Heatmiser

Watching a 1st jump student thinking "Oh *@#t that guys gonna die"

Why has someone got to bring up Lutz? Haven't we seen this idiot enough? Do you people who have never seen him before know that he sued everybody - including the power company? What a Lutz, do a search. :D:D:D

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I can't resist poiting out that your username sounds similar to the name of a certain AFF student who "watched his chute go bye-bye" and the fact that the "L" and "N" keys are very close together.:):P

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

>So...instead of pulling his main chute, he pulls the cutaway handle?

This was common back "in the day" when people used hip mounted ripcords. They weren't far from the cutaway handle. I had more than one fight at 5000 feet with a student who was dead-set on pulling the soft handle instead of the hard one.

On the ground, with the radio watching a severe toggle-jockey AFF Level 1.

Remaining calm and trying to get him to relax and take it easy on steering the canopy was not working...he could hear me and responded to directions such as turn, stop turn, etc, but continued to flail away on the toggles all the way to the ground. I was sure that I was going to see an injury.

Fortunately for him, and me, he flared when I told him to and he flared smoothly and evenly and had a nice soft landing.

More good news: We discussed it and he did wonderfully well on Level 2...smooth as glass.
I told him that if he was driving his car like that and I was a cop, I'd have pulled him over and hauled him to jail on a DWI.
:D:D

Yeah - man.. those guys can be really rough to deal with. I have had a few this season that "Left turn" "let it fly' required me having them doing multipule rotations to get them flying in the right direction because they were pulling the toggles to their feet B|;):ph34r:

They usually understand what they are doing wrong once they get down though. Just damn hard to get em goin the right directions!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The Lutz video is at least a good case for illustrating "don't rely on your RSL". (they can fail). I think it's probably been discussed (and probably ad-nauseum) elsewhere, but my inclination to search and sift through myriads of posts to find it today is really low - so maybe somebody in here just knows and can advise - in this particular case (Lutz), did his RSL fail, or was it found to be disconnected, rig not equipped, or what? I know I've seen conversation in the instructors forums about dumping the main when an AFF Student actually gets their cut-away, as Lutz did - and was done in this case - and theoretically that SHOULD as a result, bottom line get a good reserve over their heads (with an RSL pull) - but in this case, that did not seem to happen.

Sorry for the hijack, but this has now just gotten me curious. Does anyone happen in the Lutz case, to just know what also happened there?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I can't resist poiting out that your username sounds similar to the name of a certain AFF student who "watched his chute go bye-bye" and the fact that the "L" and "N" keys are very close together.:):P

Crap! >:( I ain't changing my user name. >:(>:(:S

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Okay - putting my flame-retardant-suit on here now, and bracing myself, aren't some of us being maybe just a little harsh on the poor ol' indubitable Mr. Lutz?

For the record, I've gotten the answer to my question a few posts above, provided to me in PM - and find THIS now, to be interesting reading in specific reference to this.

I thought perhaps where it has now been brought up (and for some of us shouting in our heads now - yes... AGAIN regardless), that re-referencing perhaps maybe just a few of the DETAILS and facts/further insights to this "story" (now legend?) might be yet again good, for some.

It's a long post, but IMHO it is also informative - and heck ...YOU GUYS BROUGHT IT UP!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Seen a lot of first jump students get really creative under canopy. One day I was on the radio, center of the DZ and this kid was doing everything wrong. I'd tell him left turn and he'd pull the right toggle, Basically, doing everything he could to send himself into an off DZ landing.

His family was about 100 yards away observing (which I'd totally forgot) when I start getting pissed with this kid. The old Master Sergeant in me pops out and I holler in the radio, "YOU BETTER PULL YOUR FUCKING HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS AND START LISTENING TO ME AND DO EXACTLY AS I TELL YOU OR THIS FUCKING LANDING IS GONNA HURT!!!

