npgraphicdesign

Why do some people choose not to go the next step with their license?

In terms of getting the next level license? I've met people in person (as well as seen the people on this board) that only have an A or B, and have more than enough jumps to be eligible for the next level license. What advantages does one have with a B instead of an A license, or a C instead of a B, etc? Just wondering.

I can only speak for myself. Laziness?
I had almost 1000 jumps before I got my B and C license. I was able to do all the things I wanted to do with just an A license at the time. I then wanted to compete at Nationals and needed at least a C license, so that is all I have right now. I don't have any instructional ratings, because I don't want to work when I go to the dropzone, so I don't really need a D license. I am thinking of getting my D just to have it. Who knows I may change my mind one day and get the instructional ratings.

I don't want to teach, do tandems or compete.... unlike my paragliding , where I did want to fly tandem so needed the PILOT rating.

If jumps or insurance were cheaper then I'd apply for the next license, otherwise, why bother?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't know why people do that. I knew a guy once with about a thousand jumps and all he had was an A. :S

I jump with a guy like that. You can do a lot with an A if you never want to do demos, compete at nationals, night jumps, land at the closer in tighter more demanding landing area at some boogies..... attend some other cool event or boogies that require a higher rating. This gentleman saved himself the time for the test and whatever the costs are.

AND he has jumped balloons plenty, done open demos and has gone to boogies that required the higher rating by simply showing the event coordinator- organizer his log book and received a waiver.

...I then wanted to compete at Nationals and needed at least a C license, ...

My understanding is that a D license is needed to compete in the Nationals.

Advantages of having a B license for me:

- 90 day recurrency cycle. I hope I don't need the extra time, but I live a busy life and much of my schedule is not my own to control.

- Night jumps. Damn, those are fun.B|B|B|

- No hassles if I want to do specialty aircraft jumps at most boogies.

I intend to get my "C" license as soon as I defeat my personal "2 meter accuracy" monster. :|:|:|

Quoting the SIM, the advantages of having a "C" license are: eligible for the
USPA Instructor rating (except USPA Tandem
Instructor), participate in certain demonstration
jumps, may ride as passenger on USPA Tandem
Instructor training and rating renewal jumps

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It really depends on what you want to do when you are jumping....and if you want to do demo's, be an instructor ect. ect. ect.

I just got my C. don't know that I will get my D; it will be dependant on what I think about doing night jumps. I have a long time to work on it so I am not too worried about it right now. I just want to be able to get in the air and enjoy every minute of it.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I'm just lazy too.... Too much paperwork and briefings for my liking. I thought jumping was meant to be fun!!!

Still, I've only got 23 jumps left to go until I can jump camera here, and then I reckon I'll be shifting myself for my B so I can get my C pretty sharpish.....

Laziness. I've even written the tests for the B and C licenses and am just too lazy to send it off. You very rarely actually need one, a lot of things in the SIM say "B-license qualified." I'll probably send in for my C over the winter.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

Because Im not going to pay $20 (or whatever the hell it is) for a card with a number on it untill I get D certified. Believe it or not my DZO actually recommended that. Why pay $20 4 times when you could wait and just pay $20 once?

Oh and those pieces of paper with stamps and or signatures on them count as licenses everywhere Ive gone.
Muff #5048

In terms of getting the next level license?

It was $$$ in my case, never did get an A or B and until the PRO Rating came out didn't need the D license...I qualified for and took the "D" test 6-7 years before sending in for it...hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

An 'A' license is plenty if all you want to do is jump, I would probably still only have an A if I hadnt gone to a north california dz about 10 years ago and been told that I had to land in the student field no matter what my jump numbers were... I tested for my D that week.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

To the OP: The bottom line is most dropzones if you get to know people will turn a blind eye as long as you have decent jump numbers and good head on your shoulders (assuming you want to do something that requires a higher license).

Even more dropzones will let you do someting if you are simply license-qualified...so not necessarily having the license letter but having water training, jump numbers, 2 night jumps, etc (depending on the rating you're going for).

hey i resemble that remark. shit if dave verner hadn't made me get my a back in like 90 91? i would still be " c qualified" since 1982. had to be " qualified to be on the demo team at campbell back then.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

don't know about that but. i remember dave saying damn it keith i ain't gonna let you jump here anymore if you don't get a fucking lic. so i'm like hell gimme that d test. and i flunked that bitch. so i'm like O.K. .....how about you gimme that A test( grin )
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Advantages for Dutch jumpers:

A - you need an Instructor on site, but you do not need to find a JM for every jump. While for freefalling students anyone with a B or higher can be JM, it saves you some hassle.

B - No more medical examination needed; eligible for camera flying provided one has at least 250(?) relative jumps or (for filming under canopy only) 10 CReW jumps. Also, you can JM it over lowly students, meaning that on any jump you could have a sort of living streamer with you which is useful to check your spot.

C - No instructor on site needed, no more hanging harness examinations etc. Congrats, you're a truly self sufficient skydiver now and apparently you have enough brains to pass the infamously difficult theoretical examination as well.

The D-licence however is a seperate story.
Provided you have a valid C-licence, all you need is 500 jumps to qualify. While the D is still necessary if one wants to become among other things a full instructor or TM, IMO the additional requirements for those ratings kinda make the licence obsolete (ie 5 hrs of freefall and 1K jumps for tandem).

edited for clarity
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Never had a B, never had call for it. Still don't have the D. I'll probably apply for the D when I hit 1000 jumps; then stop logging altogether.

A printout from manifest at the end of the season is good enough.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

HA. I have one friend with a few thousand jumps with no license. He's not as active anymore but in the 80's before most of the rule changes he's done everything from night stadium jumps and competion crew. Everyone knows him and no one cared.

As for night jumps the exact wording in the SIM "skydivers participating in night jumping should meet all the requirements for a UPSA B or higher"

I know of a few DZ's that go ahead and make you get the B license for night jumps, but as USPA is concerned as long as you can meet the skill requirments your good for night's with an A