Melt16

Battling with forward movement in sky

I've just finished my AFF and now doing my ISP program. I'm doing miserably bad, as I'm battling to move forward in the sky to dock on my instructor.

He has given me some good advice and said one of my issues is that I am backsliding, this has been corrected by widening and straightening my legs but when I try to move forward just feels like I am going nowhere :S

Was just wondering if any of you could give some tips on moving forward and other things I can do that will help.

Thanks

Definitely keep those legs OUT. If you want to move forward, straighten those legs and bring them together. To really get moving, bring your hands from around your head down towards your hips, always palm down. It's a sweeping motion, like wax-on wax-off.

And remember, unless you are jumping with someone else and trying to get closer or farther away, you're not going to be able to really tell how you're moving without a reference point.

Get video so you can see for yourself what is going on. Remember, you have 120mph wind trying to push your legs on your ass, you need to PUSH against the wind to get forward movement, and it's very very very common for students to think they are sticking their legs out when they are not due to the wind pressure.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Definitely keep those legs OUT. If you want to move forward, straighten those legs and bring them together. To really get moving, bring your hands from around your head down towards your hips, always palm down. It's a sweeping motion, like wax-on wax-off.

And remember, unless you are jumping with someone else and trying to get closer or farther away, you're not going to be able to really tell how you're moving without a reference point.

There is a big difference between forward motion towards someone to take a grip, and tracking (which is what you just described).

With 24 jumps you should concentrate more on listening to advice, and less on giving it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Basically think about where your area is. You move forward by moving the area of your body (legs, arms) backwards. That tilts the rest of you forward.

One of the most common problems in forward motion is reaching. You get close to someone, reach for them, move all that area forward, and backslide. Then you stop, try again, reach - and backslide. Etc etc.

To prevent this, forget about your arms on one dive. Jump with someone and tell them to pick up your grips, and tell yourself you are never touching anyone else's grips. Then fly your body until your face is six inches from theirs, and let them grab you. Many people find this uncomfortable (that's just too CLOSE!) but it gets you to where you need to be. The key on that drill is to use your arms to fly, not to dock.

Also, I would recommend getting your legs straighter and about shoulder width apart. Too wide and you can backslide.

I've seen a decent amount of backsliding due to people having their arms too low. Your elbows should be a little higher than your shoulder plane, and your hands level with your head. Some people have their elbows down, with their hands below head level. This has a cupping effect on the dynamic flow of air over your chest, and it pushes you back.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

> Some people have their elbows down, with their hands below head level. This has
>a cupping effect on the dynamic flow of air over your chest, and it pushes you back.

Interestingly, this is also the mantis position, and is how most experienced 4-way jumpers fly. That alone does not cause backsliding, although it can contribute.

Generally I teach the position you mention (elbows on level with or higher than shoulders) to first jumpers. Once off student status most jumpers start to bring their hands down to some degree, depending on their weight, objectives and body type. Heavier guys tend to fly with arms lower and tighter because they're less flexible and need the extra drag.

Just don't battle (you can't say that battling is relaxing) and listen to your instructors, and in a lesser extent, to the good advice of others.;)

I know, easier said than done, I had/have troubles too when it comes to moving foward, gotten into a battle with it too. I went up instead of fowards. :D

A rarer issue I've seen:

A novice who completely straightened his legs, but wasn't moving much because he was still in a massive arch. He is flexible and was used to jumping with a fast falling instructor.

While his knees were not bent at all, with the big arch, his upper legs (thighs) were pointing up seemingly 30 degrees. Therefore his lower legs (shins) were doing the same and weren't deflecting all that much additional air.

With 24/95 jumps you should concentrate more on listening to advice, and less on giving it.

Worth repeating in these cases.

Very true, I will keep that in mind, afterall I am a newbie that has a lot to learn. But who says that I didn't do that already? Didn't meant to be coming off to advicey but moreso to share my own experience with it, my fault.[:/]

When you straighten your legs what are you doing with your arms? Ask your instructor what he thinks about the position of your arms was on the last jump.

Relax and have fun. B|

Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Shut it you......... oh shit. I'd better sit down.

fortunately, an extra 1700 jumps is just a few keystrokes away!

The OP certainly isn't the first guy to have trouble with forward motion, though in reading the title, I thought he was the first who was forward sliding rather than backsliding.