bloody_trauma

2008 Black & Gold Meet

anyone have any information about how to go about getting to go to the meet. do you go TDY? how do you do that? The dates this year are from the saturday the 8th to tuesday the 11th of november... and you can't be in a leave status... i'm confused, but i really wanna go!:S matthewcline? skymonkey? Lou?! Anyone? HELP!
Fly it like you stole it

Send the GKs an email asking if Permissive TDY orders are acceptable. If so, request that your unit place you on Permissive TDY for those days. If you are active duty you likely have all four days off anyway (Veterans Day weekend) - Permissive TDY will mean that you have official permission to be at Laurinburg for those days at your own expense without leave days being charged against you.
Arrive Safely

John

This is the first time I hera of this. I wanna go! I told my shirt already to get me on some type of orders. Here's my question though, how do they make the teams up? Do I need to bring more guys with me? Do they make up the teams randomly?

Thanks.
Everything in excess is bad... except skydiving and sex!

This is part of their official announcement. I know it doesn't answer your specific question but it may answer some other people's questions:

9th Annual Black and Gold Competition
November 8-11, 2008

Our Annual Black and Gold meet is sponsored by the Golden Knights. Jump out of all Golden Knight aircraft, receive coaching one on one coaching jumps and large formation jumps. Compete in 4 way, 8 way and accuracy competition.

Must be Active duty Military(any branch). Meet USPA Membership A-license requirements for coaching jumps. Must have an AAD. Must have 150 jumps to compete in 4 way event.Must have 200 jumps to compete in 8 way event.

Cannot be on leave.

Must be Active duty National Guard or Reserves for November 8-11,2008. Orders must be in hand and NOT WEEKEND DUTY. Also ROTC Cadets with letter from school stating you are a fulltime Cadet student.

This event is open to the public. Bring out entire family and watch.

Visit our website www.armygoldenknights.com for more information and download the registration form.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

In the past from my experience, they have had teams made up on the spot and some arrive already made up.

E-mail them and let them know your solo and they will help you out. For 8 way speed it is usually made up teams.

So far this is the only draw back to retiring.[:/]:P

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

So far this is the only draw back to retiring.

You got THAT right, Matt! It was a sad, sad day when the team decided that they were only going to allow active duty to participate. We used to routinely let retirees, dependants, and DA civilians compete at the old "military nationals" which is what the Black and Gold meet used to be before the death of the military clubs.

The meet used to, back in the day, be hosted by different military clubs. It would jump between the GB club, the 82nd club, and the XVIII corps parachute club on Fort Bragg. We used to get a lot of foreign military teams at the meet, too. Fun stuff.

Chuck

From what I understand, it's more of a tool to be sure you are informing your commander that you are off skydiving for the weekend. If you are on permissive TDY, then your supervisor has approved it. If you are off on leave, you could be doing anything. (without his knowledge)

I imagine it helps protect the meet and organizers.

Chuck (or anyone who knows),

Why the rule about not being allowed to be on ordinary leave status? Seems odd. Are they tring to keep it a Fort Bragg only, or military teams only kind of thing and limit individual jumpers?

CDR

From AR 600-8-10

PERMISSIVE TDY

Permissive TDY is absence from the duty section not charged as leave but at no expense to the government. The purpose of permissive TDY is to perform a semiofficial activity; in other words, one that is mutually beneficial to the service and the soldier.

Examples of appropriate use of permissive TDY are participation in DA-sponsored sporting events, attending professional or technical meetings which have a direct relationship to the soldier's career, and reviewing official military records. A common use is house hunting.

See AR 600-8-10 for details on submitting requests and approving authority (normally is dependent on the number of days). Also check the regulation for restriction on when permissive TDY is not appropriate.

REFERENCES:

DA Form 31: Request and Authority for Leave

This saves the soldier's leave and I am sure it also goes a long way in determining the validity of "line of duty" in the event of an accident/injury and or UCMJ.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The rule about not being on leave is because if something happens to you, your SGLI (Life insuranre) doesn't have to be paid by the military. You can't conduct military operations while on leave. It's kind of like getting killed in a car wreck if you aren't wearing a seatbelt. The military isn't obligated to pay your beneficiaries if you die while breaking the rules...It does suck that they won't allow retirees. I think they should....everyone except Chuck! Ha!
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Chuck (or anyone who knows),

Why the rule about not being allowed to be on ordinary leave status? Seems odd. Are they tring to keep it a Fort Bragg only, or military teams only kind of thing and limit individual jumpers?

CDR

Hey Chris,

When you FINALLY become the commander of the USAPT, please consider we ultimatly-cool and terribly-attractive retirees for inclusion in the meet. If you continue in the previous habit of neglecting us, then just know that you will never, ever have a chance of working for us in the civilian sector with NEK or any of the other civilian contracting company. Never mind....As an LTC (or greater by this time) you ought to know this. Not allowing retirees is bullshit. My ID card is as valid as yours in the PX.

Carlos Azul

Chuck,

If that ever comes to pass, I will square it away. I should know about O6 by late November. In the meantime I have a year in Afghanistan to get through when I deploy next month.

I don't want to work for a contractor, though. I am trying to talk the wife into living in a broken down bus at the end of the runway at Z-Hills when I pack it in.

...and yes, you guys are cool and attractive!

Chris

well... they are coach jumps... ;)

wahts it say?

Meet USPA Membership A-license requirements for coaching jumps

whats that mean? if you are AFF: 10-13 or SL/IAD: 16-17 (categories F-H) then you can be supervised by a coach or higher rating

would that satisfy the above requirement? sounds like it to me
Fly it like you stole it

Here ya go, the definitive way to find out all the info you need:

Call the Administration office at 910-396-4800.

Or you could go to the website at http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/goldenknights/Webpage2005_content.html Although that won't tell you much more than the copy of the email I posted earlier.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.