of the day is just an excuse to trunk pack.

If you wear gloves heavier than skydiving gloves make sure you can take them off in freefall if you need to. It is actually a simple process; take the glove off, open the parachute, put the glove back on.

I've heard that's a bad plan. I feel you shouldn't jump with any gloves with which you can't operate your parachute.

With that said, I've often jumped in downhill ski gloves with no problems. Just make sure you practice grabbing all your handles with thick gloves on.