farmgurl

If you were my tandem instructor

I did my first tandem jump a week ago, and loved it. I think I may be a person with the soul of a skydiver, but found out too late. I went into it with the idea of doing it once, and scratching it off the list. I've been consumed with it ever since. After long, hard consideration, I've decided it's just not the responsible thing to take up at this point in my life. The risk isn't worth it to me when I know what can and does happen, compared to my love of family, and anticipation of grandchildren. Had I done my first jump at 19, I'm pretty sure it would be a different story.
The sensory overload on my jump was so much that I completely spaced out what I was supposed to be doing, and didn't pull when I was supposed to. Of course, the instructor took care of everything and got me safely to the ground. I just don't want to let it go like that. I'd like to go back, get the same instructor and not be just cargo this time.
If you were my instructor, would you dread seeing me come back if I'm.....
46 years old, and likely not going to become a student.
Mainly want the satisfaction of pulling the cord, and help steer to the LZ
I'm 5'8" 190 lbs.
I'm in decent physical shape. Toting extra pounds to be sure, but am also pretty muscular.
I've already paid for my second jump, and after I read the thread about fat tandems, started having second thoughts. I don't want to be a story the TI's are laughing about as I drive away. People watch my video and say how brave I was to go skydiving. I feel like shit, because I didn't skydive...my instructor did, and I was along for the ride. And, I know that a second tandem jump doesn't make me a skydiver. :)So, would you roll your eyes, and think "another tub", or would you understand what I mean and humor an ol' lady?

5'8" and 190 is not the body type that tandem masters are concerned about when they're concerned about students who are not in physical condition to do this sport. You are under the weight limit, relatively height/weight proportional, and self-described "decent physical shape."

Sensory overload is very common on the first jump. Don't let your performance on your first tandem make your decision for you about whether you think you can/should/will be able to perform on subsequent jumps.

It makes me sad that you feel sad because of reading the mocking comments of tandem instructors about overweight customers. Yes, there are customers who are overweight to a point where they can't safely be taken on a skydive - because of safety - there are total weight limits on the gear, there are limits to how the tandem harnesses can be adjusted, and certain body shapes just don't work. But (in my humble, non-tandem-instructor opinion), yours doesn't sound like a body type that would be a safety concern at all.

Go jump again - I bet this time you will pull. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My guess would be take the money and show you the show. Only equation I know in skydiving is person or persons + parachute + jumping out of plane = skydive. You did a skydive, you just didn't make it one you could repeat. I don't mean that in a negative way either, you experienced something most people won't in a lifetime; and you want to do it again. And who cares if all you do is tandems all your life as long as you love what you do when you do it.

I didn't pull on my first tandem either, felt a bit grumpy about that but it's all good. I had think gloves on because it was November here in the NE & just couldn't feel the golf ball. :(

I found my second scarier than my first though, but still loads of fun. Go for it!

Like someone else said, overload is pretty normal, your second should be a lot better. :)

If I was your tandem Instructor, I'd give you a full briefing, full dirt dive, and work with you all the way through the jump to make sure that your second jump was what it should be. Don't be worried about the overload on the first jump. That is exactly why tandems work so well. Now that you know what to expect, you'll be much better. Just remember to take several deep breaths heading to the door, arch on exit, breathe in freefall, and relax. You'll do just fine. By the way, please don't lump all of us TI's in with the few who treat students like a payload. I've done over 1700 tandem jumps in the last 4 years, and none of them was "just" another jump. If you are willing to place your life in my hands, I am willing to do the best job I can to make your jump a success. I'll bet your Instructor feels the same way. If you can't find an Instructor that will do that, let me know. And, don't let being 46 deter you. I'm 52.
It doesn't deter me. Have a great second jump.

>If you were my instructor, would you dread seeing me come back . . .

Not at all. Believe me, there are people I dread, but your self description makes it sound like you're far from one of them. You might consider AFF as well - you'll be far more "in control" even if you just do one jump.

For sure go back and do another. Your body size/weight are well within range, so you are not the "fat" students that create headaches for instructors.

It sounds like you have solid and reasonable goals, and every instructor I've ever worked with thinks that a good thing. Just make sure you tell the staff it's your second jump, and lay out your objectives so they can help you achieve them.

So yeah, go back, do a bit more on the jump, and have fun!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

If I was your instructor I would look at your logbook, and ask you what you did on your first jump, and then train you to do more, building on the first jump.

If there was something you wanted to do on the first jump but did not, I would review this and train you in a way to help you accomplish it on your second.

Once in a while I get to take someone who has 2 or 3 tandem jumps over the years, and we both know that they are not interested in becoming a solo skydiver.

That's OK, because I can teach them some more advanced things that few tandem students would ever be taught if it was assumed they would go on to solo jump training.

Plus, by that time, they can almost fly the canopy by themselves to where we want to land, because they have done it before.

I believe I'll go skydiving ;)
I would have never believed I'd be giving serious thought to whether I should learn to skydive. Most of the last week, I'd either find myself with a big dopey grin on my face, or be lost in thought of the pros and cons of taking it up as a hobby. And I'm one of those people, when I'm into something, I'm INTO it.
I had a great guy for an instructor. He really appeared to enjoy his job, and I thought at the time how awesome it would be to be able to give people that experience. My feeling like cargo was all on my part, watching the video, not at all because he acted that way.
Lol, I guess I'll do a second tandem jump and worry about the third time later.
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply!

Unless you arched... like a cat... or threw-up on your Tandem Master, I doubt they'd be upset to see you coming out again for another jump.

You don't have to be 19 to start skydiving. I was 26 when I started and I know several folks that started in their 40s, are now in their 50s or 60s and have 1000s of jumps.

If you want to use skydiving as a motivator to hit the gym too, go for it!

Those with family, family first and all that, but remember, your responsibilty towards grandchildren is to spoil them, not support them! :P;):D

The sensory overload on my jump was so much that I completely spaced out what I was supposed to be doing, and didn't pull when I was supposed to.
I think you just described what most people recall of their first jump. Pure sensory overload. That's why students start with Tandems like you did, or Static Line (where the ripcord is pulled for you), pilot-chute assist (where the instructor pulls the pilot chute from the plane) or AFF (where the instructor is there to pull).

We have video of my dad doing a tandem, and come pull time he was just geeking the camera. The TI shoved the altimeter in front of his face, gave him the pull signal, and everything, and my dad just kept on smiling at the camera as the instructor pulled. Watch some videos on-line -- this seems to be how most tandems go.

It sounds like you had a good time, didn't freak out, and did what you were supposed to do on your first jump (survive). You should go again.

And then you can decide whether you are going to go a third time, or enter the student program, or just enjoy the memories (where's the fun in that?). At my old dropzone, we had an old lady who came back every year on her birthday to do a tandem. I think she was in her mid 80's when the place closed.

Your age is fine. I started at 53 years old and now have 2400 skydives and am 64 years old.
I have made skydiving a major focus of my life and I still love every jump.
Take it one level at a time and before you know it, you will have graduated and will be a regular jumper.
You are only as good as you think you are.

People watch my video and say how brave I was to go skydiving. I feel like shit, because I didn't skydive...my instructor did, and I was along for the ride. And, I know that a second tandem jump doesn't make me a skydiver.
So, would you roll your eyes, and think "another tub", or would you understand what I mean and humor an ol' lady?

Hey, farmgurl -

Just one more thing I wanted to point out (that someone mentioned higher up the thread):

Some people may disagree, but where I come from, you make a skydive, and you're a skydiver. No if's, and's, or but's about it. It takes a certain type of person to decide, "I'm going to jump out of an airplane today," and you did. You could have always said "Stop!" as you were walking to the door...but you didn't. You made it out the door and into the blue sky.

At my home DZ, just about everyone who comes out and makes a jump is 'part of the club'. And if you stick around long enough on the day you make a tandem, you'll wind up sharing a beer around the bonfire and hearing stories of funnels, malfunctions, and questionable taste.