Snap. He pulls his head out and does exactly what I tell him and he has a great landing right in the middle of the DZ. We gather up his stuff and head to the hangar when I see his family there and have an "oh shit" I just flamed the kid in front of his family moment.

I went to his Dad, Mom, sisters, brothers and apologized for my language. His Dad says, "Hey, don't worry about it, I've had that same discussion with him on more than one occasion" and the family starts the "yup, it's true" laugh. We appreciate your bringing him down safely.

Point is... sometimes the situation needs to be geared for the student.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

So true...

I tell them on the First Jump Course that if the guy's voice on the radio gets louder, or raises an octave or two, they are probably screwing up and to start paying attention before they break themselves.

Manifest knows that when I start using my Parade Square voice on the radio that I have someone "Short Bus Special" under canopy.

It works most of the time. Only had one student over 16 years of radio who broke himself. (knock on wood).

Blue ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Okay - putting my flame-retardant-suit on here now, and bracing myself, aren't some of us being maybe just a little harsh on the poor ol' indubitable Mr. Lutz?

For the record, I've gotten the answer to my question a few posts above, provided to me in PM - and find THIS now, to be interesting reading in specific reference to this.

I thought perhaps where it has now been brought up (and for some of us shouting in our heads now - yes... AGAIN regardless), that re-referencing perhaps maybe just a few of the DETAILS and facts/further insights to this "story" (now legend?) might be yet again good, for some.

It's a long post, but IMHO it is also informative - and heck ...YOU GUYS BROUGHT IT UP!

Lutz gets the abuse he deserves simply because he failed to own up to his responsibility the moment he filed a lawsuit.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I remember a guy at the DZ about a year ago coming in on final, He probably had about 3 or 4 jumps not listening to anything the instructors were saying on the radio. They told him to turn in to wind and he just kept going...right on the middle of the runway....wile the otter is coming in for landing! All you heard was the instructor yelling at him to get the fuck off the runway NOW, and the sound of the otter powering up to pull up. If we had a less experienced pilot this guy would have been road kill. Let’s just say the instructor had to calm the pilot down before he had a talk with the student.

Posting on topic (I can do that too, you know), I just viewed the video of my fir-..my pre-second landing.
I remember that at the time I got nervous by the ground coming up, deciding to "rather flare early than late".
This time I went "holy shit" in front of my PC together with Batgirl (I didn't have radio) and the camera guy in the film. Thank god for elongated steering lines...:S

Somewhat later in my career I was assisting an instructor on the LZ. In the end I turned my back and closed my eyes until everyone had more or less touched down, with or without flare.
Funny how history keeps repeating itself :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Yeah - man.. those guys can be really rough to deal with. I have had a few this season that "Left turn" "let it fly' required me having them doing multipule rotations to get them flying in the right direction because they were pulling the toggles to their feet B|;):ph34r:

They usually understand what they are doing wrong once they get down though. Just damn hard to get em goin the right directions!

I'll remember that this Spring...[:/]
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

In reference to the radio guys, props to them. This doesn't have a lot to do with that guys mistake, but I thought I'd make a funny admission about my first jump. I was the ONLY AFF student on the load, mkay? And while under canopy I heard the DZO guiding me to make a safe landing, but I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or not... I'm the only student... gee... I wonder... This hit me after about 10 seconds of ?HUH? Clearly I was preoccupied with the view. To my credit, however, he was calling me Bethany and I got a little confused. His words "I can't remember your name... Bethany? Whatever your damn name is, under the bright orange and yellow canopy [I looked up and what did I see? Orange and yellow... DURHHHH!]: 90 LEFT!!!!!" I landed nice and safely, on heading, and exactly where I was supposed to land. I just thought that that was perhaps one of my most noteworthy blonde moments and still something I give myself shit for it. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

We had a student a few weeks ago that cut away because this thing came sliding down her lines. She cuts away, and SHIT! It happens again, damn piece of fabric caught in the lines and sliding down towards her hands.

Good thing she didn't have a hook knife.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley