dthames

"Want to" verses "Need to" decisions

The idea of not being able to fix a stable line twist under a fully inflated and flying canopy would have been laughable to me. But that was before yesterday. There was a huge temptation to continue to work to fix it. But as a recent thread reminded us, “Know your decision altitude or your hard deck and stick to it”. I very much wanted to stay with it and fix the twists. But I had made little or no progress and I was at 2,000 feet. My mind went back and forth a couple of times, should I stay or should I go. I will admit the temptation to stay and fix it…..just a little longer was there. I went ahead and did what I was trained to do. I stopped doing what I wanted to do. I did what I needed to do. That was one lesson I tried to drill into my kids before they were grown.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Good choice!

Obviously. After all, he lived to tell the tale :)

...now the important question, - was that your FIRST cut~away?! ;)

Nah, pre-second! :P

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

airtwardo

Good choice!

...now the important question, - was that your FIRST cut~away?! ;)

I had not cut away prior to yesterday.

I also was wearing my GPS recorder and can see I was slowed back down in about 330 feet.....that time.

[inline before.jpg][inline after.jpg]

Recently I have gained the tool needed to put the GPS data on Closed Caption Youtube videos. I added it to this cutaway video so that is possible to see what the vertical fall rated and altitude does from a stable slow cutaway.

At the bottom of the Youtube screen there is a CC button that needs to be on to see the Closed Captions.

edited to correct link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZGOVQbXQ8

dthames

Recently I have gained the tool needed to put the GPS data on Closed Caption Youtube videos. I added it to this cutaway video so that is possible to see what the vertical fall rated and altitude does from a stable slow cutaway.

At the bottom of the Youtube screen there is a CC button that needs to be on to see the Closed Captions.

http://www.youtube.com/timedtext?tab=act&v=IWZGOVQbXQ8

You are not authorized to edit captions on this video

But this link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZGOVQbXQ8

:P

dthames

http://www.youtube.com/timedtext?tab=act&v=IWZGOVQbXQ8

Cool beans! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You did the right thing..

If you look at the connector links they're 'mismatched' as far as the line set lengths left to right...canopy was twisted in a way it's now loaded funky, may or may not be able to get her untwisted period- much less waste a lotta time playing.

Dan did the check list . .spread the risers - held 'em together - kicked...SEE YA! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

You did the right thing..

If you look at the connector links they're 'mismatched' as far as the line set lengths left to right...canopy was twisted in a way it's now loaded funky, may or may not be able to get her untwisted period- much less waste a lotta time playing.

Dan did the check list . .spread the risers - held 'em together - kicked...SEE YA! B|

Gotta admire the effort put in to correct it. He did it all and at the end you could almost see him thinking "damn... damndamndamn... oh well..."
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Good decision. It appeared to me that you had made NO progress by the time you decided to cutaway. It wasn't likely that things were going to get any better if you stayed.

It looks like you were a long way from the DZ. Did you recover main and free bag?
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

GLIDEANGLE

Good decision. It appeared to me that you had made NO progress by the time you decided to cutaway. It wasn't likely that things were going to get any better if you stayed.

It looks like you were a long way from the DZ. Did you recover main and free bag?

Yes, I just hung around the area as I was too far out to even think about getting back. I landed just downwind of my bag and had to hunt a bit for the main, as I had taken my eyes off it as I set up my landing. The rancher offered me his 4-wheeler to look for it. Nice guy.

What Twardo said about the risers had me in a very slow turn that I did not even notice, other than the fact that the thing kept torqueing back when I would ease up on kicking.

Big lesson, don't unzip the wingsuit but use it to get the twists out. An arm/wing in the breeze under control is better than all this suit dragging behind you like an anchor.
[inline slowturns.jpg]