Don't think of yourself as someone just 'along for the ride'. Your post here shows that you weren't that sort of person. I'm sure you get their point by now, but I'll echo everyone else: don't let perceived obstacles like age or physical issues get in your way. Age is just a number on a page that people use to categorize other people, only because they need the security of being able to define something/someone. It may mean something to them, but don't let it mean anything to you.

if you decide you love this and want to keep doing it, then go for it. You'll find it's a very rewarding decision to make...and it's never too late. Go enjoy your second jump! :)
Signatures are the new black.

From a fellow newbie's point of view, I just did my second tandem jump in July and let me tell you that it is very true what everyone on here say's that you see so much more on the 2nd jump.

My first jump was great, but I dont remember much, I was just completely sensory overloaded and had alot of trouble even breathing which looked funny as hell on the video lol. But on my 2nd jump I was not only able to see alot more but I was able to breath quite easily, and even felt very self aware. I remember acually thinking about how I was arching during freefall and had enough presence of mind that I could think. Now im hooked and once I have the cash Im going to start my classes and get my A license and from there my goal is to get my D license eventually.

If you never do a 3rd jump, def atleast do a 2nd you will not regret it.

Thanks for being so supportive. I'm not really worried about my age, it's kind of an unhandy TIME to want to get into this as a hobby. I tend to go way overboard when I get into something..addictive personality. I'm helping my DD plan her wedding, it's about time to start harvest, etc. I have a 3-3 1/2 hour drive to the drop zone. I think if I wanted to do the AFF, I'd go camp for a week. and that's gonna have to wait until next year. Lol, I've given this a LOT of thought, and I'm keeping an open mind. If all I ever do is tandems, fine. If I learn to go solo, that'll be awesome.

jrmaf-Nah, I wouldn't lump all TI's together. I gotta think that there's a good majority who really enjoy showing someone the sport, especially their first time. My son and I both went, and we both had great instructors and videographers. They made sure we had a good time, and we all had a lot of laughs along the way.

Peek, what you're saying is exactly what I want from my next jump. Start where we left off, learn a bit about steering, etc. and see where we go from there.

Zig-Zag, I neither arched like a cat nor threw up :D I did, however pinch my instructors cheeks when we got back on the ground. Face-cheeks, by the way....anything else just seemed like a bit much for our first jump.
"Those with family, family first and all that, but remember, your responsibilty towards grandchildren is to spoil them, not support them!" AMEN to that, and I can't WAIT!

Lol, Chubba. I had a DEATH grip on my straps when we went out the door of the plane. I'm not sure how I thought that was going to help.

Fred, I did exactly what your Dad did. I had NO idea why my arm got shoved in front of my face...I just kept geekin' it up for the camera. I was pretty shocked when the instructor pulled...no way did that feel like a minute of free-fall.

Monkey, Grannyinthesky ROCKS! Thanks for the links.

stevorino, ain't no way 53 is old. Inside I'm not a day older than I was 30 years ago, the packaging is just a bit worn and frayed, lol!
None of the "youngsters" at the DZ batted an eye at my age. Now, some of my young nieces and nephews thought it was really weird for me to make my first jump at my age. It's all good...time goes by pretty fast, and soon enough they'll find out 40 doesn't make you ready for the old folks home. I'm the CRAZY aunt..and I like that just fine.

Again, thanks for all the support! I'm all pumped up about scheduling the second jump...and for whatever comes after that!

Video? Let's see it! :)

I've got someone working on getting it on Youtube. My dinosaur computer doesn't know what a DVD is. Best I can do now is a link to the slide show. Lemme see if I can puzzle THAT out
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/bshearer/Skydive%20Chicago/?action=view&current=5019e02a.pbw

My son asked to go skydiving for his birthday, so here's the boy who started the whole thing. He wanted to get over his fear of HEIGHTS:S
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/bshearer/Skydive%20Chicago/?action=view&current=46962420.pbw

You look like you're about the same size/weight/age as one of my passengers last week. She did a great job and was so much fun to jump with, I think I had as much fun as she did. She helped me steer the parachute in for a soft stand up landing, and laughed and smiled the whole time. I'd go with her again in a heartbeat. I'd take you again too. B|