FlyinBrian87

Smallish Canopy for Beginner

if you were referring to me saying I was naive, I wasn't saying in 200 jumps you will have encountered every possible situation, I was saying that you would probably be proficient with the canopy you are jumping on after 200 jumps, I'm sure there's people out there with 5,000 jumps who encounter new situations on a frequent basis, I was just giving a fellow newbie advice as I've read a lot of stories on here of people downsizing too quickly and injuring themselves

Canopy flight is the same way. Regardless of how much theory you know, you need the 'stick time' to build in the muscle memory and reflexes to be able to handle a faster canopy.

Remember, there are no go-arounds or missed approaches in skydiving. You're landing, and you're landing right now, like it or not. Equip yourself accordingly.

GOOD ADVICE. LISTEN TO IT.
I am a low numbers jumper, so I don't have specific equipment advice for you.
Fortunately/unfortunately I have had two experiences that might be of value to you in this decision.
First, I broke my leg during AFF (230 student canopy was not a factor) and I can say that it is not something you want to do. I was off of work for 4 months, pain, rehab, big loss of income, NO JUMPING FOR 15 MONTHS, spent all my savings, etc. In short it was all bad, no good except now I can talk to people about the reality of bad landings from personal knowledge.
Second, I bought a rig when I got my A license and the Sabre 2 190 canopy it came with was too small for me. I jumped it 25 times, and it kicked on me bad. I stood up 5 of 25 landings. All of those 25 landings were in good conditions, i.e. bright daylight, steady low winds, into the wind landings, large wide open landing area. My wing loading was just too high for my experience level so I swallowed my pride, got some advice from experienced jumpers, and upsized to a Sabre 2 210. Now I fly a wing loading I can handle and I have fun landing.
Again, you are flying an unpowered glider now, so the ability to add power to maintain control is not available. Being an airplane pilot definitely helps, but piloting your canopy is enough different that it will take time to learn it. Your eagerness at your newfound sport may say "Just Go For It " but the stats say you will bust your ass if you downsize too aggressively.
Blue Skies, Safe Landings!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Didn't mean to insult by any means apologies my fellow jumper :P
I was refering to this sentence tho : there's no reason to rush to something smaller until you've experienced just about every possible situation to be thrown your way- which to me means you will never go smaller because nobody knows when a new situation will present itself :ph34r:
I am just angry with people who always attack someone when a question is asked on these forums
>:(

It looks like your WL would be a little high for the number of jumps you have now. What you could do is buy a rig which will accommodate 170 and borrow 190 canopy for a while or demo some 190's before you'r ready for 170. The problem is that your reserve most likely will be on a smaller size and you can't borrow biger reserve :). Well it's up to you what kind of risk you are willing to take.
Now people on these forums will scare you in every way they possibly can. Often you will get responses from someone( emphasis on someone) who "knows everything" who will never downsize in his life because has no idea how to land that piece of fabric over his head but has a good number of jumps...
Also... nobody is protected from injury no matter how many jumps you have on the canopy or in total.
That being said your chances a greater for that same reason because 170 is a fast canopy. If you want to be bashed to death ask questions here if you want honest answer ask questions at the drop zone ;)
now canopy nazis ATTACK!

:D:D:D .... that is too funny. I agree, he should be asking the people who know him....know where he jumps, know how he responds to different stresses, know the outs and the area that he will be landing in. I gave my injury just as an example that even when loaded lightly shit can still hit the fan ---- and you can get hurt. That is quite honestly the risk that we take to be in the sky...a risk that I am willing to take. I am glad I wasn't loaded heavier or it would have been a worse outcome..... and it totally sucked being out for the season[:/]
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Did not mean to cause any debate. What i orginally posted seemed like i was a classic fresh skydiver who wants the smallest tightest rig around. Far from the truth, I wouldnt mind jumping a tie dye pink and purple rig with a 260 main in it for the next 2 years. As long as the rig has a reputation and is SAFE....not just airworthy but SAFE! I've had my close calls in airplanes that were "airworthy".

I just wanted to know honestly, how safe would it be for me to jump a rig that has been sitting in my house. I need my legs as a professional pilot so i will wait on jumping a 170 until i have more canopy skills. I will look around for a 190-210 for now. But i just refuse to jump these dumpy old rigs. I am tempted to buy brand new unless i can find a good beginner rig. Not one of those early 1990's that has been modified a bagillion times.
Dont cry because its over...Smile because it happened!

:D:D:D .... that is too funny. I agree, he should be asking the people who know him....know where he jumps, know how he responds to different stresses, know the outs and the area that he will be landing in. I gave my injury just as an example that even when loaded lightly shit can still hit the fan ---- and you can get hurt. That is quite honestly the risk that we take to be in the sky...a risk that I am willing to take. I am glad I wasn't loaded heavier or it would have been a worse outcome..... and it totally sucked being out for the season[:/]

I posted a similar question here a little while back. I also asked at the DZ and got three different opinions from three different instructors! It's nice to have this place to ask some questions when our questions get different answers from all sources! I think that asking around helps people get as much advice as possible and helps them to make a better decision for themselves. That's why I ask questions! :)

Did not mean to cause any debate. What i orginally posted seemed like i was a classic fresh skydiver who wants the smallest tightest rig around. Far from the truth, I wouldnt mind jumping a tie dye pink and purple rig with a 260 main in it for the next 2 years. As long as the rig has a reputation and is SAFE....not just airworthy but SAFE! I've had my close calls in airplanes that were "airworthy".

I just wanted to know honestly, how safe would it be for me to jump a rig that has been sitting in my house. I need my legs as a professional pilot so i will wait on jumping a 170 until i have more canopy skills. I will look around for a 190-210 for now. But i just refuse to jump these dumpy old rigs. I am tempted to buy brand new unless i can find a good beginner rig. Not one of those early 1990's that has been modified a bagillion times.

Not here to debate anything .... more just tell you what happened to me to give you another perspective. I think the guy I was responding to has some very valid points which is why I was saying go back to the people who
1.) know what you are capable of....they have seen you fly first hand and know what your capabilities are as well as the altitude and the weather challenges that you may face. What I face in the eastern part of washington state at the altitude I face it in is probably different that what you do in your area. I know that in our outs our major problems are dust devils and sagebrush....probably not the same for you. We also get 105 degree weather and sometimes have no wind.....and other times have winds that are up at 22-25 consistently. This is why your home dz, your fellow jumpers, and your instructors are better at steering you in the direction you need to go vs. talking to someone who may have never jumped in your area, doesn't know you or your ability ect.
2.) I think once you change to a different canopy even though you may be loaded the same or slightly less that you will get a zippier response and see what I mean. You will be happier with a spectre, sabre2, triathlon or pilot....or even a silhouette or whatever the people you jump with recommend.....but do some demoing so that you know what you are getting into or talk to the people you jump with. I have found that some canopies are very regional.

I bought a used rig...had 80 jumps on it...fits me perfect, fairly new cypress and and a reserve that had never been fired. You can get good deals out there and not go straight to brand new.....again....this a whole different debate and you can do a search and see the benefits of new vs. used rigs....there are ALOT of threads about that as well.
The bottom line is....you will need to find some people to mentor you through this process....they are there at your home DZ and they will help you. I told my story just to let you know that even at light wing loadings the unexpected can still throw you for a loop and you can still get hurt. THIS IS A PART OF THE RISK THAT WE TAKE TO SKYDIVE. I choose to do things to decrease the risk......helmet, AAD, Ditter, no high performance landings ect..... but what I see as risky is different from what you may see what is risky as well. What you will take as a risk I may say "no fucking way I would do that"....that is why the world is different and that is what makes the world go round. I hope that makes things as clear as mud. I wish you the best of luck in your adventures. Remember research is your friend, experience is something that will save you in a tight spot and even when every thing is perfect, it can still go to shit and you still end up hurt or worse. Good luck!;););)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Thanks for the help everyone. Trust me, this wasn't the ONLY source for me to make a decision. I do have friends and instructors with mixed oppinions. Just wanted to get some votes from people who do not know me.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I will find my canopy soon.;)

Dont cry because its over...Smile because it happened!

No canopy choice advice from me; the veterans here, and especially at your DZ, got that nailed.

Nothing wrong with asking here. The experienced guys especially have lots of good words of wisdom. But consider it food for thought and ideas to discuss with the seasoned vets and instructors who know you personally and have seen you fly.

If you don't have to have the cash for other purposes, consider stashing that bad boy in a dark dry place for when you might be ready. I held on to a Stilleto 135 for 4 or 5 years. When I was ready it was like a big free present to myself.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I held on to a Stilleto 135 for 4 or 5 years. When I was ready it was like a big free present to myself.

You have more mental strength than I do. I sent a Nitro 135 back to its seller because I didn't think I could hold off for the year or more it really called for B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

hey now what's wrong with gear manf. in the early 1990's mine works fine all the time. hell my reserve has a 1998 dom on it and it's never been deployed just like brand new. .... ( fricking newbes grumble grumble) grin
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .